Computer Related > FREE AVG Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 25

FREE AVG - Roger.
Found this - ACG Internet Security, one year free.
If you like it be quick the offer expires in a day or so (According to the site).
I have grabbed it - hey it's free & I like free.
The registration code worked fine and I have days free trial.
A word of advice - use a masked. or throwaway, email to register on the download site as you agree to receive marketing in the T & Cs.
Don't bother with AVG's PC tune up button, it prompts you you download & install a clean-up program, which is good for one free clean/optimise, after which it's $$ to pay.
I un-installed that PDQ as I have plenty of free-ware to do those sort of jobs.

www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/free-avg-internet-security-2015-100-discount.372232/
 FREE AVG - Roger.
?
I meant days 364 days.Duh!
Last edited by: Roger. on Mon 5 Oct 15 at 07:07
 FREE AVG - VxFan
I thought AVG had two versions anyway.

A paid one, and a free one.

Or does this "free" one do more than the usual free one they offer?

To be honest though, I stopped using AVG approx 3 or 4 years ago because it became so bloated that it reduced the speed of my PC to a crawl.
 FREE AVG - movilogo
Yes, I also moved away from AVG.

Now use Avast, Zone Alarm, Panda etc.
 FREE AVG - Stuartli
I've used Avast! for many years after also eventually ditching AVG, Norton etc which were not in the same league...:-)
 FREE AVG - No FM2R
I never liked Norton et al for their persistent advertising and the sneaky way they embed themselves.

I junked AVG for the performance impact, and I was using Avast until recently.

I had some weird problems with W10 which eventually turned out to be entirely down to conflicts with Avast so I've junked that as well.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 5 Oct 15 at 12:37
 FREE AVG - Duncan
What's wrong with the Microsoft kit?

It's free and it gets updated automatically.
 FREE AVG - No FM2R
I don't know. It used to be insufficient but more people are saying its enough these days.

My concern is that it makes a very big and perhaps worthwhile target for the dickless.
 FREE AVG - Roger.
So far AVG has not has an effect on my laptop's performance - if it does I'll go back to Panda (free) & Windows firewall.
 FREE AVG - RattleandSmoke
I treat AVG as malware/junkware it is pretty useless (in my professional opinion).

www.av-comparatives.org/

I tend to supply Bitdefender or Kaspersky. Panda does seem to have a good reputation but I have no experience of it.

Again the Microsoft one is ok, but it is no longer as effective as it once was and MS them selves advise people on using a third party AV solution.

I am not a fan of Norton as it when it goes wrong it tends to go wrong badly.
 FREE AVG - The Melting Snowman
I used Kaspersky for a number of years and was happy with its performance. Now I don't use any since I don't need it.
 FREE AVG - Manatee
Avast is working OK for me with Windows 10, although the Browser Safety add-on occasionally blocks something I want but it's easy to override and can be disabled altogether if you don't want it.

I used solely MSE/Defender until this year, when it was reported as being weaker than it had been and I had in fact acquired some minor malware, with a software download I think.

I chose Avast based on what recent reviews I could find. They tend to leapfrog each other so the best last year probably isn't this year's.
 FREE AVG - Stuartli
>>I had some weird problems with W10 which eventually turned out to be entirely down to conflicts with Avast so I've junked that as well.>>

Put Windows 10 on three different Windows7 systems (desktop and two laptops), but all have run smoothly since the beginning of August. All had the free version of Avast! already installed.
 FREE AVG - No FM2R
What can I tell you?

I had Avast, I installed W10. Absolutely no problems. Then, about a month later, I suddenly had problems with search not working, being unable to move icons around on the desktop, unable to change icons on the start screen and various other symptoms.

I couldn't work it out; I couldn't work out any consistency, nor could I make it happen at will, and once it had happened I couldn't make it go away without powering off and on. Sometimes on reboot it went away for a while and sometimes it didn't.

In searching on the internet I found two other people who had similar, although not identical issues, and had removed Avast, which had made the problems go away.

So I uninstalled it and true enough all the problems went away. I reinstalled Avast and they came back, so now its gone for good.

I am pleased for you that you have not had the problem, clearly many or most people have not, but I and some others did. I would rather have kept Avast but it was not to be.

The problem having gone, I don;t care enough to work out the detail.

FREE AVG - Stuartli
Just might be to do with the fact that Avast! includes the means to scan for out of date software, browser software, network and performance issues and Windows 10 has thrown it a bit of of kilter?
 FREE AVG - smokie
Yeah but whatever the cause they'll have lost some customers (albeit free version ones) for good.

An experience I had at work with something not dissimilar was that a third party product written for the minicomputers I used to support was not written in accordance with the OS standards. For quite some time that was fine because the OS didn't used to check apps properly. But when we eventually tightened up the OS the 3rd party product no longer worked, nor could they make it work as they had got rid of the developers years previously.
 FREE AVG - No FM2R
I don;t know Stuart, perhaps.

If you Google something like "windows 10 start menu not working avast" then you should find a few pages of examples to peruse.

Clearly it hasn't bitten you, but perhaps something to keep in the back of your mind.
 FREE AVG - Slidingpillar
I'm using Avast on my Windows 10 laptop, no problems. But Avast on my older desktop that runs Vista decided to declare the whole internet dodgy and banned all pages.

I fiddled with settings, tried both the spawn of satan (IE10) and Chrome. Nothing doing so at the present, it's running Avira. Not sure I'd recommend it as it is a bit too enthusiastic about promoting its paid for services.
 FREE AVG - Dog
If I install Avira, will I be able to keep MSE on my PC as well?
 FREE AVG - Slidingpillar
Hope you're not asking me as I've no idea! Avira is mean to be streets ahead, so it begs the question, "why would you want to?"
 FREE AVG - Dog
>>it begs the question, "why would you want to?"

Indeed. I'll install it the morrow. Thanks Sp.
 FREE AVG - Dog
I gave MSE the elbow and installed Avira but, I couldn't get on wivvit because it was slowing down my browsing for some reason. I gave Avast a go, and that's v/good of course, but I gave that the Spanish archer too and installed a Panda which seams to be behaving itself so far, so it might be a goer :)
 FREE AVG - Stuartli
>>Clearly it hasn't bitten you, but perhaps something to keep in the back of your mind.>>

Thanks for that! Done a bit of Googling and one of interest was:

tinyurl.com/of62vz9

Reinstalling the Windows 10 apps might prove the key in this case although, for those who don't want them, Majorgeeks lists this (and I've installed and used it with enthusiasm!!):

tinyurl.com/q8zx2jw
 FREE AVG - No FM2R
On your first link I tried all the recommendations except "Reinstall Windows apps" without success. I guess sod's law says that one would have fixed it.

I cannot imagine why Avast was causing the issue, but it most definitely was. Perhaps I will try installing it again at the weekend and see what happens.
 FREE AVG - Stuartli
>>...except "Reinstall Windows apps" without success.>>

Apparently that one does work...:-)
 FREE AVG - No FM2R
Yes, and the horse you rode in on as well.
Latest Forum Posts