Computer Related > iOS11 Computing Issues
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 36

iOS11 - Duncan
Fill your boots.
 iOS11 - No FM2R
Don't know much about Apple, to be honest, but this is probably worth reading, if only to be sure you don't care.

www.bbc.com/news/technology-41319675
 iOS11 - VxFan
Gonna wait a week or two before I install it so any bugs can be eliminated.

One new feature is the "do not disturb while driving" option.

I see the authorities are trying to pressurise other Smartphone OS, (eg Android and Windows Phone) into introducing this feature too.

(edited to correct the last sentence before the pedants come along)
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 20 Sep 17 at 10:34
 iOS11 - Old Navy
>> One new feature is the "do not disturb while driving" option.

Totally useless unless it cuts in automatically above walking pace and can't be overridden.
 iOS11 - smokie
I get your point but you'd need to be able to override it or you wouldn't be able to make a call as a passenger.

iOS11 - Mapmaker
>>as a passenger.

on a bus, train, helicopter or train.
 iOS11 - VxFan
>> Totally useless

Not necessarily. In the event of an accident the phone can be checked to see if the mode was enabled and thus not apportion blame to phone misuse while driving.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 20 Sep 17 at 10:35
 iOS11 - Zero
Renamed flight mode to justify the outrageous cost of the device
 iOS11 - Bobby
Don’t know if anything to do with IOS 11 or the 3 (I think) updates since its release, but now when I plug my iPhone into laptop, iTunes doesn’t find it.
Used to automatically launch iTunes when plugged in.
The laptop recognises the phone in file manager etc. But even manually opening iTunes and searching for a device draws a blank.

Any ideas?
 iOS11 - Zero
What PC and OS is it?

Last edited by: Zero on Mon 16 Oct 17 at 08:59
 iOS11 - Bobby
Lenovo laptop running Win 10.
Worked perfectly well up till a month or so ago which probably is roughly the time I switched to IOS 11.
iTunes fully up to date
 iOS11 - Zero
>> Lenovo laptop running Win 10.
>> Worked perfectly well up till a month or so ago which probably is roughly the
>> time I switched to IOS 11.
>> iTunes fully up to date

You'll need to update the iPhone device driver probably,

Open Control Panel > Device Manager
Plug in your device
Locate Universal Serial Bus Controllers > Apple Mobile Device USB Driver.
It is also possible the device may show under Imaging Devices, Portable Devices or Other Devices or as an MTB USB Device.
Right-click and select Update Driver Software...

It might require a reinstall of iTunes. Which in itself is never a bad thing from time to time.
 iOS11 - VxFan
I thought there was something wrong with iTunes last night. None of my Apps were showing when I launched it.

Turns out that iTunes version 12.7 no longer has the App Store. iTunes 12.7 removes the ability to sync iOS apps and ringtones on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch via iTunes.

osxdaily.com/2017/09/13/itunes-12-7-update-removes-app-store/

Slightly annoying as I have a video download App that isn't compatible with iOS 11 (hence why I haven't updated to iOS 11 yet). I wanted to download the videos through iTunes onto my PC before updating the iOS to the latest version. Now I'll either have to roll back to an earlier version of iTunes to do it, or find some 3rd party software instead.
 iOS11 - Bobby
Cheers - will try that.
Dont want to reinstall itunes as it will lose all my settings , playlists etc?
It took me ages to set everything up individually rather than the "let itunes take control of all your music and do what it wants with it" button!
 iOS11 - Bobby
Driver software all up to date.

If I delete itunes and reinstall do I lose all settings I assume?
 iOS11 - Zero
you can export your playlists and reimport them. Assuming that your music is sorted the way you like it, a new iTunes will just index it.
 iOS11 - Bobby
A new itunes update came down over the weekend and now its finding my phone again.
Must have been a bug somewhere.
 iOS11 - Mapmaker
Did it on Thursday (got sick of the iNagging). (On a 6S). Can't recommend it. It's quite handy to be able to open low-power mode from the home screen. Otherwise not sure what the difference is other than that it eats battery, has slowed the phone down, and is prone to crashing.
 iOS11 - VxFan
>> Otherwise not sure what the difference is other than that it eats battery, has slowed the
>> phone down, and is prone to crashing.

My iPad air and iPhone SE seem to be slightly faster since installing iOS11. Not noticed any battery issues either. My iPhone SE has locked up a couple of times though, and SIRI sometimes doesn't work without first rebooting the phone. Hasn't happened with my iPad air.

