Computer Related > OS x El Capitan ..... Computing Issues
Thread Author: Haywain Replies: 12

OS x El Capitan ..... - Haywain
The iMac is telling me that there's a new upgrade from Yosemite available - El Capitan.

Has anyone on here tried it yet? Any views?
 OS x El Capitan ..... - No FM2R
No help at all, sorry.

But by coincidence i was looking at this a few moments ago...

www.apple.com/uk/osx/whats-new/
 OS x El Capitan ..... - Zero
I have subsetted my MAC (mid 2011) on Mavericks. Could have moved to Yosemite, but dont like the way its merging looky feely with iPhone IOS, dont like notifications, and I would have to have upgraded some of my apps to ones I dont like.

El Capitan has features and functions that wont work on my mac (anything that needs the "metal api"), but its seems its been warmly received trouble free by those who can run it.

OS x El Capitan ..... - Zero
>> I have subsetted

Sunsetted
Mine's mid-2011 as well, running Yosemite.

Just read a few negative reviews ......... I think I'll wait for a month or two :-(
 OS x El Capitan ..... - rtj70
I have it running on my Macbook Pro (2013) without problems. I've not installed it on my iMac (2009) and I see the update finally triggered the App Store application to highlight there's an update. Well I've known that for ages. So the older Mac is still on Mavericks.
 OS x El Capitan ..... - MD
Petrol or Diesel?
 OS x El Capitan ..... - NortonES2
There have been a few hiccups with El Capitan, especially keychain issues. Personal experience of this. I'd avoid until the second revision, at least! 10.11.2 is apparently in beta form.
 OS x El Capitan ..... - CGNorwich
Upgraded my IMac today. As usual with Apple updates all went straightforwardly.
"Upgraded my IMac today."

How old is it, please, CG? I hear that newer Macs tend to fare better during updates. Mine is mid-2011.
 OS x El Capitan ..... - CGNorwich
It's a :

Mid 2010
3.06 GHz Intel Core 12
4GB Memory

So older than yours.
"It's a :..............."

Thanks for that, CG. I haven't got any wacky programmes installed, as far as I know, so mine ought to be able to deal with it.

The trouble is that the download went on for ages last time - we're only on 3 wotsits here, and I may hang on until we get fibre sorted out in the coming weeks.
 OS x El Capitan ..... - rtj70
Depending on what version you're upgrading from, older hardware might not work (or not without some older drivers/Kexts installing).

If you want to try to install it from a DVD image, I can send a copy on disk. Since when you download the upgrade you can take a copy of the installer app. Install it and it gets deleted.

Note: my download might not be the very latest - Apple update the installer when they upgrade the OS. I'm on El Capitan 10.11.1 on this Macbook.
Latest Forum Posts