Computer Related > Windows 10 Upgrade - Short time left. Worth it? Computing Issues
Thread Author: Dulwich Estate II Replies: 70

Windows 10 Upgrade - Short time left. Worth it? - Dulwich Estate II
My old PC runs Win 7.

It's got:

Intel i3- 2100, 3.10GHz, 4GB Ram, 64 bit.

I mainly use an iPad but for most form filling and shopping I prefer the PC. I use it for this forum, documents, scanning, simple spreadsheets and storing and manipulating thousands of photos.

That's about it - no games, no fancy features, no touch screen (it's a CRT).

I didn't really want to change from XP, but this computer came with the then new Win 7 and I'm happy enough with it.

Do I need to change ? I somehow don't think so, but those who know better will surely advise.

Edit: I've just noticed a thread dedicated to the upgrade with plenty of techy advice. Perhaps this should stand alone to advise the simpletons which way to go: Remain Win 7 or Leave for Win 10.
Last edited by: Dulwich Estate II on Thu 30 Jun 16 at 16:59
 Windows 10 Upgrade - Short time left. Worth it? - No FM2R
You may not want to change, or even feel that you need to, but at some point you'll end up doing it, even if only when you get a new machine next time.

If you've a fairly modern, mainstream machine I don't think there's any reason not to really. Its not different enough to matter (usage wise) but it is supposedly better under the surface.

The only push to move quickly will be if the upgrade will stop being free at some point.
 Windows 10 Upgrade - Short time left. Worth it? - rtj70
The upgrade stops being free in a month - end of July. The only way to get Windows 10 for free is to first do an upgrade - which has a risk it won't work. A clean install is always best.

If this was me and I had a spare hard drive I could use:

1. Backup the PC with a backup solution that can do a full image restore - or maybe you have restore DVD for the PC
2. Remove/disconnect the Windows 7 drive
3. Install/connect the spare drive
4. Restore the Windows 7 machine from backup/recovery disk
5. Upgrade to Windows 10 - have a play
6. Put the Windows 7 disk back in

Now on Microsoft licence servers your PC is flagged as having a valid Windows 10 licence. You can install Windows 10 on this PC in the future as a clean install. Swapping a hard disk will not trigger the 'this is a different PC' check.
 Windows 10 Upgrade - Short time left. Worth it? - Robin O'Reliant
What happens if you have to do a full re-install of the OS? Am I right in thinking you can still get the W10 upgrade without having to pay?
 Windows 10 Upgrade - Short time left. Worth it? - RattleandSmoke
At the moment the current Windows 10 install accept Windows 7 keys. I am not sure how long that will last. My current advise is this:-

"If you're windows 7 machine is working perfectly then don't upgrade, if your windows 7 machine is running badly make sure you get to the bottom of the cause before you upgrade. If you have a Windows 7 machine and want to do a clean install anyway then you may as well try Windows 10.

The saying "if it is not broken don't fix it" applies here. Personally I run Windows 10 on all my machines but I did a clean install on them all replacing hard drivess with SSDs int he process.
 Windows 10 Upgrade - Short time left. Worth it? - sajid
i upgraded to win 10 pro i have win 7 pro, my impressions are

it got to many apps that you not going to use,
windows media not supported
privacy concern
reliability
forced win updates
slower start up

modern ui has flat graphics so it bland

i had elite dangerous and win 10 crashed it when playing had no issue with win 7 with the game

decided to roll back to win 7

The only bit that good is the dx12 for gamers
 Windows 10 Upgrade - Short time left. Worth it? - tyrednemotional
>> What happens if you have to do a full re-install of the OS? Am I
>> right in thinking you can still get the W10 upgrade without having to pay?
>>

I've upgraded two machines from Win7, both ending up with a clean install, and one machine from Win8.1, which was left as an upgrade without a clean install.

(I also have two further Win7 m/cs, one of which will be left asis (and has had all the automated Win10 provisioning turned off) as it runs Windows Media Centre which is not available in Win10; the other is my day-to-day m/c, which I'm still mulling over (though I've now got resolutions to most of the things that would stop working).

