Computer Related > Sky Broadband (Fibre) Computing Issues
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 9

Sky Broadband (Fibre) - zippy
In the last 2 weeks its been down for 7 days.

This time the phones are not working either.

Sky reports that there are 7 breaks in the fibre cable that need repairing and a huge section of the county is down.

I thought that they used Open Reach's network as do Talk Talk and others and they are still up!?
 Sky Broadband (Fibre) - Stuartli
Is this what you are referring to?

www.trustedreviews.com/news/sky-broadband-not-working-down

I have TalkTalk fibre - it's working fine where I live (Southport), although the map in the link suggests it might not be so.

I do know that since I renewed my contract to retain the low cost agreement about 10 days ago, the download speeds can be up to 55Mbps (on a 38Mbps contract) and that the upload speed is consistently just under 10 Mbps (supposed to be 2Mbps maximum). I'm certainly not complaining!
>> www.trustedreviews.com/news/sky-broadband-not-working-down

Yes, that would be the one!

:-/
 Sky Broadband (Fibre) - Stuartli
>>...upload speed is consistently just under 10 Mbps...>

Had an e-mail today from TalkTalk to say that upload speeds are now up to 5x faster than previously to give extra value and an improved service if a lot of downloading is being done.

That explains the unexpected upload speeds....:-)
 Sky Broadband (Fibre) - tyrednemotional
I haven't studied the topology much for a good few years, but it certainly could be accounted for by shared Openreach FTTC technology as far back as the exchange, and then SKY-specific backhaul and consolidation provision from there to the web.
 Sky Broadband (Fibre) - Zero
There is lots of OEM backhaul, and Backbone fibre out there provided by various vendors, BT has to provide a tap into the exchange, but that may be via a BT owned consolation node

In English, it could be a non BT problem in a non BT major fibre
 Sky Broadband (Fibre) - Hard Cheese
>> There is lots of OEM backhaul, and Backbone fibre out there provided by various vendors,
>> BT has to provide a tap into the exchange, but that may be via a BT owned consolation node
>>
>> In English, it could be a non BT problem in a non BT major fibre
>>

Could be, though add few raisons, a bit of dried fruit and some milk and it becomes quite palatable ...
All back now.

Sky reports someone installing fence posts cut their fibre in 7 places!

Nothing like a solid secure infrastructure for those that have to work from home!

Sky Broadband (Fibre) - bathtub tom
>> Sky reports someone installing fence posts cut their fibre in 7 places!

Colleague set fire to his pampas grass (as he understood was the correct procedure). Son came out and told him the internet had gone down.

Sky had led the feed through the middle of said pampas grass!
 Sky Broadband (Fibre) - CGNorwich
I like the idea of a consolation node. We all need one at times.
Latest Forum Posts