Computer Related > Microsoft - PITA (what's new?) Computing Issues
Thread Author: Mike H Replies: 12

Microsoft - PITA (what's new?) - Mike H
My father, who is 83, has just gone to visit his sister who lives in Carcassone. He's taken his tablet with him, and obviously tried to look at his emails on his live.co.uk account when he arrived. So what has Microsoft done - locked his account, because he has signed in from a different location. I know, because just as I was going into the cinema last night, I had an email from Microsoft telling me so (my email address is nominated as his recovery email address), with a link to enable me to recover it. He has no other email accounts, so now I've got the hassle of telephoning France and sorting it all out for him. Security is one thing, but this is just ridiculous! He's also been locked out before for some other petty reason.

I don't know of any other email provider who locks email accounts at the drop of a hat.

Rant over.
 Microsoft - PITA (what's new?) - spamcan61
>>
>> I don't know of any other email provider who locks email accounts at the drop
>> of a hat.
>>
>> Rant over.
>>
Google do :- I managed to lock my account out when signing in from Wadebridge rather than my usual locale. I did moan a bit....

..but then last week Google sent me an email saying somebody had tried to log in to my account (with the correct password) from somewhere in Mexico, which was a tad disturbing; so glad they blocked that.
 Microsoft - PITA (what's new?) - movilogo
Any large email provider will do the same. In fact some of online banking will do exactly same!

When I log in from outside UK, I usually get asked a security question or they want to verify me sending a text to my mobile (receiving text is free so no issue).

Microsoft - PITA (what's new?) - Mike H
>> Google do :- I managed to lock my account out when signing in from Wadebridge
>> rather than my usual locale. I did moan a bit....
>>
>> ..but then last week Google sent me an email saying somebody had tried to log
>> in to my account (with the correct password) from somewhere in Mexico, which was a
>> tad disturbing; so glad they blocked that.
>>
Google have never locked mine, and it's been used throughout Europe. I don't have a problem with being sent a text with a security code (several of the websites I use regularly do that), but I do object to Microsoft locking the account AND not telling him they've done it for whatever reason. My father doesn't have a mobile however, so even sending a confirmation text wouldn't work.

I can see both sides of the argument, but the lack of flexibility in enabling recovery is a bore.

P.S. It's now all sorted!
 Microsoft - PITA (what's new?) - MD
Slightly different subject. I received two text messages yesterday from AppleInc! Telling me surname Apple ID has been suspended. Please confirm your details to prevent permanent termination at itunesatapple.com - Apple Inc.

Thoughts? I know mine.
 Microsoft - PITA (what's new?) - Zero
>> Slightly different subject. I received two text messages yesterday from AppleInc! Telling me surname Apple
>> ID has been suspended. Please confirm your details to prevent permanent termination at itunesatapple.com -
>> Apple Inc.
>>
>> Thoughts? I know mine.

Its a known phishing site.
 Microsoft - PITA (what's new?) - Kevin
itunesatapple.com is registered to someone at GL9 1BD in Gloucestershire (which could be fake) with an admin contact address of mail@innovatorsoftoday.com. innovatorsoftoday.com was registered in Panama a couple of weeks ago and the registrant is hidden.

Not mentioned in the Panama Papers are you MD?
 Microsoft - PITA (what's new?) - MD
Only in the Andrex papers Kev.
 Microsoft - PITA (what's new?) - Zero
>> itunesatapple.com is registered to someone at GL9 1BD in Gloucestershire (which could be fake)

Yes most of Gloucestershire is fake, specially round the cotswolds style villages.
 Microsoft - PITA (what's new?) - Fursty Ferret
You can set up Microsoft accounts to text a code to a nominated phone number for two factor authentication.
 Microsoft - PITA (what's new?) - Roger.
Gmail regularly send me "Someone has your password" when I'm using an "out of UK" VPN.
 Microsoft - PITA (what's new?) - Pat
>> Gmail regularly send me "Someone has your password" when I'm using an "out of UK"
>> VPN.
>>

I never have that problem and frequently access my emails from both Belgium and France, as well as all over the UK.

Pat
 Microsoft - PITA (what's new?) - Roger.
I think it may be that you are logging onto Gmail via the web and your internet browser, Pat.

I, on the other hand, use a local email client (Mozilla Thunderbird) to send and receive mail, but use Gmail's pop & smtp servers (free to use) rather than those of my ISP.
Latest Forum Posts