Computer Related > Connecting telly to internet Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 14

Connecting telly to internet - bathtub tom
First Motors TV went internet only and now BBC3, so it looks like I've got to bite the bullet.

My system's an old CRT TV connected through a Humax PVR (model HDR-1800T) used as a digibox and recorder.

The Humax manual says I need a Wi-Fi USB adapter and make sure a USB Wi-Fi dongle is connected.

I've a Wi-Fi router, so do I also need the dongle?

I've a download speed of 3-4Mbps, is that enough?

Any suggestions as to further reading appreciated.
 Connecting telly to internet - Roger.
Smart tvs are so cheap these days, I'd go for a new Internet ready flat screen model.
Then all you need is a lan cable to link the telly and the router, although many new TV s are Wi-Fi enabled.
That may not be the best answer if you need to stream Internet content to the telly.
Last edited by: Roger. on Sun 21 Feb 16 at 14:18
 Connecting telly to internet - Dog
>>Smart tvs are so cheap these days, I'd go for a new Internet ready flat screen model.

www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/lg/32lf580v/lg-32lf580v?utm_source=emailmarketing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20160224__tv__actives&utm_content=2016-02-24_1958
 Connecting telly to internet - Zero

>> The Humax manual says I need a Wi-Fi USB adapter and make sure a USB
>> Wi-Fi dongle is connected.
>>
>> I've a Wi-Fi router, so do I also need the dongle?

the dongle plugs into the USB port of the humax so yes you need one

www.amazon.co.uk/Humax-WLAN-WiFI-150Mbps-Dongle-Black/dp/B006GJKAEU

>> I've a download speed of 3-4Mbps, is that enough?
>>
In theory yes, in practise, Not a hope of buffer free streaming. It will be a very annoying visual experience.
 Connecting telly to internet - Robin O'Reliant
If you've got a HDMI port on the Humax, why not use a Chromecast and stream the signal from your PC?
 Connecting telly to internet - CGNorwich
"In theory yes, in practise, Not a hope of buffer free streaming. It will be a very annoying visual experience."

From experience I would say that would be true of HD quality but SD quality will be OK

I think you need 5-6 for HD
 Connecting telly to internet - geoff1248
Another vote for a Chromecast. Connects to the Internet via your wireless network accessing through your router and works without your PC being turned on. However if you want to use it in this way i.e. without your PC, then you will need a smart phone or tablet to operate the Chromecast - android or iOS will work by downloading the app.
I would agree that you need around 5-6 for full HD (1080), but if your screen is 34" or less then 720 is fine and anything above 3 should be fine.
I must admit that on smaller screens I cannot really notice much difference between 1080 and 720.
>> "In theory yes, in practise, Not a hope of buffer free streaming. It will be
>> a very annoying visual experience."
>>
>> From experience I would say that would be true of HD quality but SD quality
>> will be OK

we must have different experiences then

Connecting telly to internet - VxFan
>> the dongle plugs into the USB port of the humax so yes you need one

I've found the external one Sky issue also works on the Humax HDR-1800T, and you can also power it from the Humax's USB port with the right lead.
Sorry, been away.

First of all, my PC's upstairs in a bedroom and the telly's downstairs in the lounge, so a cable's out of the question.

Here's the relevant page from the user's manual:
The HDR models can be connected wirelessly to
your home network with our optional Wi-Fi USB
Adapter, all models can be connected directly with
the supplied Ethernet Cables.
Make sure that a USB Wi-Fi dongle is connected
first.

This would seem to indicate a Humax Wi-Fi USB adapter is required plugged into the PVR and a dongle plugged into the PC, is this correct, or is the Humax Wi-Fi USB adapter a dongle?

Does the dongle/adapter communicate with the router, or the PC directly?

The dongle suggested by Zero yesterday:
www.amazon.co.uk/Humax-WLAN-WiFI-150Mbps-Dongle-Black/dp/B006GJKAEU may not be compatible with my model of PVR according to the reviews.

How about Powerline adapters?

>> This would seem to indicate a Humax Wi-Fi USB adapter is required plugged into the
>> PVR and a dongle plugged into the PC, is this correct,

No thats not correct. You are misinterpreting the instructions. the dongle needs to be plugged into your PVR when you power it up.

or is the Humax
>> Wi-Fi USB adapter a dongle?

It is, it plugs into the USB port on the back of your PVR and connects to your existing wireless router over wireless.

>> Does the dongle/adapter communicate with the router, or the PC directly?

The PC has nothing to do with it. All you need is the dongle and the router.

>> The dongle suggested by Zero yesterday:
>> www.amazon.co.uk/Humax-WLAN-WiFI-150Mbps-Dongle-Black/dp/B006GJKAEU may not be compatible with my model of PVR according to the reviews.

Its the one recommended by Humax.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 22 Feb 16 at 12:59
 Connecting telly to internet - tyrednemotional
..It's the relative positions of the router (not the PC) and the Humax box which are relevant. Though I suspect your router is also "remote", an ethernet cable between it and the Humax box is the most capable (and easiest) connection if it is topographically possible.

If not, then if you have a decent wifi signal from the TV position back to the router, then the Zeddo-nominated USB adapter is probably the most appropriate (all the Humax documentation I can see says this is compatible), and this should be the only extra adapter you need.

If the wireless signal is carp, then Powerline might be appropriate (don't like them myself).

In the past, when Humax charged a lot for their then dedicated wireless adapter, I used a wireless client device plugged into the Ethernet port to network a PVR. They can still be had cheaper, but not so much so that they outweigh the convenience of the Humax USB device.

I've resorted, over the years, to running ethernet to the back of the TV and other boxes, it makes things so much simpler.
 Connecting telly to internet - VxFan
>> This would seem to indicate a Humax Wi-Fi USB adapter is required plugged into the
>> PVR

Any wireless connector will do. See my earlier comment about the Sky one that will work on your Humax. But it plugs into the ethernet connector of the box, not the USB. Although with the right lead you can use the USB to power the Sky wireless box instead of using the AC/DC adapter.
Found this: www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00WSIA5U2

Ten quid less than the dedicated Humax one (I'm a poor pensioner). Any reasons I shouldn't go for it?
Apart from the fact you wont get any support for it if it don't work with your Humax none at all.
Latest Forum Posts