Computer Related > Samsung Galaxy Tab - removing Ransomware Computing Issues
Thread Author: neiltoo Replies: 7

Samsung Galaxy Tab - removing Ransomware - neiltoo
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10 inch.I have been hi-jacked by a spurious item purporting to be from the UK Police, claiming that I am guilty of various unsavoury offences.
It's ransomware, I know, but it doesn't even let me navigate to the pay off line.

I have tried restarting several times, but it just opens on the same page.

What do I try next?

8o(
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 25 Nov 15 at 12:43
 Embarassing Problem - rtj70
Turn it off and start it in safe mode. This should be by:

1. Hold volume down and power buttons until it turns on
2. Release the power button but keep holding the volume down button until the home screen appears.

It should now show Safe Mode in the lower left of the screen.

Now find the app you've installed by mistake and remove it. The restart the device.
 Embarassing Problem - Zero
Its not an app, its merely an internet browser "open last page" hijack.
 Embarassing Problem - neiltoo
Sorry, it's a Galaxy tab 10.1 - earlier than the tab 4

RT - won't boot into safe mode.

Zero - Any further information?

Neil
 Embarassing Problem - No FM2R
Is there anything on there you care about?

If not then as rtj70 says "volume down + power buttons" for 10 seconds or so until it switches on and then release the buttons. Use the volume buttons to highlight wipe data (or poss Factory Reset) and then press the power button briefly to select. Select yes & reboot now.
 Embarassing Problem - rtj70
If it's just a web page problem, clearing the data for the web browser app might get rid of it. But there is ransomware on Android that does similar to what you describe.

Can you confirm it does this as soon as it finishes booting or is it just in the web browser?
 Embarassing Problem - neiltoo
Sorry for the delay in responding.

Thanks to all.

Eventually realised that I had accessed the safe mode page - it didn't say it was.

Factory reset and all is well. Spent some time reloading my apps.

Now just have to transfer my bookmarks from the laptop, Have exported as an html file, but can't find the import process into the Android browser.

More help required please.....

Neil
 Embarassing Problem - Roger.
Sync your PC web browser with your Android web browser?
Latest Forum Posts