Computer Related > Windows 10 HTTPS problems Computing Issues
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 10

Windows 10 HTTPS problems - zippy
I have a Windows 7 laptop that was upgraded to Windows 10.

It can get on to the Internet (here is ok) but some HTTPS: sites are not working - I tried some popular ones as well including Facebook and that shows up with the following message on Chrome: NET::ERR_CERT_INVALID and on Edge (Internet Explorer): There’s a problem with this website’s security certificate

The error seems to be at my end - I can't even load Google!

Any help or pointers appreciated!

Thanks!
 Windows 10 HTTPS problems - rtj70
It's a warning and not an error. What about Internet Explorer - you mention Edge but that's not Internet Explorer. It's Microsoft's new browser that's more compatible with web standards than IE ever was.

The warning is because the browsers you've used are warning about the SSL certificates being invalid.
I thought if the SSL certificates were invalid for me then they would be invalid for everyone - the websites that I am having problems with are major ones!?
 Windows 10 HTTPS problems - rtj70
Have you tried clearing browsing data.

But you say it's Chrome and Edge browsers...
Cleared browsing data as suggested but no luck!
 Windows 10 HTTPS problems - smokie
Do you have a proxy set? See this post as it says although he unset it, there was a background process called "Client.exe" which reset it which required getting rid of. Presumably this was some sort of virus.

www.reddit.com/r/google/comments/2kwmly/googlecom_privacy_error_neterr_cert_invalid_any/

Someone else mentions the computer date being set wrong.

It will be one of those IMO.
>> It will be one of those IMO.

I have Avast running and it is not reporting any problems.

I can not get to the Reddit page - it is https! Argh :-)
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 29 Apr 16 at 10:38
There are no processes or programs called "client.exe" on the laptop
 Windows 10 HTTPS problems - smokie
Not all viruses are recognised by all virus scanners but at the moment that's not important.

In Chrome, got to Settings, Show Advanced Settings, and under Network there is a box Change proxy settings. Click that, then click the LAN settings tab.

The two boxes about automatically detect and script should usually be checked and the Use a proxy server should be clear.

I believe that's a global setting so will apply to all browsers.

If it isn't clear, then clear the tick and try your connections again.

This fix should stick. If it doesn't, that's when you may have a background process wrongly resetting it, which we'd need to look at.

However if that is already blank, and your machine date is correct, we'll have to look again.
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 29 Apr 16 at 12:11
Thanks for all of your replies.

I am out today and back tomorrow so will try it then.

I wonder if the PC time is the issue. The time is correct but date was set as 02/26/16 which was really annoying me so I changed it to 26/02/16 (from MM/DD/YY to DD/MM/YY).

I will change it back when I get back and see if this makes a difference.
Changed the date format and everything works OK again!

Madness!

Thanks for all of your help!
Latest Forum Posts