Computer Related > USB charger Computing Issues
Thread Author: Dave Replies: 11

USB charger - Dave
I've got 4 devices, all with their own chargers of varying sizes and output power. I'm sick of swapping them all around, so can I just use one for all?

But if I use one of the smaller chargers for the tablet (which came with the largest charger) it takes forever to charge. So can I use the largest charger with the smaller devices that came with the smallest chargers?
 USB charger - Stuartli
The final paragraphs should prove of interest:

www.howtogeek.com/175734/htg-explains-can-you-use-any-charger-with-any-device/

phonetipz.com/can-i-use-any-charger-with-my-phone/

USB charger - No FM2R
>>, so can I just use one for all?

Yes.

You will do no harm. Some will charge faster or slower. It is possible that some will not charge at all but they will do no harm.

So if it works it works. If it doesn't, it doesn't

There is only one thing to watch;

If you use a powerful charger and AT THE SAME TIME use the device to do something intensive, then it is possible that the battery could get hot enough to damage itself, the device or stuff around it.
 USB charger - Fursty Ferret
If you have a genuine charger made by one of the big manufacturers (Apple, Nokia, Samsung etc) then use that for everything in preference to the unbranded cheap ones.

If you have a counterfeit (or suspected counterfeit adapter), throw it out.
 USB charger - VxFan
>> If you have a genuine charger made by one of the big manufacturers (Apple, Nokia,
>> Samsung etc) then use that for everything

My iPhone4 charger isn't powerful enough to charge my iPad Air with though.

Whilst I could use the iPad charger to charge my iPhone with, the iPhone charger is rated at ½ an amp, and the iPad one is 2.1 amps. In theory the phone should be able to cope with the extra current, but from past experience it shortens battery life.
 USB charger - legacylad
I bought an Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter to download pics & video direct from my new Olympus Tough ( waterproof) camera direct to my Ipad. Didn't work. Instead had to use my friends powered USB hub. Then downloaded in double quick time.
Drove to my local Office Max where the only powered USB hub was a Targus USB 3.0 4-port @ $62.99 + tax. No idea what the 3.0 signifies but will wait until I return to the UK where I am sure I can find one cheaper online.
 USB charger - Stuartli
>>No idea what the 3.0 signifies >>

It's part of the USB standard (latest is 3.1) See:

www.usb.org/developers/ssusb

USB charger - Fursty Ferret
Whilst I could use the iPad charger to charge my iPhone with, the iPhone charger is rated at ½ an amp, and the iPad one is 2.1 amps. In theory the phone should be able to cope with the extra current, but from past experience it shortens battery life.

Doesn't work like that, Dave - your iPhone will just sip the amount of power it needs to charge, not the full capacity of the adapter.

USB charger - No FM2R
It is absolutely true that amps are sucked not blown so one doesn't need to be overly concerned

However, using a phone while it is charging can raise the battery temperature sufficiently to shorten its life.
 USB charger - rtj70
If you have a quick charger and a device that is compatible, the charger detects the device requirements and delivers the optimal charge. This means that as well as supporting 5v charging, it can deliver 9v and some even 12v.

A Samsung Galaxy S6 for example comes with a quick charger and it will use 9v to more quickly charge the phone. So lets say it's a 2a charger, that's 18W to charge it. It is said 10 minutes charging will provide 4 hours of use.
 USB charger - VxFan
>> Doesn't work like that, Dave

All I'm going on is experience, which is good enough for me. I've previously shortened the life of my iPhone battery by using a higher output charger than the one supplied.

USB charger - WillDeBeest
So the battery in the control iPhone that only ever sucked from its own Apple charger lasted longer than the one on which you used other chargers?

Don't know, but I do have 2x iPhone 4S. Haven't treated them differently, though, just charged whichever needed it from whatever came to hand. The black one gets used for long work calls, often plugged into a charger at the same time. It's a year older than the white one, which hardly makes calls at all, but battery life still seems much the same.
Latest Forum Posts