Computer Related > Win-10 will not install on a Medion laptop Computing Issues
Thread Author: busbee Replies: 31

Win-10 will not install on a Medion laptop - busbee
I have a Medion 15" laptop about 4-5 years old, that locks-up part way through installing Win-10. The ring of dots rotation, on the blue screen, locks up showing just one dot.

After using reset, it tries to recover, but does not. I did it a second time and then, still failing, it reinstalled Win-7.

I repeated the whole process again, with same result. (Fresh download) It declares unknown fault.

Win-7 is running fine.

Anyone had a similar problem and related it to an installed program?

I have Hitman Pro installed, but no other anti-virus other than MS.
Screen has an icon for a guest user, that I set up, but never use.
No password is used.
 Win-10 will not install on a Medion laptop - Falkirk Bairn
I have an Acer laptop, 3+ yrs old, i5, 8/ 500 & Windows 7.

Download Win 10 &......would not install.

Tried Acer website - my machine has not been marked with an upgrade path to Win 10.

Tried online chat with Microsoft Helpdesk.......their words, not supported / tough.

Looks like an Apple next time around - my first PC was 1984 Dos 1.1! 32 yrs of Dos & Windows.

Back in 1984 a 64K memory & 10Mb Hdd & floppy drive PC was some £5,000 - an 80 column IBM dot matrix printer was £429+VAT! (Re-badged Epson)

You could buy a new PC today + printer for the same cost as the 1984 printer.
 Win-10 will not install on a Medion laptop - smokie
Yes I had something similar. I gave up trying to upgrade and downloaded the full installation package from Microsoft which worked a treat. That might have also been on a old Medion.

If you want it but can't find it just shout and I'll find the link again.
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 30 May 16 at 16:45
 Win-10 will not install on a Medion laptop - Manatee
>> Yes I had something similar. I have up trying to upgrade and downloaded the full
>> installation package from Microsoft

I did that on a reluctant Lenovo after seeing your tip last time.
 Win-10 will not install on a Medion laptop - Robin O'Reliant
>> >>
>> I have Hitman Pro installed,
>>

That made a total mess of my laptop a few years ago.
 Win-10 will not install on a Medion laptop - rtj70
So that I could try it and upgrade Windows 7 in future I backed up my Windows 7 PC and tried an upgrade. It got stuck in an endless loop during the install - kept rebooting. My mistake was probably getting the very latest version of Windows 10.

Instead I did a clean install of Windows 7 on a different drive and then upgraded it to Windows 10. That worked. I restored Windows 7 back to the original drive. So I now have Windows 7 and Windows 10.

I'd always intended a clean install of Windows 10 if I did move to it but you need to do an upgrade before the licence servers at Microsoft recognise the PC.
I kept a fallback image of Win 7 "just in case" but never touched it and deleted it just a week ago.
 Win-10 will not install on a Medion laptop - devonite
Try downloading win 10 onto a cd or stick, then reformat h/drive (after making a b/up) and then try installing onto a clean drive. never tried it, but what have you to lose. My Dell optiplex is about 10yrs old and win 10 went on that ok!
>> Try downloading win 10 onto a cd or stick, then reformat h/drive (after making a b/up) and
>> then try installing onto a clean drive. never tried it, but what have you to lose.

You need to upgrade to get the free licence to Windows 10. What you suggest will get a time limited demo at best before you need to have a licence.

If you do an upgrade, then afterwards you can do a clean install. So if you have a clean drive on the same machine then install the old OS and then upgrade. This then flags the licence being associated with the machine.*

You have until the end of July 2016 to get an upgrade for free.

* a signature for a machine is used based on hardware so you need to upgrade the machine. Small differences like RAM, disks etc. will be okay. But start swapping CPU, chipset etc. and it will probably get upset.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 31 May 16 at 00:19
I have looked at the Medion SATA ll hard disk in my Laptop. This is what I found:

It has four primary partitions: -- For your info, you can make any one primary active --- a boot one.
1 "Local Disk" 100 MB ------ yes Megabytes not GB. ---- Active -- others ones are not.
2 "Boot" about 430GB ( 55.4GB used ) - did know exactly but lost the figure.
3 "Recover" 30GB 18.7 used.
4 No name 1 GB with 193.4 used. --- hidden.

The" Local Disk" is active and boots -- yes that 100MB one.

The"Boot" disk is not active and is not a boot disk in the normal sense.
3 & 4 are of no consequence while trying to get Win-10.

So, if MS treats 1 as a sort of C: drive it is not going to be able to write much to it, certainly not Windows-Old. It looks like the Medion boots then goes to partition 2. Perhaps not too surprising MS install got its knickers in a twist. Perhaps 1 is something they alter for each new version Medion anbd use same Boot.