I'm not sure whether I'm interpreting the question correctly, but the following may help.

The only way to get the initial free licence key for Win10 is to carry out an upgrade not a clean install.

This process results in the grant of a digital licence key, which should then allow for any number of further clean re-installs, repairs, etc. on the validly upgraded machine without the need to enter a licence key.

I used downloaded USB media for the upgrade/install process, rather than relying on the Windows Update/Online download method. The USB media allows upgrade or clean install depending on your selected option.

On the two machines that were eventually clean-installed, both were first updated in-situ to Win10 (to gain the licence key) and then immediately clean-installed from the same media. This process didn't need a licence key at either stage, and I would expect to be able to clean install again in the future without a key.

If doing an upgrade or clean install from USB media, it is worthwhile making sure you have the latest software by downloading from:

www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/home

Windows 10 Upgrade - Short time left. Worth it? - Focal Point
"The only way to get the initial free licence key for Win10 is to carry out an upgrade not a clean install."

There seems to be stuff online suggesting that you can go straight to a clean install if you know your licence key. You download something or other to a thumb drive, or CD, or something. Is this untrue, or an unwise option, or what? (Actually, I don't have a licence key.)

I'm on Windows 8.1, which I have had absolutely no problem with. My dilemma at the moment is that I'm in the middle of an important project and if there's a problem after updating I cannot afford the time out to sort it. If there is a way to get the W10 update but not install it for the time being I would go for that.
...there may be some hacks, but I'm not aware of them.

The recommended route to a (free) clean install of Win10 is to upgrade first, then clean install.

As above, I used the Microsoft "Media Creation" route (not the Windows Update driven software), downloading and creating USB update media.

This gives the ability to upgrade from the USB stick, subsequently clean install from the same USB stick automatically referencing the digital key generated by the preceding upgrade, and also re-install at a later date if required (again automatically referencing the same digital key).

As Win10 is upgraded, the downloadable "Media Creation tool" should also be periodically maintained, a new download thus giving access to a reasonably up-to-date clean install.
Thanks for this.

One more point: if I download the Media Creation tool now to a USB drive, can I then use it for a free W10 upgrade after the end of July?
....I believe not. The free licence is issued/created at the time of upgrade. The current understanding is that Microsoft will turn off that 'free' issue at the end of July deadline.

(of course, they might reconsider that deadline).
Again, thanks for the info. I understand the rationale. Looks as if I shall have to bite the bullet and hope for the best, unless there's a last-minute reprieve over the deadline.
 Windows 10 Upgrade - Short time left. Worth it? - smokie
When you install it creates a roll back windows.old folder.

And/or before you install you could image your entire disk so you have the power to oput your machine back to it's un-upgraded state if you want.

Must admit I am responsible for about a dozen windows machines of varying ages (but none newer than about 2 years old) and I've now upgraded them all to Windows 10, and we seem to have less problems than under Windows 7. I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade.
Thank you, Smokie.

I feel that W10 is inevitable anyway and I'm not against it per se. My worry is that I'm depending on the music notation program Sibelius to finish a project by mid-August and some people seem to have had a range of problems after upgrading. I realise some of these are to do with sound drivers and have updated mine.

It also seems that Windows Updates will not reliably update non-Microsoft products and I realise it is essential to ensure everything is fully up-to-date before upgrading.
Last edited by: Focal Point on Fri 1 Jul 16 at 13:33
>>My worry is that I'm depending on.............

If that was me, with a pending project, I would protect myself or do nothing.

You really cannot risk not being able to continue. Upgrading, rolling back, etc. etc. *should* all work. But for a project you need 100% certainty.

I absolutely recommend either an image backup, or a spare hard disk. If I was going to upgrade in these circumstances, I would go with RTJ's suggested steps above.

Of course, there is no certainty that the upgrade will become a paid upgrade. I think it will not. I think Microsoft will wait until the last minute and extend it. It is not in their interests, not even a little bit, to discourage people from upgrading.

