Computer Related > French accents Computing Issues
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 8

French accents - Ambo
Can anyone suggest an easy access to French accents in Word 7 please? Several were available via Function keys or by manipulating CTRL ALT and ALT GR, but no longer. I can access several series of assorted accents via Insert but they take ages to search and, in any case, there is no entry for grave accents.
 French accents - No FM2R
hrsbstaff.ednet.ns.ca/jamie_d/french_alt_codes.htm

In each case, hold the ALT key down and type the number shown on the numeric keypad.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 26 Oct 15 at 11:22
 French accents - Gromit
Call up the character map in Windows (easiest way is type CHARMAP into the "run" box off the start menu. Hover over the accent you want with your mouse; you'll see the CTRL+ALT combination you'd type to get the character in the status bar at the bottom of the character map window.

Same tip works if you select Symbol from the Insert menu item in Word...which is just another route to call up the same character map anyway.
 French accents - Ambo
Looks good, No FM2R, but how can I get this on to the Word page, i.e. so I can call it up in the way I call up Symbols after Insert?

Or maybe it is easier to print it out and use as a wall chart next to the screen?
 French accents - No FM2R
Print it out. I have the Spanish one pinned on the wall above my desk.

Then when you are typing and you want one of the accented characters, you simply type the code instead while holding the ALT button...

Press and hold ALT, type in the number required, release ALT. et voilà

Just remember that you MUST type the number into the numeric keyboard to your right, not the numbers across the top of your keyboard.
 French accents - No FM2R
p.s. although if you prefer, you could save it as a document on your desktop and copy/paste each character as you need it.

Seems a bit of a faff to me, but some prefer it.
 French accents - Ambo
Excellent, works like a charm. Many thanks.
 French accents - No FM2R
More than welcome, glad it helped.
 French accents - WillDeBeest
Another way is to select French as the language for the section in which you need the accents. Type your words as normal, then look for the wiggly red lines as Word suggests the accented version.

The commonest accent, though, is the acute. If that's all you need, you can type it directly using the Alt-Gr key and the appropriate vowel. That works for me in anything running on Windows 7.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Sat 7 Nov 15 at 19:17
Latest Forum Posts