Computer Related > Android geeks? Computing Issues
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 6

Android geeks? - Roger.

I am quite able, with my hearing aids in, to hear the sound/speech produced by videos and so on.
My problem is with making & receiving calls, when the volume of voice sound is not enough to hear callers properly.
I know that one can increase volume during a call by using the phone's rocker volume switch, but this is not enough.
I've tried various apps which claim to increase volume, but find that while they can set volumes high in general, none of them seems to set the in-call volume higher than the phone will allow as standard.
Is there a simple solution to this, for me with a moderate level of technicality?
 Android geeks? - rtj70
The problem with most phones is the larger speaker (for listening to music without headphones) is in the bottom of the phone. There's a basic speaker set up for the top of the phone - used for calls too.

My old HTC One M7 had stereo speakers with the same speaker setup at the top and bottom of the phone. So it could be very loud if you wanted it to be.

Remind us what Android phone you went for again. The speaker might just be poor and little you can do.

This isn't an Android phone problem - it's a poor speaker in a phone problem. You can't turn it up too far before it distorts sound.

Does using the phone as a speakerphone help, i.e. handsfree?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 3 Dec 16 at 22:52
 Android geeks? - Manatee
The boss complained about this but when I checked I found that she wasn't positioning the speaker hole next to the earhole.

Assuming that's not your problem, try

- using speakerphone, as suggested - I know someone who does this all the time. Less practical in public places.

- a headset. I use a Sony headphone that cost £15. When out and about I carry a bluetooth earpiece, a Plantronics PLT55 IIRC which has worked well for 4 or 5 years.

I find calls much easier than with the phone clapped to my ear, especially with the full headphones.
 Android geeks? - rtj70
>> a headset

Roger has hearing aids.
 Android geeks? - tyrednemotional
If the hearing aids are "T-loop" compatible, Google "Bluetooth inductive loop".

Android geeks? - Manatee
>> >> a headset
>>
>> Roger has hearing aids.

Sorry, got carried away there. I had read his post, my short term memory is worse than I thought.
 Android geeks? - Roger.
Sometimes I wonder!.
The simple solutions are there in front of me..
RTFM is an idea.
I did not realise that the phone has hands fee mode. Duh.
I downloaded through full manual in. pdf format and found that the option of turning on hands fee, or speaker mode, does not appear until or is in a call.
A tap of the loudspeaker icon does it.
Eureka - I hear a voice :-)
Even better I've found an app which does this automatically.

To change the subject, while trying out loads of apps claiming to increase volume, one of them dumped an ad bot on my phone, which, on my waking up the phone, displayed a full page ad for some crappy games.
My existing antivirus found nothing and I had uninstalled all the useless apps too.
I found that well respected anti malware outfit, Malwarebytes have an Android app. I installed it, ran a very long scan and it found the problem. Options offered to clean and/uninstall the offender were taken.
Problem gone.
Bravo Malwarebytes. It is here to stay on my phone and when I've finished this post, it's going on my tablet.
Latest Forum Posts