So I would probably do nothing, expect it not to matter, but also believe that even if I was wrong and it didn't stay as a free upgrade, then I was only risking a maximum of £90 anyway. (current licence cost).
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 1 Jul 16 at 13:55
risking a maximum of £90 anyway. (current licence cost).
>>

....not much over £70 if you can live with Win10 home rather than Pro.
Good point.
>> When you install it creates a roll back windows.old folder.

It does but in my case it ended up in an endless loop and never finished the install. You couldn't roll it back

>> And/or before you install you could image your entire disk

And that's what I did anyway so restored from the backup.
>> When you install it creates a roll back windows.old folder.
>>
..it does, but AIUI, if you want to use it (via the Windows 10 option to roll back) you only have a month to do so.

(and, as has been detailed, there have been issues with it not working).
As a person who is only computer-savvy only up to a point I do appreciate the above comments very much.

In particular, Mark's point seems important. I'm working flat-out on the project now and if I can finish by July 29 all well and good, but I think it unlikely.

I'm reading that Microsoft may extend the free upgrade offer, so that may help me if I can postpone it until the end of August. Otherwise, I may just have to regard the cost of upgrading as part of the project.

Thanks again to all.
Just to update anyone who's interested: I finished the project on Friday, took the work to London yesterday, where it was well received, and today upgraded the PC from Windows 8.1 to 10 for free (yes, it still is if you know where to look).

Absolutely no problems whatsoever and it was pretty quick. Mind you, I had already updated various sound-related drivers, as I knew these would otherwise cause problems. And things seem to be happening just a little bit quicker now.

I can't stand all the carp like Cortana and X-Box which have now appeared, but fortunately it can be either made to disappear or simply be ignored.
Thanks, I was wondering, I'm glad it worked out.

>>if you know where to look

Out of pure curiosity, does this mean its not obviously available from the MS website? Have they now got another official policy or are they just saying nothing? [clearly I can Google, I just thought you might already know].

www.microsoft.com/en-gb/accessibility/windows10upgrade
 Windows 10 Upgrade - Short time left. Worth it? - Slidingpillar
I can't stand all the carp like Cortana

Ditto, and in the original incarnation of Windows 10, you could turn Cortana off. But in the anniversary edition MS has removed the choice - it's there all the time, like it or not. I'm seriously considering attacking the registry now, but I really would prefer to leave the installation as standard.
 Windows 10 Upgrade - Short time left. Worth it? - Dulwich Estate II
"You may not want to change, or even feel that you need to, but at some point you'll end up doing it, even if only when you get a new machine next time."

This is a good description of my case. I went from XP to Win 7 with a new PC.

The troubles you guys report are too much of a risk for no perceptable improvement.
there will be no ongoing support for Win7 at some point. That is, no security patches. That's a good enough reason for me.
...you have until January 2020 before that happens - I think even my m/c might well be time expired by then.

(I build myself, and can squeeze a long lifecycle out of them, but this one has already done 7 years!)
 Windows 10 Upgrade - Short time left. Worth it? - VxFan
>> ...you have until January 2020 before that happens - I think even my m/c might
>> well be time expired by then.

And yet my 13 year old Desktop PC (an Advent 3418) running Win XP machine still soldiers on. Granted it's slow now, but it still works. Yes the one that I thought had a failing hard drive, but turned out to be a couple of expired capacitors in the PSU which were replaced for a couple of quid.

We've even got a couple of old Win 98 PC at work that are used to operate equipment with. I think there is even an older Win 95 PC kicking about too.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 1 Jul 16 at 01:30
...I've a 13 year old Shuttle Barebones m/c which was built with XP as a media PC for one of the kids. It has recently been converted to a Linux m/c, and the hardware is still up to it.

The issue with upgrading Windows, of course, is not generally the hardware, but the availability of drivers for the newer versions, and that machine might just (with a bit of work and searching) have made it to Win7, but not to Win10, for that reason.

