Computer Related > Zenmate free proxy Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 8

Zenmate free proxy - Bobby
Downloaded this onto Chrome, now have a little green shield icon on top task bar but when try to connect to websites I am getting error

Unable to connect to the proxy server

ERR_PROXY_CONNECTION_FAILED
Hide details
A proxy server is a server that acts as an intermediary between your computer and other servers. Right now, your system is configured to use a proxy, but Google Chrome can't connect to it.
If you use a proxy server...
Check your proxy settings or contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is working. If you don't believe you should be using a proxy server: Go to the Chrome menu > Settings > + Show advanced settings > Change proxy settings... > LAN Settings and deselect "Use a proxy server for your LAN".

On virginmedia broadband if it makes any difference? I also usually use IE and that is working fine.

No doubt its something stupid and silly I have done wrong?
 Zenmate free proxy - No FM2R
I downloaded it on to Firefox, the shield was grey. I clicked on it, click "on" in the bottom right corner and it worked just fine.

Albeit that a US proxy isn't much use for me.

I cannot think why it would not work just as easily on Chrome, but I dislike Chrome and don't have it installed so I can't check it for you.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 25 Sep 15 at 00:49
 Zenmate free proxy - Zero

>> Albeit that a US proxy isn't much use for me.

If you click on the flag saying where you are, you can change it. To specify UK you will have to pay, but its a very cheap monthly charge.
no idea bobby, it works just fine for me on chrome.

>> no idea bobby, it works just fine for me on chrome.
>>
>>

community.virginmedia.com/t5/Internet-Security/Unable-to-connect-to-the-proxy-server-and-ERR-PROXY-CONNECTION/td-p/2858116
 Zenmate free proxy - Slidingpillar
I only occasionally need a proxy, but all the ones I've used have a front page where one types in the address of where one wants to go. True I use Firefox with them, but I can't see the page being browser dependant.

Go here and you'll see what I mean:
www.uswebproxy.com/
 Zenmate free proxy - rtj70
I assume Zen proxy works in a similar way to Hola? i.e. you are the proxy for someone else coming the other way? But that's got a load of security implications.
 Zenmate free proxy - No FM2R
>> I assume Zen proxy works in a similar way to Hola? i.e. you are the
>> proxy for someone else coming the other way? But that's got a load of security
>> implications.
>>

Can you expand a bit on that please?
 Zenmate free proxy - rtj70
If you start Hola, it finds someone in the same country running Hola that (a) you want to pretend you are in, and (b) wants to pretend they are in your country. A connection is then established between the two computers.

When you try to connect to say a US website, all your browsing goes via this other computer. Likewise their browsing goes via yours.

As you can see from this model of working, their browsing of websites is via your computer. And if there was an exploit in the code etc there is a risk they can access your computer or network. This is why security companies suggest strongly not to use Hola.
Latest Forum Posts