Computer Related > IPhone 4S backup Computing Issues
Thread Author: MD Replies: 30

IPhone 4S backup - MD
It will not back up to ICloud. It runs through the backup until the last minute or so and then declares "The last backup could not be completed". Any ideas anyone please?
 IPhone 4S backup - Stuartli
Try GCloud for iOS. I use GCloud (along with the Google equivalent) to back up my Android HTC phone - it does exactly what it says on the tin and is very easy to set up and configure:

gcloud.zoolz.com/
Last edited by: Stuartli on Sun 3 Dec 17 at 13:53
 IPhone 4S backup - VxFan
Have you tried soft resetting the iPhone?

press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons simultaneously for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. You can let go of both buttons after the Apple logo appears. Your phone will go through the usual process of starting up.

Generally fixes a multitude of sins when something goes wrong with iPhones.
 IPhone 4S backup - Zero
4S is obsolete.
 IPhone 4S backup - MD
Incorrect as often. Build quality second to none. I have just purr chased an SE. Speed wonderful camera reaction time wonderful. Build quality! Well it’s plastic Shi.
 IPhone 4S backup - Zero
>> Incorrect as often.

I'll not take rebukes from a bloke who gets bemused by an on off switch.
 IPhone 4S backup - rtj70
>> Incorrect as often. Build quality second to none.

What's build quality got to do with being obsolescent? Clearly you thought it obsolete because you're replacing it with an iPhone SE.

In computing/technology terms, the 4S is ancient - it was first available in October 2011 with only a 32-bit dual core ARM Cortex-A9 processor running at 800MHz with 512MB RAM. I can't run the latest iOS nor the latest apps (64-bit). But then iOS11 only supports 64-bit processors and apps.

I'd say the SE is already obsolete too :-)
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 3 Dec 17 at 22:06
 IPhone 4S backup - No FM2R
>>Any ideas anyone please?

Yes, Apples are an a*** to fix when they decide not to work.

See this link to see if something helps.

osxdaily.com/2015/11/14/fix-last-backup-could-not-be-completed-icloud-ios-error/

Frankly though I think you need to decide how important it is to you., because it could occupy a lot of your life.

Has it ever worked? If so, how long ago did it last work, and what have you changed that might have caused it to stop?
 IPhone 4S backup - rtj70
You mention back and later an iPhone SE. Is your plan to migrate your content from the 4S to SE? Or is this just a regular backup you are taking?

If you are have you tried using iTunes to do the backup/restore of data?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 3 Dec 17 at 22:45
 IPhone 4S backup - rtj70
>> You mention back

I should re-read what I type. I of course meant backup.
 IPhone 4S backup - MD
I have now. Big issue here is internet speed. We are at the line end with a family of business people (farmers) and three Daughters next door but one. When the girls get up and start phone fiddling we may as well write a letter as opposed to trying to email someone!

However. The 4s wouldn’t move it’s content To iTunes as iTunes needed updating. This has now been done remotely by a colleague and it took the best part of FIVE hours.

Stuff now moved onto 128gb SE, mostly smooth, but some issues with Apple not accepting my password. Phone updating has never been smooth, well not for me anyway.

As an aside the SE us a pile of plastic crap against the 4s. Finger touching the SE through a Lifeproof FRE case doesn’t work nearly as well as the same set up on the 4s. AND Fat Fingered Fred here has broken the waterproof, dust proof, bomb proof cover on the new case. They retail at around £70.00. Thank heavens I ‘nicked’ it off the bay at a shade over a tenner.!!
 IPhone 4S backup - rtj70
>> Fat Fingered Fred here has broken the waterproof, dust proof, bomb proof cover on the new
>> case. They retail at around £70.00. Thank heavens I ‘nicked’ it off the bay at a shade over a
>> tenner.!!

Maybe the £70 ones are genuine and your £10 version is a poor quality rip off?

