Computer Related > Netbook issues Computing Issues
Thread Author: sooty123 Replies: 12

Netbook issues - sooty123
I've come to use my netbook, which is left unused until I travel, and after entering my password all I'm getting is a black screen. I left it about 30-40 mins and still nothing apart from the mouse icon which does move about as I touch the pad. Any ideas?
 Netbook issues - sherlock47
Are you running windows 10? the most recent update takes a LONG time to load and run, even longer if it is slow low spec machine. Can leave you in the metaphorical dark. It may benefit from a power of on cycle, but but I would leave it for some time yet.
No it's on Windows 7. It's not been turned on in a few months, so I'll leave it for a while yet.
Right, a message has appeared in the bottom right hand corner; Windows 7 Build 7601 This copy of Windows is not genuine.
 Netbook issues - No FM2R
Is it genuine?

Does the computer have one of those serial number / PAK stickers for W7?
 Netbook issues - No FM2R
www.whatvwant.com/this-copy-of-windows-is-not-genuine-easy-solution/
slight problem, nothing else has appeared. No start menu, shortcuts etc, nothing on a black screen apart from those few words.
 Netbook issues - No FM2R
Ah. Well, I've nothing clever to offer., I'm afraid. Its time to slap it about a bit.

Type for the power button. Press and hold it for 5 seconds or so and see if it shuts down in an orderly manner.

If not, press and hold the power button until it shuts switches off. Perhaps take the battery out if you can, unplug it.

And try rebooting.
Yes it's genuine, yes it has one of those stickers on the bottom.
 Netbook issues - No FM2R
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2008385

You need to Google, because there are a ton of different "solutions".
 Netbook issues - Zero
Sounds like a fundamental boot loader issue, so I'd invoke my recovery/rebuild process.
 Netbook issues - rtj70
If there's nothing on it that you need to keep, Zero's suggestion will probably save a lot of time. Yes it will then need to download patches etc. You'll never then know what was the problem but you also won't have wasted a lot of time on this.

This of course assumes (a) there's nothing you can't afford to lose and (b) you have a process to restore it or rebuild it.
Managed to get the normal screen on by just turning it off and on. I then choose a restore point when in safe mode. And the text was no longer there. However i assume there's a chance it will come back again?
Latest Forum Posts