Computer Related > Amazon ransomware phishing email Computing Issues
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 2

Amazon ransomware phishing email - Focusless
Our IT dept have issued warning about an Amazon phishing email doing the rounds, along the lines of "Your Amazon.com order has dispatched (#671-6180001-1652302)". They warn that the attachment contains a trojan "ransomware" that encrypts your data and the only alternative to paying the ransom is to rebuild your machine. I'm assuming they're speaking from experience :)

I would guess most members are pretty savvy about this sort of thing, but might be worth warning anyone you know who isn't. I haven't seen IT issue one of these before so I think it's a bigger threat than usual.
Last edited by: Focusless on Wed 18 May 16 at 12:59
 Amazon ransomware phishing email - smokie
Ta, told the family. Once in a while when they remember to bring them home with them I image the kids laptops, and I image all the machines around the house regularly (mine gets done weekly!). I use Macrium Reflect. This only takes about 30 minutes to do my C drive (which has no data) and even quicker to restore. You can also mount an image as though it were another disk.

I also sync my entire data weekly to my NAS, then backup the critical bits to another disk in my machine. That takes maybe 30 minutes but I don't have to sit and watch it.

Once a month the whole NAS gets backed up. I guess that might take an hour, again, unattended once I've kicked it off.

About every 6 months or so I do another backup of my "really important" stuff (pretty much just photos, but I am starting to scan docs from utility companies etc and save them electronically rather than in filing cabinets) onto a disk which is kept "off site" (at daughter's). This is my fall back in case my machine gets stolen or the house burns down..

I'm not the only one with sufficient time on my hands am I? :-)

I hope it means that I can lessen the impact of any of these nasties.
 Amazon ransomware phishing email - rtj70
I backup similar to Smokie. The important stuff that cannot be replaced (photos, documents, etc.) is backed up to the Cloud. I currently use an app called Arq to backup to Google. I did use Amazon Glacier but Google is now as cheap and less of an issue to restore.

I also backup my music but it's also sync'd with Google Play using Music Manager. So they just match most of it I guess.
Latest Forum Posts