Computer Related > "Remember login on this computer" message Computing Issues
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 15

"Remember login on this computer" message - Ambo
I regularly tick this box on protected websites and my tick is always ignored. Do I need to do something to activate the facility please?
 "Remember login on this computer" message - VxFan
Do you have cookies enabled?

Do you run something like CCleaner on a regular basis that is deleting cookies because you haven't customised it to remember certain ones?
Yes on both counts. I guess those are the places to look for a remedy.
So, with regard to CCleaner, have you customised it to remember certain cookies before running it?
Tried and failed. Could you advise how to do this, please? It was easy on my former computer but maybe changing this or updating CC has changed something.
>> Tried and failed. Could you advise how to do this, please?

www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/ccleaner-settings/choosing-which-cookies-to-keep
 "Remember login on this computer" message - No FM2R
I think these days, assuming that you were on Windows 10, I would simply uninstall CCleaner.

Clearing out cookies is more often a pain than anything else, as you are finding out, but can be done within the browser if you care that much.

About the only useful thing it still does is clean up temporary files., and even then gone are the days when a machine could be transformed by recovering a few hundred mb.

Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 25 Aug 17 at 13:02
 "Remember login on this computer" message - smokie
I bet there's few people who clean up their disk of old Windows installation files (system files) which can get huge - sometimes Gbs of space - and other Windows junk. Upgrade files are supposed to delete themselves after a period but it does no harm to run the in-built tools to clean your disks once in a while.

Open Explorer, right click a disk and go to Properties.Mid right of the screen click Disk Cleanup. The first screen clears general rubbish and can save quite a bit of space. But also on that screen is system files, which can save a whole load more. It can take quite some time if there is a lot for it top do.
 "Remember login on this computer" message - Stuartli
Just type Disk Cleanup into the Run box - probably even quicker.

Did a Disk Cleanup on best mate's laptop yesterday after he installed Windows10 Curator a few days ago - the windows.old and other files totalled 34.1GB...:-)

He's said today that the laptop is very much faster as a result.....
That doesn't work for me ("Windows cannot find Disk...") but this command did

cleanmgr.exe /cDrive

or dDrive or whichever drive you want to clean - system files will usually only be a problem on C drive though
 "Remember login on this computer" message - Duncan
>> Tried and failed. Could you advise how to do this, please? It was easy on
>> my former computer but maybe changing this or updating CC has changed something.
>>

Why does it matter? One click and you're logged in again.
Perhaps I did not make myself clear. My aim is for User IDs to be retained on sites protected by them, so I don't have to type them in every time I return to the sites. I have preserved the relevant cookies via CCleaner (and done a disk clean up) but to no avail.
 "Remember login on this computer" message - No FM2R
CCleaner is not the only thing which can clean up cookies, but step 1 would be disabling / uninstalling that to see if it makes the difference.

The next thing to check is whether or not your browser is cleaning up its cookies every time you exit, or that perhaps you are running in some form of privacy mode.

Try disabling/removing CCleaner first, see if that helps. Its only a moments work to put it back again if it has no effect.
Which browser are you using? Is it Windows 10?

Did it used to work and has stopped, if so are you aware of anything being upgraded or installed at or around the time it stopped working?

Does it work as expected on some websites, and not others, or does it not work at all?

When not working, does it present you with the username/password box pre-filled for you to just press enter?

Have you tried changing your password on one of the errant sites to force it to re-write the data, and see if it then works?

Sorry to delay answering for so long. It is "Windows 7 Home Premium". I don't think it has ever worked on this computer. It works on none of them. There are no pre-filled boxes. Changing a password makes no difference.
Sorry, I asked a misleading question. First one should have been two - 1) is it Windows 10? 2) which browser?

Anyway in Chrome it is an option which you may need to turn on - go into Advanced Settings for "Autofill settings" and "Manage Passwords". I expect it's similar in other browsers.
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 11 Sep 17 at 12:22
Latest Forum Posts