Computer Related > Laptop advice Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 8

Laptop advice - Bobby
Looking for laptop for my daughter. I have a Lenovo that has i5 processor and 6GB RAM thought bought maybe 3 years ago and it has done well and is still doing well.

Trying to get as good as I can for around £300 ish and see this
www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/second-user-lenovo-t430-14-intel-core-i5-3210m-2.50ghz-8gb-320gb-windows-1-s1-t430-uk-t035-2yr/version.asp#/maindesc

which seems to have similar spec to mine.

Any experts have thoughts on these or suggest alternatives for same price (ish)?
 Laptop advice - Stuartli
I had a Lenovo i5 laptop - rarely used, but gave up the ghost after five years whilst being charged up. the motherboard had fried.....

Bought a so-called refurbished Dell Vostro 3559 from EuropPC, also an i5, for two-thirds of the price and it proved to be immaculate (the second purchase I've made from the company in recent years, the other being for a friend).

Well worth a visit to its website as Dell products are undoubtedly much superior and the Vostro also came with a three-year business collect on site warranty....:-)
 Laptop advice - Bobby
What is website name? Cant find anything with Europpc?
 Laptop advice - Bobby
Got it - Euro PC
 Laptop advice - Stuartli
Apologies - should have checked before posting:

www.europc.co.uk/

Based in Scotland. Terrific company.

Info:

www.europc.co.uk/about
 Laptop advice - sherlock47
>> www.europc.co.uk
>> Based in Scotland. Terrific company.

Seconded! see my thread earlier this month.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 25 Nov 17 at 05:13
 Laptop advice - Bobby
Does it follow that i5 is better than i3 in all cases?
Are the "i" better than AMD?
 Laptop advice - Bobby
I can't see anything in the Euro PC site that is better than the one I posted originally??
i5, 8GB RAM, for £300 and 2 year warranty (though not sure what cover the battery would get)
 Laptop advice - rtj70
>> Does it follow that i5 is better than i3 in all cases?
Yes. And an i7 is better than an i5. More features likely to be enabled such as Hyperthreading.

>> Are the "i" better than AMD?
Intel CPUs for the last few years have been much better than AMD offerings for performance and power efficiency. But at a given price point for the actual CPU it might have been possible to get a better performing AMD processor than an Intel.

But AMD's latest Ryzen processors are very good. Giving Intel a run for their money. You're likely to find many more laptops with an Intel processor than an AMD Ryzen though.
Latest Forum Posts