Computer Related > DVD Recorder Computing Issues
Thread Author: neiltoo Replies: 16

DVD Recorder - neiltoo
My 10 year old Panasonic DMR-EX77EB has stopped working.
First the panel was lit, but it would not respond to the handset, or the fascia controls.
I rebooted, but it is now dead.
If I can't get into it, then I will probably just replace it with the same.
We have a Dumb TV, which I use with Chromecast, which is all I need until the TV is replaced.
Is there some sort of reset for the Recorder - or an internal fuse - or is it dead, defunct etc?
Is it possible to get at the recordings? There are some things that I don't really want to lose.

TIA

Neil
 DVD Recorder - rtj70
Checked the fuse? Checked the manual?

www.dvdplayer-manual.com/manuals/panasonic/Panasonic_DMR-EX77EB.pdf

No idea what format it will store programmes on the disk. Could buy a second hand one and swap the drive over.

Should have used one of the facilities of the recorder to transfer programmes to keep of the HDD to a DVD-R. You will next time.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 24 Sep 17 at 10:55
 DVD Recorder - neiltoo
Yup.
Checked the Manual, and the fuse.

I've copied lots of movies etc to DVD, and these play on the computer.
Just haven't copied everything.
Nothing serious, and I can get to most from the chromecast

8o(

Neil
 DVD Recorder - VxFan
>> If I can't get into it,

If you can get into it, check for any swollen capacitors on the power supply PCB. Also check for any onboard fuses on the same PCB. They'll either be a fusible link(s) which are soldered on the PCB, or more likely a small 20mm glass fuse(s) which can be popped out of the fuse holder and replaced.
 DVD Recorder - neiltoo
Thanks.

I once saw my Sinclair amplifier (great sound, but fragile!) blow up, with a bang and a puff of smoke.
On inspection, found a cinder in place of a component, in a one inch ring of soot.

I think that a repair to a board would be beyond me, but I could retrieve the hard drive.

I presume that then I would put it in a caddy to connect to the lap top.
Is there a setting for the jumpers?

New recorder ordered from JLP.

Cheers
Neil
 DVD Recorder - smokie
Being older it may well be an IDE drive so you would need an IDE to USB caddy. You almost definitely wouldn't need to change jumpers. (I presume that a more modern machine would recognise IDE - would it, anyone?)

Anyway, the drive may be encrypted but even if not I suspect the files could be in a filesystem or format which your laptop doesn't recognise (natively).

The original TiVos were essentially a Linux machine and (IIRC) the files were .vob files. I could read the disk and copy off the files using tools which people had written, but it certainly wasn't as easy as plug it in and away you go, not a by a long chalk!!

This thread talks about a manual method for recovering shows from some Panasonics.

tinyurl.com/ycqpqoak

Maybe someone has written a tool that does it.

Disclaimer: Much of the above is informed assumption and I don't mind being proved wrong!!
 DVD Recorder - Stuartli
A hard disk caddy should come with various adapters for IDE, SATA, USB etc.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Tue 26 Sep 17 at 10:53
 DVD Recorder - rtj70
I've found instructions of how to do this for a DMR-EH55 which suggests that VOB files are used like VxFan says. So if you are a bit technical it is doable on the PC.

www.avsforum.com/forum/106-dvd-recorders-standard-def/1010518-panasonic-dmr-hard-drive-data-recovery-can-done.html
 DVD Recorder - Stuartli
Panasonic TVs and recordings are a pain sometimes. I use a standard external hard drive for recordings, but it can only be used with my TV for playing them back.

So, if I change the TV, my 1TB hard drive's contents are lost forever....
 DVD Recorder - VxFan
>> like VxFan says.

Wasn't me.
 DVD Recorder - rtj70
No it was smokie. Your suggestion would probably fix it. I bet it's a poor joint or blown capacitor.
 DVD Recorder - smokie
You're losing it Rob, you posted the same link as I did!!!

Well found though... :-)
 DVD Recorder - rtj70
I didn't follow your link so how would I know it was the same one - yours was a tiny url ;-)

I think retrieving the video files and making them useable is a little complex. I wonder if neiltoo will be bothered to try.
 DVD Recorder - neiltoo
Hmm,

You may be right. I may not bother too much if it's too difficult.

I have, in the past, used the recorder to transfer to DVDs and they play on the laptop.

Thanks all for the help. When the new one comes, I,ll see how easy it is to get inside the old one.

(I have a string of part finished projects so don't hold your breath for an update!)

8o)

Neil
Last edited by: neiltoo on Tue 26 Sep 17 at 16:54
 DVD Recorder - No FM2R
No idea if your recorder is a common model, but perhaps keep your eyes open in the local charity shops etc, just in case one turns up. It doesn't really matter how crap it is, just so it works long enough for you to swap the disks and get your programs off.
 DVD Recorder - neiltoo
Update on the problem.

I got a caddy, but neither the new DVD recorder nor the laptop recognises it, so I'm resigned to the loss of the programmes.

8o(

Thanks to all though.

Neil
 DVD Recorder - spamcan61
When I was copying video files off a DVR to a Windows laptop I needed to use a utility to enable the Windows machine to read the Linux formatted HDD on the DVR, might be worth a punt:-

lifehacker.com/334535/access-linux-files-from-windows-with-linux-reader

think that's the one I used
Latest Forum Posts