Computer Related > Wireless or cable? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Chris S Replies: 8

Wireless or cable? - Chris S
I can connect to my Huawei mobile Wi-Fi either through a wireless connection or a data cable and USB3 port.

Does anybody know if there is any advantage in using one over the other?
 Wireless or cable? - Manatee
I still have one of these, is yours something similar but with the option of connecting by cable?

www.mobile-broadband.org.uk/news/3-uk-mifi-huawei-e585-with-one-press-connect/

I'd say the cable connection would be useful only if you have no wifi on the connected device.

Whilst a cable would give a more solid connection, at short range in the same room wifi should be as good for all practical purposes, and it will also mean that you can position the mifi for the best cellular signal.
 Wireless or cable? - R.P.
I went back to the CAB as a volunteer today and "my" old Huawei was tethered to a lap-top. I never used it like that always lodged as high as possible for maximum signal. It was still broadcasting its WiFi signal despite this. The only reason I'd tether it was to boost the battery. Worked as well free as it did tethered.
Last edited by: R.P. on Thu 24 Mar 16 at 17:13
 Wireless or cable? - Chris S
>> I still have one of these, is yours something similar but with the option of
>> connecting by cable?
>>
>> www.mobile-broadband.org.uk/news/3-uk-mifi-huawei-e585-with-one-press-connect/

yes - something like that.

Does anybody know if there is some way of measuring data transfer speed?
 Wireless or cable? - Zero
SQ 4 TLB
>> Does anybody know if there is some way of measuring data transfer speed?

Any broadband speed testing site will give you comparative data, as its from host site to your device. So that includes the last bit of the physical link to device.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 25 Mar 16 at 01:27
 Wireless or cable? - smokie
Or to just compare performance cable v. WiFi just copy a large file (a 1Gb movie or something) and time it.

This can be distorted by some devices (or operating systems) if they cache so run the test a few times in each direction with each option just to be sure you are seeing consistent results. I don't think the difference will be that great.
 Wireless or cable? - Zero
>> I can connect to my Huawei mobile Wi-Fi either through a wireless connection or a
>> data cable and USB3 port.
>>
>> Does anybody know if there is any advantage in using one over the other?

Hmmm. One has no cable?
 Wireless or cable? - smokie
Would cable be quicker and more reliable for data transfer? (With the bonus if charging the phone at the same time)
 Wireless or cable? - CGNorwich
Insightful analysis as ever. :-)
Latest Forum Posts