Fine if you have a machine with a stable requirement and no reason to add or upgrade anything to/on it, otherwise, a bit of a pain.
I agree. I just didn't want to reinstall all the apps (yet) on the PC because I turn it on a couple of times a year.

Used to use it for more VM type stuff for work (Core i7, 16GB RAM) but my work laptop is Core i7 with 32GB RAM so runs even more VMs.

I will move to Windows 10 when I find the time. It's 'okay' I suppose.
 Windows 10 Upgrade - Short time left. Worth it? - RattleandSmoke
When you install you are given the option to change the settings, despite having installed probably 100 times or so I can't remember exactly what the screen is titled, but there is an option to use express settings or custom settings. The custom settings is a lot smaller but in there you can turn of all the stuff that may be of a privacy concern.
 Windows 10 Upgrade - Short time left. Worth it? - Manatee
Topical question. A pal of mine who wants a desktop for email, Office etc asked me what he should buy. I have pointed him to a Lenovo core i3-4170 with 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD for £265 - £280 (there are two case choices). It's one of the 'business' versions. Part of the reason for suggesting it is that it comes pre-installed with Win 7 so he will have the option.

I've two laptops that started on Windows 7 and are now on Windows 10. I have had more hiccups with both on 10 than I ever did on 7. They don't always sleep properly when unattended and when that happens I end up having to remove the battery and AC power, even after a forced power down, to get them going again.

I should really offer him some advice on this I suppose, but although I am the one eyed man in the land of the blind compared with my pal, I am clueless compared to the cognoscenti here.

I infer, possibly wrongly, that as they claim in the specs to come with restore media I would be able to put either back to original delivery spec at any time if I upgraded it.

What do you think?
 Windows 10 Upgrade - Short time left. Worth it? - sajid
better to keep on with windows 7 if he upgraded to 10 then he can keep it installing any time free of charge as microsoft have activated the licence for 10 but if he continues to use 10 for less than a month and doesnt like it then you can roll back to 7.

Personally i changed to 10 24 hours later back to 7, i think 7 more stable and glitch free but it be intresting to see what windows anniversary update will do to 10 reliablility
Not given it a second thought here as all machines have been OK. I've had one or two issues with Windows updates not working but a bit of research fixed them, that's not unusual with Windows products. In the early days on the first machine I thought I might not like 10 but once I realised I could make it look more like 7 than 8, and I know where stuff is, I am fine with it.
I think my problem stemmed from a dodgy version of Windows 10 that Microsoft released that ended up with machines in an endless reboot sequence. I should have used the version I had already downloaded but let it download the very latest.

Thankfully I had a backup. And the data is on a 2TB hard drive anyway.
 Windows 10 Upgrade - Short time left. Worth it? - Slidingpillar
The laptop was bought as Win 8 machine, but Win 8.1 had just been released, so I upgraded a new machine. Win 10 I waited a couple of months and ignored Sony saying don't and did.

I did have a driver issue that the advice from MS was about as useful as a chocolate fireguard, but I found the answer on the web. And to be honest, you usually do find you're not the first person with the problem and somebody else has documented the solution.

>> The laptop was bought as Win 8 machine, but Win 8.1 had just been released,

My desktop PC was bought with Win 8 on it. Updated it straight away to Win 8.1 as if had just come out a few days before I bought the new desktop PC. When Win 10 was launched and I finally had the notification that it was available I installed it. No issues, no drama. Only one thing was a bit problematic and that was my InfoRad speed camera detector. I kept having to reinstall an older driver for it to work. No longer use it now that you have to pay for mobile camera location notifications.

Apart from that one slight issue, it's been fine. Even an old version of Paint Shop Pro (version 5) I got free with a PC magazine years ago works fine on it, despite some people having problems using it on Win 10.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 2 Jul 16 at 17:11
I think that everybody will need to go to W10 at some point. Well, not everybody but you know what I mean.

So you might as well buy a computer with it already loaded that you *know* everything and every device will work with and avoid the hassle.

