Computer Related > iPhone speedometer app Computing Issues
Thread Author: commerdriver Replies: 27

iPhone speedometer app - commerdriver
Geeky time, for the first time since I transferred to an iPhone as my main phone I am on a mainline steam trip on the 28th.
Can anyone recommend a GPS speedometer app for the iPhone please
 iPhone speedometer app - Bobby
Good question - watching with interest with any answers!

I have used one of my sports tracking apps a couple of times just to check speed but not sure how accurate they are when you tell it you are cycling at 70 mph!!
 iPhone speedometer app - No FM2R
They are all pretty much the same;

Appearance varies, a matter of choice.

Functionality can vary between the free and paid versions, but none of that matters if you just care about measuring / displaying speed.

Accuracy depends on your phone's GPS sensor, not the app.

FWIW I use DigiHUD Speedometer which seems fine.
>> FWIW I use DigiHUD Speedometer which seems fine.
>>
It is just as a basic speedo, thanks Mark
 iPhone speedometer app - No FM2R
Glad about that CD, and rather lucky. I missed the bit where you mentioned iPhone. I use it on an Android.

Pleased it works on an iPhone as well.
 iPhone speedometer app - Bobby
I have downloaded two apps - Speedmeter and Speedometer from Apple app store and although i have set all permissions etc, neither seem able to find GPS.

Anyone got a working one for iphone they can recommend?
 iPhone speedometer app - VxFan
>> Anyone got a working one for iphone they can recommend?

Not a stand alone speedo app as such, but one of my sat nav apps has a speed indicator on it, which is Navmii

iPhone speedometer app - Zero
That will be the Cotswold Venturer. Dont bother, at no point will the the train be doing more than 70mph.

Sit back and listen for the return up Sapperton bank, it wont be going fast but it will be working its socks off. And thats what its all about.
>> That will be the Cotswold Venturer. Dont bother, at no point will the the train
>> be doing more than 70mph.
>>
>> Sit back and listen for the return up Sapperton bank, it wont be going fast
>> but it will be working its socks off. And thats what its all about.
>>

It is indeed Z, still worth looking for curiosityI know it will not be going over 70
I will find a suitable window to listen at up Sapperton bank

The main purpose is as a pleasure trip, SWMBO is going as well so we are doing cream tea etc rather than the usual, at the back with the geeks.

>> I will find a suitable window to listen at up Sapperton bank

This is Sapperton

www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=Q9V9x0R_hWk.

Im guessing you will be up it in the dark, the fireman will be shovelling coal on about every 10 seconds, the firebox door will be open, the regulator will be wide open, it will be on a short cut off so if you are lucky the trees will be flashing orange from the pulsing of 42 square feet of red hot coal.

iPhone speedometer app - Hard Cheese
>> Im guessing you will be up it in the dark, the fireman will be shovelling
>> coal on about every 10 seconds, the firebox door will be open, the regulator will
>> be wide open, it will be on a short cut off so if you are
>> lucky the trees will be flashing orange from the pulsing of 42 square feet of
>> red hot coal.
>>

That's clearly your thing Z, rather than high bypass gas turbine engines ;-)
60103 Flying Scotsman was pulled off its scheduled tour today due to a hot axle box on the tender. Luckily it was near the Nene Valley railway, so if they can limp it in there, they can cast a new white metal bearing, hopefully test it and get it down to London for Saturdays trip
 iPhone speedometer app - Focal Point
Indeed, that seems correct.

A local paper less than one hour ago reports that "The world famous Flying Scotsman will spend the night at Nene Valley Railway in Wansford after breaking down in Peterborough this afternoon, Wednesday October 18."

tinyurl.com/yawjwnz9

A stamping ground of mine from a few years ago.
 iPhone speedometer app - Focal Point
More than a night, apparently.

It will be there until "early next week", the local rag reports.

Article, video and pics: tinyurl.com/y79b7wa3
Joys of steam engines
However 10 days to get it fixed for me
Hope it's easily sorted & OK for Saturday
Rumour mill says FS wont be fixed till early November. - thats not confirmed. Its tour this weekend has been officially cancelled and rescheduled. Detailed Timings and route for your trip next weekend are now available on the Network rail system.

Ill let you know when I know stuff, which will be way before Steam Dreams tell you.
Ok it wasn't a hot axle box on the tender, it was a main driving wheel. This is an issue, where you normally need a wheel drop* Wansford, the engineering base of the NVR where 4472 ended up does not have a wheel drop. This is the solution being used to drop the main driving axle out of the bottom of the frames.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bc5v_zk240&feature=youtu.be

As long as they don't move ANY of the motion one inch** while the wheel set is out it should be perfectly timed when it goes back

*Wheel drop. Essentially a deepish pit with rails either side, and you can take a section of the rails out and drop the wheel set (axle with wheels fixed on) on jacks

**Motion: Is the connecting rods, levers and sliders on the side connecting up all the driving wheels.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 22 Oct 17 at 19:41
Thanks for that Z, will keep an eye on that this week
Flying Scotsman won't be fixed in time, looks like you will be getting LMS Royal Scot Class 4-6-0 no 46100 Royal Scot

This one, I filmed last Saturday

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwV3rdv5t6M
Thanks Z, I just had an email from RTC confirming that
One of the joys of steam engines, hasn't happened too often to me over the years, but it's not the first time and probably won't be the last
Should still be a good trip

Nice video by the way, the things people put up with to see / film a steam engine
Hmm, must be a good reason why your vid is preceeded by a Senokot ad ....
>> Hmm, must be a good reason why your vid is preceeded by a Senokot ad
>> ....
Yes there is, as you know the adds are chosen by your browser history.
>> >> Hmm, must be a good reason why your vid is preceeded by a Senokot
>> ad
>> >> ....
>> Yes there is, as you know the adds are chosen by your browser history.
>>

Not the ads on You Tube preceding videos. They are simply paid for ads distributed by You Tube. So totally random actually.
 iPhone speedometer app - neiltoo
I'm sure you've said before, but what camera do you use?
The zoom on it is great.

Neil
Panasonic HCV770. They have the best optical and electronic picture stabilisation.
 iPhone speedometer app - Bromptonaut
Could never get GPS to work on 'ordinary' trains like London Midland's 350s or predecessor 321s. No signal. Might be better in a BR MK1 though.
Just to close this one off,
I downloaded & installed a free app called Speedometer 55 from the App Store and it did the business when required, picked up the location and speed fairly rapidly each time I used it laid on the table beside the window, clear readout, good app.
As Z said, no great speed trial, few stretches at 70 - 75 no problem but we did have a diesel on the back for any tricky bits.
The operators of these trips are getting quite neurotic about safety with stern warnings about not leaning out at all and security people and barriers at every station stop stopping you getting anywhere near the engine.
Still enjoyed the day, nice video of the early part of the trip, Z, when the weather was distinctly misty & wintery.

>> but we did have a diesel on the back for any tricky bits.

In anticipation of bad rail head conditions, i.e. leaf mulch, but it seems from reports that the Scot, with a well know and experienced crew on the footplate, managed to keep its feet most of the time.*

>>The operators of these trips are getting quite neurotic about safety with stern warnings about
>> not leaning out at all and security people and barriers at every station stop stopping
>> you getting anywhere near the engine.

Stems from recent history where the Train Operating Company lost its license after repeated breaches of safety, terminating in very nearly (missed by about 30 seconds) totalling Tangmere and 110 passengers into an IC125 with as many on board.

*this is what happens when you have enough horsepower, but no traction.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuBd9Jt6Aaw
Latest Forum Posts