Computer Related > sql server 2008 r2 Computing Issues
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 9

sql server 2008 r2 - Mapmaker
We need a new version of a piece software. Apparently our server isn't up to it, so our IT geek says "can't be done."

I suggested running on a standalone PC. IT geek said "can't be done." Software supplier says it can be done and is done by hundreds of clients.

IT now say can't be done as we need "sql server 2008 r2"

This means nothing to me, to the extent that my googling for it is dangerous. How much does this cost?

Thanks.
 sql server 2008 r2 - Crankcase
Somewhere between zero and thousands, depending on who you are, what you already have, who Microsoft think you are, how many people are using it, whether it's available over the internet or just internally and which licencing model you end up on.

There will be no simple fast answer, alas. I know that's not helpful but it's the way it is with MS licencing. You need to establish all that and more before you'll get a real price.

PS mainstream support ended for 2008R2 in 2014 anyway. It's in "extended support" now. Old version.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Wed 24 Feb 16 at 16:41
Ah.

Thank you.

This is for one copy on one (presumably? non-networked) PC. We're not big.

I see the program notes refer to SQL Server 2012
Ah, but you may have to (as in are supposed to) licence it per processor, not per server. And you're supposed have client access licences for each user.

As for 2012, yeah, but I was installing 2014 only this afternoon. Having said that nowt wrong with 2008r2.
Just to try and be a bit more helpful, Mapmaker, I just looked up what we (the University) pay. We get SQL 2012 for nothing, but 2014, the latest, is £2275 for a single core processor version, a three hundred odd per core if you need more, and the client access licences, whether you do it by machine or by user, are £34.95 each. All figures plus VAT.

I think in the real corporate world those are probably good prices, so you might expect more. Don't know if that helps but gives you a flavour of the latest version costs. You might get 2008 for tuppence somewhere I expect if you look about, probably on eBay or something!
 sql server 2008 r2 - No FM2R
Guessing....

Essentially your IT guy is trying to make this a corporate, organisation wide solution and is not thinking properly.

Your software needs a database. Your IT guy has decided this needs to be a network database and so it needs to be licenced for everybody who can access it.

Explain to IT guy it can be on a single, non-networked PC. (Assuming it can be). sql server will not then be required.

He may well tell you that isn't allowed but you'll have to face that if...
P.s. if you want to send me the name of the application i will look at it and tell you for sure.
Thanks Mark, I've emailed you a couple of pdfs.
You have email. Please feel free to keep comments about my typing/grammar to yourself.
 sql server 2008 r2 - nice but dim
I think you can get SQL Server Express, this is the free version and is often bundled with programs that require SQL as the database store.

The capabilities of Express will be limited but it might allow what you need to do?

www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=1695
Latest Forum Posts