Its not like dodging W8 which I intensely disliked. W10 is ok, works fine, and causes me no grief.
 Windows 10 Upgrade - Short time left. Worth it? - John Boy
Someone pointed me at this today:

tinyurl.com/zwzsls2

I like the idea of Microsoft having to pay someone $10,000, so I read it with great enjoyment. Apologies if someone has already linked to the case. I did a quick Search, which suggested noone has.
 Windows 10 Upgrade - Short time left. Worth it? - Roger.
Off topic, somewhat, The Microsoft Media Creation Tool is still available to force your Windows 10 to upgrade to the latest build, released last November. (Build 1154 IIRC)

www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Sometimes, it seems, that the normal Windows update system will not automatically download the update.
I've just done this on my granddaughter's laptop, which stubbornly refused to update its existing W10 installation and it worked OK.
The download is big and at her, out-in-the-sticks, parent's location where we are at present, took 11 hours!

Windows 10 Upgrade - Short time left. Worth it? - Stuartli
Latest Build is 1511. See:

support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history

After the initial problems, mainly towards the end of last year, Windows 10 has now settled down and is reliable (at least in my case).

However it seems Microsoft has more up its sleeve yet.....:-(
Note: (OS Build 10586.420)
Last edited by: Stuartli on Fri 8 Jul 16 at 08:39
I got .494 today.
 Windows 10 Upgrade - Short time left. Worth it? - sherlock47
Despite the MS promises that 'free upgrades' would cease iit appears that if you have a valid W7 W8 product key that you can still upgrade.

www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-free-upgrade-is-still-available-using-windows-7-and-8-product-keys/

If you use ( nochecks!) assistive technologies upgrades are still available. www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

That may be as simple as using screen magnifier.
www.microsoft.com/enable/products/windows10/default.aspx

Windows 10 Upgrade - Short time left. Worth it? - Dog
>>Despite the MS promises that 'free upgrades' would cease iit appears that if you have a valid W7 W8 product key that you can still upgrade.

Why, I mean, why would one want to?

I'm quite H.A.P.P.Y with windows 7 - what would windows 10 do for me, which windows 7 can not??

Same with superfast broadband - had fibre optic cables run up my little lane, which is in the middle of no where, man - a little lane which sees more heifers being herded, than peops walking about, like.
So I can get FTTP (almost) if I wanted tit, but what would that do for me, which 5.5 Mbps ADSL+ can not???
>> Why, I mean, why would one want to?

At some point you'll have to, so you might as well do it now while it's free. Pretty sure someone also mentioned their laptop worked faster after upgrading it from 7 to 10 because 10 is less power hungry.

>> but what would high speed fibre do for me, which 5.5 Mbps ADSL+ can not???

Faster downloads is the obvious one. Depends on what you're using your PC for though. If it's just emailing and surfing, then your 5.5 Mbps is fine. However if you want to download films, music, etc then high speed fibre is far better. A 1GB App on my iPad and iPhone used to take nearly an hour to update. Now it takes less than 5 mins.

>>At some point you'll have to

Why's that Dave? .. My PC is 5 years old (good one though IMO Novatech) so when that goes nipples up I'll probably buy a new PC anyway.

>> If it's just emailing and surfing, then your 5.5 Mbps is fine.

That's what I mainly use it for + YouTube and the BBC iplayer, which work fine on my connection, even in HD.

Windows 10 Upgrade - Short time left. Worth it? - sooty123
People will be on Windows7 for years and years yet. At work we only went onto Windows 7 last month, some places still use windows 98, I remembered using it as late as 2012 before I got moved.
 Windows 10 Upgrade - Short time left. Worth it? - Bromptonaut
>> People will be on Windows7 for years and years yet. At work we only went
>> onto Windows 7 last month, some places still use windows 98,

We were using NT in the Ministry of Justice until well into the noughties and, AFAIK, XP (the professional version) is still widespread in government. I suspect the Pro version of W7 will be similarly supported, albeit perhaps at a cost, for several years.

