Computer Related > Screen aspect ratio Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 10

Screen aspect ratio - bathtub tom
SWMBO complained the PC has a 'funny' look.
It's almost as if it's in 16:9 aspect ration on a 4:3 screen, being squashed and elongated.
I've gone through the screen's menu and control panel, but can't seem to set it right.
There's no black lines at either top and bottom or sides of the screen.
SWMBO comes from a family of 'random button pressers', but denies doing anything.

Any advice would be appreciated please.
 Screen aspect ratio - rtj70
Is it Windows 10 and what laptop make/model.
 Screen aspect ratio - smokie
You might want to look if you have nVidia control panel or somesuch program as you can play with the aspect ratio there. Often used to go wrong (for me, at least) in the old days when an updated driver came down the line.

Have a look in the menu when you right click on the desktop.
 Screen aspect ratio - No FM2R
Did you check the resolution?

It may be set to a resolution incompatible with the screens proportions;

16:9 & 4:3 are a matter of dimensional proportion.

When you look at a resolution of 2560 x 1600, which is what mine is set to for example, that addresses both resolution and vertical/horizontal proportion. Perhaps fiddle with that?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 23 Nov 17 at 23:41
 Screen aspect ratio - Manatee
I have a fairly standard 15" laptop.

I just checked and it is at 1366 x 768. As suggested, right click on the desk top to get to the display settings and see if you can set it to that for starters, or whatever is labelled 'recommended' if it has a different resolution to mine.
 Screen aspect ratio - No FM2R
calculateaspectratio.com/
It's a Windows 10 pro PC not a laptop.
The (LG) screen has a 16:9 aspect ratio dimensions and measures 16" x 9". It has an autoset button that recommends an optimal display resolution of 1360 x 768.
In desktop the display is set to 1024 X 768, but the only other option it gives me is 800 x 600.

Screen aspect ratio - Zero
I would suspect that a windows 10 update has replaced your video driver, you need to install a later one.
 Screen aspect ratio - smokie
... and to have a look at this,

Right click Start Menu
Click Device Manager in the left hand pane
In the right hand pane expand Display Adapters

You may have two. One of mine is nVidia GEForce

If you double click on these and then click the Driver tab you can see the details, and you may have the opportunity to roll back the driver. If not, just com,e back with info about what you can see there, and the name of the driver provider and version of the driver.
Excellent, thank you smokie, that's done it.
I owe you a pint.

Any idea why it happened?
The driver was : ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics
 Screen aspect ratio - Stuartli
>>The driver was : ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics>>

I had a similar problem after a recent Windows 10 update screwing up an AMD 4200 Radeon's configuration - in the end solved by downloading the last listed legacy driver for the card, along with the missing Catalyst Control Centre.

The only driver I was able to download from Windows Update after the Win10 update was a default display driver, version 8.970.100.9001, which gave the same very limited resolution etc settings as you had...:-(

See:

community.amd.com/thread/184663 (see 1.53pm comment)

community.amd.com/thread/203611 (re the default driver).

if you ever need the information again.

I had to keep resetting the Radeon card's overscan resolution to 1920x1200 (?) for a while until it eventually "stuck".
Last edited by: Stuartli on Fri 24 Nov 17 at 13:52
Latest Forum Posts