Computer Related > Windows 10 Company Cars
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 16

Windows 10 - No FM2R
I should think anyone who had decided not to upgrade to Windows 10 ought to revisit that decision in light of the current and likely future encryption attacks.
 Windows 10 - Focal Point
If your machine runs Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 you can still find a free update to Windows 10.

I make no comment about the ethics or morals of taking advantage of this.

tinyurl.com/h5evwfp
Last edited by: Focal Point on Mon 15 May 17 at 10:46
 Windows 10 - Hard Cheese
Fully updated 7, 8 and 8.1 are fine. Using XP would be a vulnerability now.
 Windows 10 - Bromptonaut
The home fleet are all on 10 and auto update.

At work default is Win7Pro. Most terminals auto update but there are occasions where this causes a problem as our CRM is very picky about what it will work with.

Problem last week where one PC at the outreach/drop in wouldn't let us put in the full range of indicators for issues on which advice was given.
 Windows 10 - DP
The fun they are going to have in the NHS is with all the expensive kit like MRI scanners and X-ray machines with embedded controllers running Windows XP Embedded (XPe), particularly if they rely on any kind of internet connectivity to function. These are tightly integrated into the hardware, and there is no practical means of upgrading the OS if it is not directly supported by the manufacturer.

XPe was massively popular back in the day, in everything from medical kit to airport departure screens to self scan checkouts, and there are a lot of devices still out there using it.
 Windows 10 - Hard Cheese
>> The fun they are going to have in the NHS is with all the expensive
>> kit like MRI scanners and X-ray machines with embedded controllers running Windows XP Embedded (XPe),>>

It's very unlikely they will be online or on a LAN even.
 Windows 10 - No FM2R

>> It's very unlikely they will be online or on a LAN even.

I'd be surprised if they weren't. By coincidence I was dealing with something yesterday and I now *know* that MRI scanners and XRay machines are networked in Chile. I don't really see why it would be different in the UK, though of course it might be.
 Windows 10 - Old Navy
My GP had my CT scan results and images on his desktop screen when I saw him about another matter a couple of hours after the scan. I also know that I have a paper record file at the hospital as well as a digital one.
 Windows 10 - Hard Cheese

>>
>> I'd be surprised if they weren't. By coincidence I was dealing with something yesterday and
>> I now *know* that MRI scanners and XRay machines are networked in Chile. I don't
>> really see why it would be different in the UK, though of course it might
>> be.
>>

>> >> My GP had my CT scan results and images on his desktop screen when I
>> saw him about another matter a couple of hours after the scan. I also know
>> that I have a paper record file at the hospital as well as a digital
>> one.
>>

On reflection perhaps you are right, I was recalling offline lung function machines printing reports though these days they link to the patient's data file.

Windows 10 - BrianByPass
I read reports of MRI scannners having been disconnected at some NHS trusts from IT systems as a precaution.

p.s. Also read that some bank ATMs in Germany and China were hit by the WannaCry ransomware.
Last edited by: BrianByPass on Tue 16 May 17 at 16:38
 Windows 10 - Stuartli
X-Ray scans and images have been available to medical staff via broadband for many years in most hospitals on Merseyside, so no reason it would be any different for MRI etc.

Even the fruit machines in my social club display the Windows XP logo when they are switched on and go through the initialisation mode
....:-)
 Windows 10 - Hard Cheese
>>
>> Even the fruit machines in my social club display the Windows XP logo when they
>> are switched on and go through the initialisation mode
>> ....:-)
>>

Do they take bitcoin?

Windows 10 - movilogo
Windows 7 with latest antivirus and firewall are still good bet.
 Windows 10 - Stuartli
>> Windows 7 with latest antivirus and firewall are still good bet.>>

Microsoft's extended support for Windows7 expires on January 14, 2020, so a fair point. Always did like Win7..:-)
 Windows 10 - Focal Point
"Windows 7 with latest antivirus and firewall are still good bet."

Not so sure about that.

Apparently the recent encryption exploit affected more machines running W7 than any other OS. Obviously I don't know what proportion of them had antivirus and firewall, if any.

See tinyurl.com/lxyldat
 WannaCry ransomware virus - BrianByPass
I wonder if today's outage of rail ticket machines throughout the UK is a WannaCry ransomware virus attack on the Scheidt & Bachmann Ticket machines?

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4628230/Fury-rail-ticket-machine-Britain-breaks-down.html
 Windows 10 - part 2 - smokie
www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40416611

Latest Forum Posts