I have bought a 1 TB SATA ll disk. Not too optimistic, but will make partition 1 much bigger, leave Boot about the same and put a large size C: on it and download again.

If that fails (watch you don't blow a gasket laughing) I have a Win-7 Home Premium disk and will install that and get a win-10 key, as suggested above.

You should be able to find the error code for the failure somewhere which would help in working out why it failed. I think you'd see it in Update History in Control Panel. I doubt it's anything to do with your disk config.
>> The" Local Disk" is active and boots -- yes that 100MB one.

That's where Windows 7 has installed it's boot loader etc. It then loads the copy of Windows on the boot partition.

When we got to Windows 7, it changed how booting up a copy of Windows worked. In theory the boot loader could boot other partitions too if you configured it right. Windows 7 stopped using the boot.ini file used by previous versions.*

* Vista might have too but I didn't get Vista on any machines of mine.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 2 Jun 16 at 20:14
The error code was C1900101-30017 and well known on the web.
There is a routine published for the Dell PC. None I can see for a Medion.

Seems quite a lot of messing about to get round it.

I did get MS come up offering help but my skype lapsed about 2 years ago due to lack of use.

Just re-activated it, but got to re-learn how to get back to using it.
Lost it when using Win-7 on the desktop -- now is win-10
Fatigue setting in.

Bit tempted to leave it.
I found some reports for Medion and they mainly seem to talk about driver conflicts (and many are in German).

Fist thing thing looks to be to go into the BIOS and disable USB Legacy, also detaching any unnecessary USB devices during the upgrade.
 Win-10 will not install on a Medion laptop - Mike H
I have just upgraded my Asus, also 4-5 years old, to Windows 10. All seemed well at first, but there are two irritating problems that I've discovered (there may be more). Due to the age of the laptop, there are no W10 drivers for the inbuilt webcam, resulting in the picture being upside down (only found out when we made our first Skype call with W10), and the two fingers dragging on the touchpad scroll in the reverse direction from W7. The first would gave been a W10 showstopper for me, but I have a small clip on webcam that we've had for a few years, and it turns out that it works OK (Microsoft branded, so I guess it had to be ok).

The point is, even if you "successfully" upgrade it to W10, you might get similar driver glitches rendering it difficult to use.
 Win-10 will not install on my Medion laptop - busbee
I did a 'clean boot' twice then tried again for win10.

The second one installed, but then went off to upgrade it without letting me see it running. All looked to be going great until it froze -- again. Then it put win7 back when it would not boot for me.

Previously it had asked to inspect my hard disk a couple of times. So I used my other cloned disk with win7 on it.
had
So, off I go again. Each previous time it said my PC was compatible with win10. Finally, with the new disk, it said it can't install win10 as the computer it is not compatible ! ! Click here for the reason.

I clicked and it said the processor is not supported daaahhh. Now after umpteen hours trying.

One thing it had said a few times during my tries was, the processor does not support NX.

That is a security feature, first used in PCs by AMD, whereby a bit can be set preventing malware from running in memory. Whether that is all, I don't know.
 Win-10 will not install on my Medion laptop - rtj70
NX is a way of marking memory so programs cannot run in it. You'd expect the MMU to help with that already and tag memory as program or data.

Unless your laptop/PC is really old it may support the NX-bit but have it turned off in the BIOS.
"Unless your laptop/PC is really old it may support the NX-bit but have it turned off in the BIOS"

Bought Jan 20011. Best and fastest of 5 or 6 tested by a magazine. It has an i5 processor. So a bit surprised that MS now says it is not compatible.

After about 6 failed Win10 install tries, may be it wants out. I sent MS a message in reply to "did you find this helpful" just prior to the not-compatible remark, saying no. And included my PC details. Though not that it had an i5.

I went into bios to see if I could find your ' NX bit set' info, but it is very limited in what it offers. Reset defaults. Choose boot order and that is about it.
The Core i5 supports NX. It might not be called that in the BIOS. Intel call it Execute Disable (XD). It was AMD that coined NX - No Execute.

For Windows 10 you need NX/XD, PAE and SSE2 support. Think your processor should be fine. There's a sys internals tool called CoreInfo that tells you what the CPU supports:

technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/cc835722
"For Windows 10 you need NX/XD, PAE and SSE2 support. "

CPU is an i5 Arandale and the instruction set is

MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, ET64, XD, VMX, EST --- [via SIW]

No PAE -- what is that?

It now flags 'not compatible' as soon as I try for Win10 again.

Thanks for the help.
PAE is Physical Address Extension. It was used on 32-bit Intel x86 CPUs to provide access to more than 4GB RAM. Remember a 32-bit address bus can only access 232, i.e. 4GB.