For home use though XP is now wholly unsupported, a fact of which I'm reminded whenever I use my netbook.

On a slightly different note , in last few weeks I've seen an auto response suggesting parts of the Court Service still cannot take Word documents on the docx format. Word 97?
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 8 Aug 16 at 11:53
On a slightly different note , in last few weeks I've seen an auto response
>> suggesting parts of the Court Service still cannot take Word documents on the docx format.
>> Word 97?
>>

People on here will know more, but I think you can convert them. I know we had similar problems with formatting of the office package documents to Windows7.
...various "Office Compatibility Packs" have been issued by MS to overcome such issues, and they are generally very effective. Some features, however, can't be properly rendered in "compatibility mode", and for that reason, some organisation (wrongly, IMO) have preferred not to use them.
>> ...various "Office Compatibility Packs" have been issued by MS to overcome such issues, and they
>> are generally very effective. Some features, however, can't be properly rendered in "compatibility mode", and
>> for that reason, some organisation (wrongly, IMO) have preferred not to use them.
>>

Yes that sounds about right, I think they were pretty good at switching documents across so you could still use them.
...as I've posted before, Windows 7 is supported ("extended support" - which essentially means security patches, etc. but no new features) until January 2020.

Windows 10 has the same support until October 2025, but it should be noted that, now MS have a "cumulative release" policy for Windows 10, a copy of Windows 10 needs to have all updates applied to be supported. It will be interesting to see how that works over the coming years, especially if you don't want some of the features (or a new release destroys something critical that you want/need).

I have upgraded a number of machines at home to Win10, but the one I'm using to post this is going to remain firmly on Win7. ;-)
>> Why's that Dave? ..

Well it's free (at the moment) so why not take advantage of it?

>> My PC is 5 years old when that goes nipples up I'll probably buy a new PC anyway.

And the new one will have what operating system? If you upgrade to 10, then at least you'll be used to it when your next PC has it.
>>it's free (at the moment) so why not take advantage of it?

I'll have to have a serious think with me head :)

>>If you upgrade to 10, then at least you'll be used to it when your next PC has it.

Logical, I like logical: www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfI5DMcm02U

I rely so much on a desktop Win7 Pro PC that I decided I needed to have a cheap laptop as a backup. Unfortunately, I left it too late and had to have one with Win10 Home pre-installed. Most of the so-called improvements strike me as ways for Microsoft to snoop on you and I've uninstalled or disabled them. I'm using Firefox and Chrome as browsers and LibreOffice for documents etc. Plus, there's no way I'm going to use the Cloud for anything. Luddite? In this case, proud to be ... for the moment anyway.
>> Most of the so-called improvements strike me as ways for Microsoft to snoop on you and I've uninstalled or disabled them.

Judging by this article in the Independent, it seems that my caution may be justified:
tinyurl.com/zld4svo
 Windows 10 Upgrade - Short time left. Worth it? - spamcan61
I'm not bothering due to the forced Windows updates with Win 10, it brings nothing useful to me and has downsides so why bother.

For example:-

www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/08/windows_10_anniversary_update_is_borking_boxen_everywhere/
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Mon 8 Aug 16 at 17:40
I upgraded from 7 to 10. It was probably worth it.

Not that there is much of a gain in doing so, other than you have to get used to it at some point so why not now. Bits have gone wrong, but windows does that anyway.

There is/was nothing sufficiently annoying or risky to warrant potentially paying for an upgrade in the future.
Has anyone here had the W10 anniversary upgrade/update?
I don't know. I had an upgrade the other night but they didn't say what it was.
>> Has anyone here had the W10 anniversary upgrade/update?

I have and was underwhelmed - more stuff I don't want, which I've got to get rid of. The only consolation, as you'll see elsewhere, is that grumpiness is good for you.
:-))
>> Has anyone here had the W10 anniversary upgrade/update?>>

Yes, I downloaded it specifically as Microsoft is only rolling it out in stages so the servers won't be swamped.