I had to install iOS11 on my pad through iTunes though. For some reason it wouldn't update at all though Wi-Fi.
 iOS11 - zippy
Work's iPhone insisted on the update the other day or it would stop working.

Don't like IOS11. It looks like a "Little Tykes" for iPhone design.

There is a silly bug on the calculator, try adding 1+2+3.
 iOS11 - VxFan
>> There is a silly bug on the calculator, try adding 1+2+3.

Which equals 6

What's supposed to happen then?

iOS11 - zippy
>>What's supposed to happen then?

1+2+3 was showing as 24 for a lot of users, with the second "+" not registering if pressed fairly promptly after the "2".

www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/782250/try_quickly_typing_1_2_3_into_the_ios_11/
 iOS11 - Stuartli
Why are you unable to add 1, 2 and 3 together without the use of an iPhone? :-)
 iOS11 - VxFan
Because we have been assimilated.
 iOS11 - VxFan
Update iOS11.1

Has anyone updated to the latest version yet, and more specifically had any problems with their gyroscope?

I did my iPad Air last night and any game playing is now near on impossible. I tried recalibrating the gyroscope, which works fine for a few moments, but then I have to resort to holding the iPad at up to a 45 deg angle again for anything to go straight.

I did see mention of it on Google, but wondered if anyone here has noticed it too?
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 7 Nov 17 at 12:56
 iOS11 - Stuartli
Here's one apparent bug:

tinyurl.com/ydcwama4
 iOS11 - VxFan
>> Here's one apparent bug: tinyurl.com/ydcwama4

And the temporary solution from Apple for that one is.

support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208240

What is it with Apple just lately? They never used to make this many errors.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 8 Nov 17 at 13:06
 iOS11 - Stuartli
>>What is it with Apple just lately?>>

Dunno. Always been an Android fan.

Mind you, Windows10 has been a b********* in recent months, especially with legacy drivers which more often than not just permanently dumped and a poor replacement supplied.
 iOS11 - smokie
No Windows issues here, in fact Windows 10 and all it's major updates feel to me to have been the most stable I've ever come across. All my crappy old devices still work...
 iOS11 - No FM2R
I'm with Smokie on this one; absolutely the least stress I've ever had with Windows. Everything just works.
 iOS11 - VxFan
As above. No probs with Win10.
 iOS11 - Bromptonaut
>> As above. No probs with Win10.

Me neither but Stuartlii mentions legacy items. If I tried to keep my printers/peripherals for as long as my cars I'd have big trouble......
 iOS11 - Zero
The problem with Windows 10 is that the update process, for security fixes and updates, over which you have no control (unless you are a techy) has also decided it knows best about drivers. Which is fine if you have fairly standard stuff which is current, but as soon as you step outside that zone and load your own drivers for less mainstream stuff, then windows kicks them out and sticks what it thinks is best, back again.

that's fine, there is a convoluted workaround, but it also hits the not so techy when they install brand new state of the art stuff, that windows isn't sure about. It kicks your bleeding edge drivers out, and replaces it with useless old crap.
 iOS11 - Stuartli
>>Me neither but Stuartlii mentions legacy items.>>

Spot on. It's a pain trying to get more recent drivers to replace them, but it can be done with perseverance.

Zero is right as well, but I also agree that Windows10 is more stable than earlier versions, although Windows7 was also a major step forward, just as was the case with XP and XP Pro.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Thu 9 Nov 17 at 00:36
 iOS11 - VxFan
>> Here's one apparent bug: tinyurl.com/ydcwama4

Now apparently fixed with the release of iOS11.1.1

The update also addresses an issue where the 'Hey Siri' feature occasionally stopped working.

Just gotta wait for them to fix the gyroscope / accelerometer issue.
 iOS11 - VxFan
>> Just gotta wait for them to fix the gyroscope / accelerometer issue.

Hurrah! The latest update seems to have resolved it.
 iOS11 - Hard Cheese
I really don't know what it is with iPhones and IOS, the rest of the clan have them, son's 5c was troublesome though of course he wanted another so has a 6s, other son was loyal to Windows phones though Microsoft were not loyal to him so he now has an iPhone 7 which is costing a relative fortune. Wife has a 5s that is hardly used so really should be behaving itself though daughter's 5s has been playing up for the last few months, and it not eligible for an upgrade until the new year, though she too really wants another iPhone!! Whereas my last Xperia was pretty much as new when I replaced it in Jan '16 and my current one is as new, lightening fast, water and dust proof and, although I don't like being wedded to Google, Android is soooo much more flexible than IOS. So I'll probably get a SIM only deal in Jan and keep it in service.
Latest Forum Posts