Are you trying to install over 32-bit or 64-bit Windows?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 12 Jun 16 at 17:45
The laptop is 32-bit, almost certainly.

I will drag and drop coreinfo.exe after clicking Start. See if that says the same as SIW. I Tried earlier by typing it in, (!) not realising I needed to download it first.
I opened a DOS window and ran it, /F and it said

PBE *supports use of FERR#/PBE# pin

Win-10 will not install on my Medion laptop - smokie
I think you are over-thinking this, you had an error code before which should help.

Have you been to this Medion page www.medion.com/gb/service/windows/ which tells you whether there are any special instructions available for your system for Windows 10?

That page also has a step "Click on the Get Windows 10 App" but I can't see the link. It could be they have repackaged Windows 10 for their devices (maybe to include their drivers), you'd need to contact their support to ask.

Did you check to ensure USB Legacy was disabled in the BIOS, and detach any external USB devices, as per my earlier post?

As I said before, there are some reports of a issues upgrading Medions. Please add your model number and I'll see what I can find, but here is a (Google translated) solution for one Medion laptop user with your error code, it seems quite clear that drivers are causing the problem.

translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=https://community.medion.com/t5/Notebook-Netbook/AKOYA-P6630-Windows-10-BSOD-0xC1900101-0x30017/td-p/10791&prev=search

1: windows 7 clean it all updates
2: windows6.1-kb3035583-x64 installed and listed win10fix_full
3: MediaCreationToolx64 / upgrade finished download up everything install // alt + shift Wifi adapder driver Uninstall in system
4: computer boots first crash ...
5: F2 into BIOS (important)
6: MAIN BOOT :::::: on LAN = disabled
7: Advanced :::::::::: WiFi and Camera disabled
Legacy USB SUPPORT disabled
OnBoard Lan disabled
Save and exit
Windows starts normally
Restart PC back into bios and Wireless Device Last State
[12] Launch Manager driver installed from the Medion Support Page
Then restart PC / laptop and start with WLAN Fn + F7 WLAN !!! and windows system windows Activieren !!!!
Smokie,
it is a AKOYA 30011878. I fed that into Medion site and it said, not tested.
It was purchased 29th Jan 2011.

"Did you check to ensure USB Legacy was disabled in the BIOS"
When I disable it, it freezes at "Starting Windows".
I wonder if a clean install would simply work - I know you won't have a free licence for that because you need to do an upgrade.

If this was me I'd try a clean install of Windows using a spare disk and if that works you've learnt the laptop supports it. As smokie says you may need to turn off options in the BIOS which won't boot Windows 7.
>> The laptop is 32-bit, almost certainly.

The processor being an Intel Core i5 is 64-bit. So I wonder if your problem is running 32-bit Windows and trying to upgrade to Windows 10.
 Win-10 will not install on my Medion laptop - Stuartli
Problems such as this make me wonder if your laptop was produced at a time when there were ownership and perhaps product changes for Medion?

An Austrian laptop and OEM manufacturer, Gericom, produced some of the Medion products in the previous decade (these were sold by Aldi and were often problematic), but the arrangement ended around 2007. However, about five years ago, Medion was acquired by Lenovo.

It's just an assumption on my part that such changes may have played a part and I might be way off the mark...:-)
I tried again.

I stopped HitmanPro loading, just in case, as a clean boot via use of config.sys did not stop it.
I was intending to pull the Modem lead as soon as it said Win10 was installed OK, to see what it looked like. But it had already got all the updates and carried on to use them.

Everything looked fine, earlier it said it had installed 100%. But after about 5 minutes of updates it froze with the circle of dots reduced to one. I tried a reboot by turning it off and on again and it went into recover and ran the moving dots again and then froze the same.

It has flagged: Win10 could not be installed Error/s found C19900101-30017

Time to retire,me-thinks.
Last edited by: busbee on Wed 15 Jun 16 at 13:24
Go toL C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and check for a file called Reporting Events.

Does it list things it failed to upgrade - look towards the end of the file? You might have a hint in there of what won't upgrade to Win10 because there's no driver.
I has lots of these:
[AGENT_DOWNLOAD_SUCCEEDED]
[AGENT_INSTALLING_STARTED]
[AGENT_INSTALLING_SUCCEEDED]

One for each time I tried to get Win10 installed.

It is when updating and and configuring afterwards, when it locks up, every time.

A person ona website elsewhere (lost the link just now) said watch the install and when it goes to do a software boot, do a proper restart and it will eventually get past it [the lock-up] and be OK and three persons replied that it had worked for them. I just tried it but, perhaps I was too soon. I did it for the first one, and it cancelled the install. Also there is no hard reset on the Medion, you press down the ON switch until it switches off correctly.
Latest Forum Posts