In the About section on the OS in Settings it's listed as 1607 rather than 1511 when installed - so far no problems and one or two useful features. But it takes ages to download and install even on a reasonably fast system.....:-(

See:

support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history

www.howtogeek.com/248177/whats-new-in-windows-10s-anniversary-update/
Just completed upgrade to Anniversary, total time about 4hrs. Although download of about 3 hours allowed continued working. The one disturbing feature was that it went into auto update, with no opportunity to defer to a convenient time. Disabling the machine for about 60 minutes.

Everything seeems to work ok, but time will tell :)
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Sat 13 Aug 16 at 14:48
Mrs O'Reliant has just got hers on her rarely used laptop. Seems to work just the same as always.
I have just forced my W10 Anniversary update. Download about 35/40 minutes: install about 2.5 hours.
There are a whole lot of privacy features to take care of - just make sure you choose "Custom" rather than "Express" when set-up prompts for input. The standard information collected by MS is truly mind-boggling. I have also NOT enabled Cortana, deleted One Drive, not turned on Windows Defender (I use my choice of AV & Firewall) and generally cleaned up the taskbar and notification area.
The first re-start after all this fiddling (pus using Ccleaner to tidy up registry , start up programs etc. and also running the speed-up function/scan/clean-up junk functions of my AV) took a VERY long time!

Hopefully it will settle down to the more usual speedy boot-up time, but for now, I have everything looking as I wish it.
This is worth reading if you wish to prevent the auto restart of the upgrade.
www.ghacks.net/2016/04/08/windows-10-active-hours/

Windows 10 Upgrade - Short time left. Worth it? - Falkirk Bairn
7 days since I switched on my new PC & experienced Win10 for the first time.

I spent some 4 hours on day one - firmware upgrades + Win 10 PLUS deleting Bloatware.

Saturday I was presented with some 14 x patches for firmware & HP software.
13 went in OK, the 14th BIOS Upgrade wiped my Pin Number Access without any warning beforehand. Gained access with MS Password but then struggled with getting PIN access back again.

Win 7 was not the best but in 5 years inflicted less pain on me than Win10 & HP in a week.

Monday indicated upgarde to Win10 - it was about 1 hour download then took 1 hour 30 mins to set itself up - Anniversary Upgrade.

Today installing Office 1,000 MB - took 1 hour to download on my slow BB from AOL (change to SKY Tomorrow - promising faster BB speed & lower monthly fee). Installing was firly painless but for pilot error with the Reg Key - No 5 & the letter S!

Win 10 - does the paim recede from now on?
>>
>> Win 10 - does the paim recede from now on?
>>

Somewhat. The only 'proper' machine* in the Spamcan household still on Win10 is Spamcan Junior's, because there is some fancy integration with his Xbone if he runs Win 10. There is the ongoing Russian roulette of Windows Updates that you can't back out of - already there's been one update which increased his machine's boot time from 15 seconds to 3 minutes for no reason. I managed to system restore back to an earlier date, but lord knows when that 'patch' will hit again.

So from my point of view there is no advantage at all over Win 7, just ongoing pain with updates - many of which mysteriously set your privacy settings back to the default 'send all my stuff to Microsoft' - so need checking regularly.

* I have a little Lenovo Miix 300 running Win10, but that's more a tablet with a keyboard than a PC.
>>lready there's been one update which increased his machine's boot time from 15 seconds to 3 minutes for no reason.<<<

As a one off or every time?

My 6 machines all boot quicker now than pre W10. I would question if he has something in his Start list that has an adverse effect? Skype seems to slow things up significantly.

W10 pro allows you to schedule updates/execution. The only compatability problems have been with old Canon Scanners - an older Epson works, altho the support program does not.
Every blinking time; boot was a consistent 13-15 seconds before whatever update it was that caused the problem. I've got round it for now, i did check via MSConfig that there was nothing untoward in the start sequence but doubtless I'll have to probe in more detail when the update is forced on me once more: so even with W10Pro you can't refuse an update? useful to know.
Latest Forum Posts