Computer Related > Lost Sound Computing Issues
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 27

Lost Sound - Ambo
The sound system on my computer was working, but failed a few hours later. Now, there is a distinct click when the speakers are turned on and the plugs are secure, so the connections must be ok. But there is no sound from Spotify etc. Why could that be?
 Lost Sound - Ambo
P.S. It is not down to the onscreen volume control which is set at high.
 Lost Sound - VxFan
But have you accidentally muted the sound?

Lost Sound - Ambo
No, that is ok.
 Lost Sound - Stuartli
....even in one of the apps?
 Lost Sound - Ambo
Sorry, not understood. What apps would those be? I'm only familiar with TV apps. (I don't have a smart phone.)
 Lost Sound - Ambo
If that means Spotify and BBC I-player, neither has sound.
 Lost Sound - Lemma
I had something similar recently and a restart of the machine seemed to fix it. Another thought might be that you have your set up switched to internal speakers, rather than external. Not sure of this is relevant to you but I have at various times encountered both of these problems.
 Lost Sound - Ambo
That could be a clue, Lemma. The volume switch on the screen frame brings up a small window headed Volume, under which is a slide control, then a zero sign and Cancel then Save and Return. The ground is black and although the cursor can just be made out the mouse cannot make any change.
 Lost Sound - No FM2R
Right click on the little speaker sign on the bottom bar.

Click on "Playback devices"

That should take you to a list of playback available devices.

One should have a green tick next to it, is it the one you expected? It should also say default.

Clicking on "configure" will allow you to test it
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 18 Oct 17 at 10:54
 Lost Sound - Ambo
The green tick is as expected and the bar indicator to the right is dancing up and down, presumably in time with the music but "High Definition Driver Device" and "Default Device" are greyed out. The test shows both speakers radiating but still no sound.
 Lost Sound - No FM2R
The speakers are plugged in, and if there is a separate volume control on the speakers it is turned up?

Are the speakers you are expecting to use also the "Default Device"?
 Lost Sound - Ambo
They are plugged in and the control is turned up. They are the expected speakers.

When I turned on the computer just now there was an almost instantaneous flash message in red which I think said "DVA no signal". There was another green message but I couldn't make it out, neither can I get these flashes back by restarting. I guess they confirmed that there is vision but no sound.
 Lost Sound - VxFan
Standard 3.5mm jack plug on the speakers?

Try them on another audio device to verify they're not duff.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 18 Oct 17 at 12:51
 Lost Sound - No FM2R
Have you changed anything on the computer or installed anything around the same time as the sound stopped?

Are the speakers connected by USB or standard jack?

If the jack, have you got any other speakers or headphones you could plug in to see if you get any sound?

Is the device you are expecting to heare from also the "Default Device" in the earlier menu?

I should think the DVA warning was just your screen starting up and waiting for windows, probably not connected to this problem, though lets bear it in mind.
 Lost Sound - Ambo
I was replying to your message, FM2R when my computer shut down, and restarted with a Malwarebytes message that it had quarantined 22 threats - and the sound came back on!
 Lost Sound - No FM2R
Well that's good.

Any idea where you picked the malware up from? Any strange emails in the last few days? Any websites clicked on which turned out to be not what you expected? Anything recently installed?

Its always a good idea to get it down in your mind if you can, just to avoid in the future.

22 is quite a lot from one attack, so it'll be best if you can think how/where/when.
 Lost Sound - Ambo
Nothing I can think of but I have also run Microsoft Security Essentials (zero threats) and CCleaner. Many thanks to all.
 Lost Sound - Ambo
It is a DELL set of two tweeters, and a base unit with a balance control. All three are all linked together by a plug into the base unit. The plug is held in place by two screw-in fittings so can't come loose. The on/off//volume control is on one of the tweeters.
 Lost Sound - Stuartli
>>...even in one of the apps?...>>

Apps featuring music or other sound requirements can have a volume control separate from the base configuration.
 Lost Sound - Ambo
Got it, thanks
 Lost Sound - VxFan
>> Apps featuring music or other sound requirements

I only consider the term "app" to be associated with tablets and smart phones. With desktop and laptop PCs I still refer to them as either software or programs. In short I dislike the term "app" to describe something on a PC.
 Lost Sound - commerdriver
>> I only consider the term "app" to be associated with tablets and smart phones.
>>
Not a MAC person then Vx?
 Lost Sound - rtj70
App is short for application and therefore is applicable to applications like MS Office, MS Visio, Adobe Flash etc.
 Lost Sound - Hard Cheese
>> App is short for application and therefore is applicable to applications like MS Office, MS
>> Visio, Adobe Flash etc.
>>

Agreed, though I still find "app" and annoying abbreviation, like "dem" when you want to listen to HiFi etc, what's wrong with "demonstration", of course "demo" seems to have got hijacked by anarchists.

Lost Sound - VxFan
>> Not a MAC person then Vx?

I prefer an anorak ;)
 Lost Sound - Clk Sec
:-)
 Lost Sound - No FM2R
I thought it was a dark brown overcoat.
Latest Forum Posts