Computer Related > Tethering between iphones Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 12

Tethering between iphones - Bobby
Me and the missus going to Spain for a week, both on EE.

We can take out a Euro plan for £4 a day to have 500mb of data. Not planning to use the phone full on browsing, more likely just quick updates on Social Media, email etc.

If one of us takes this plan out can we set the phones up to tether to each other and work off the one if that makes sense? And thus only have one cost?
 Tethering between iphones - Old Navy
I don't know if this will help or not but Mrs ON and myself have our phones on the same sim only account. They are both paid monthly by one direct debit.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 13 May 16 at 09:39
 Tethering between iphones - CGNorwich
Yes, if the plan for one of your phones allows you to use it as a personal hot-spot.

everydaylife.globalpost.com/tether-iphone-iphone-21674.html
 Tethering between iphones - VxFan
>> can we set the phones up to tether to each other

Yes. Just tried tethering from my iPhoneSE to my old iPhone4.
 Tethering between iphones - rtj70
Try to swap to a better tariff that includes data, calls and texts overseas. With the cut in roaming charges, there's probably new tariffs available. I switched this week to a cheaper tariff that has unlimited calls/texts and 500MB data per month in Europe. I'm with Vodafone and using your UK allowance overseas used to cost £3/day.

If you can't get a better tariff, then what you suggest should work provided there's nothing stopping you turning on tethering.

EDIT: SIM only deals on EE seem to charge £2/day for roaming.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 13 May 16 at 13:21
As an aside, why is phones chat been moved to Computing?
 Tethering between iphones - Bromptonaut
>> As an aside, why is phones chat been moved to Computing?

'Cos this sub forum's about Fun or trouble with your computer / tablet / smartphone?

????????????????????
Had to search around the place to see the reference to that!
Had never been there before!
 Tethering between iphones - WillDeBeest
Because what we call a 'phone' these days is a pocket computer that happens - almost incidentally - to make phone calls.
 Tethering between iphones - Roger.
We are, for the present, with BT for fibre BB and phones.
I've just come across a handy App (BT Smart Talk) for a mobile phone, where your mobile can be linked to your BT landline calling plan, enabling you to make calls over both Wi-Fi, including hotspots, and your mobile carrier's data service, at the same rate that you have on your BT land-line plan.
We have unlimited "anytime" calls for our land-line, so potentially I can make calls on my mobile at no cost at a hotspot or, in my case, using GiffGaff's data allowance where these is no wi-fi available.
That must, surely, be better than the 15p per minute calling rate on my PAYG with GiffGaff!
 Smarttalk - sherlock47
But be aware of this issue.

community.bt.com/t5/Broadband-Extras-from-BT/Smart-talk-high-background-data-usage/td-p/1458376

may cost you more overall if it eats up your mobile data allowance.
 Smarttalk - smokie
According to page 2 of that link the problem was fixed, way back in March 2015. But it is good to be aware of things which have potential to gobble up your data allowance.
 Smarttalk - sherlock47
Smkie
Thanks for correcting that, I was a bit sloppy as I was on the point of going out, and did not read the thread to the end. What is the data usage (rate) of a typical voice on VOIP ? I suppose it it is smart and depends on how many pregnant pauses there are :)
Latest Forum Posts