I didn't think the current iPhone SE looked particularly plasticky. It looks like earlier iPhone models, i.e. a re-worked iPhone 5/5S but with internals from the 6.

www.apple.com/uk/iphone-se/

iPhone SE takes an incredibly popular design and refines it even further. Crafted from bead-blasted aluminium for a satin-like finish, this light and compact phone is designed to fit comfortably in your hand. A brilliant 4-inch1 Retina display makes everything look vibrant and sharp. And matt-chamfered edges and a colour-matched stainless steel logo finish the look.

Maybe the problem is the case you've put it in - how does it work outside of the case? If it works okay then it's the case that's the problem and you can't blame Apple for that.
 IPhone 4S backup - MD
The phone is certainly not of the same physical quality as the 4 and 4s. I have both. I bought it for the camera as it reacts instantly upon opening. Something I need.

The lifeproofFRE case on my 4s is fantastic and has been and is faultless.

The Lifeproof FRE SE case (Genuine article) is also fine but with reservations. The hinged cover for the charging port is of a noticeable lower quality than the 4 version.

The mute slider doesn’t work with this phone.

I went onto Amazon just now to get another purely for the excellent protection afforded to the 4s. Reading the reviews I don’t think I’ll bother. Lots of tak of the hinged cover coming adrift in short order.

Now. I need a decent alternative. DUST is the enemy in my business, rarely water, although rain/splash protection would be an advantage. All info and thoughts gratefully received.
 IPhone 4S backup - VxFan
>> The mute slider doesn’t work with this phone.

Then it's faulty, or you need to restart the phone, which as I said earlier generally solves the majority of problems.
 IPhone 4S backup - rtj70
>> Big issue here is internet speed.

So stop using iCloud.
 IPhone 4S backup - VxFan
>> As an aside the SE us a pile of plastic crap against the 4s.

That surprises me. Having gone from an iPhone 4 (no, not an s, but the next one down) to an iPhone SE in April 2016, I can't see any difference in quality between the 4 and the SE.

I certainly wouldn't describe it as plastic, nor crap. The SE screen is still made from the same glass the 4 and 4S were made of. The only difference that I can see is that the 4 / 4s had a stronger edging, stainless steel IIRC, and the SE is made from aluminium.
 IPhone 4S backup - Duncan
>> Finger
>> touching the SE through a Lifeproof FRE case doesn’t work nearly as well as the
>> same set up on the 4s. AND Fat Fingered Fred here has broken the waterproof,
>> dust proof, bomb proof cover on the new case. They retail at around £70.00.
>>

I recommend

tinyurl.com/ycylc32k

When I bought mine they were a lot cheaper that, so I bought two cases. One black one, one white one.
 IPhone 4S backup - MD
Tell me a little more about this case please Duncan.
What can I say? It's all there in the link. I think I paid about £1.50 for mine. I have had them for about a year and it just does what it says on the tin.

If you would like to ask a specific question?

Edit

I paid £1.99.
Last edited by: Duncan on Mon 4 Dec 17 at 06:58
 IPhone 4S backup - MD
Dust protection standard?
>> Dust protection standard?
>>

Dunno.

Wossat?

Is this a wind up? It was £1.99, fer crisssake!
 IPhone 4S backup - MD
>> >> Dust protection standard?
>> >>
>>
>> Dunno.
>>
>> Wossat?
>>
>> Is this a wind up? It was £1.99, fer crisssake!
>>
Well if ya can't be bothered Dunkers perhaps you shouldn't have bothered linking it and saying I recommend. Fitted to a door about mid way up. Not a handle.
 IPhone 4S backup - Zero
You could of course buy a modern phone, you know one that is built to be waterproof and dustproof rather than upgrade(????) to an obsolete phone* that requires an impractical security safe round it.

And its not nice to call Duncan an escutcheon.

*(you'll be on here in a month whining about the apple IOS upgrade that has crippled your phone)

Or perhaps you were calling Duncan a fingerplate?
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 4 Dec 17 at 21:05
 IPhone 4S backup - MD
You Sir, are unhinged.
 IPhone 4S backup - rtj70
You are a candidate, being a builder, for a rugged phone. So why buy a cheap phone and stick it in a cheap rip-off fake version of a £70 case and complain.

You can get waterproof and dustproof phones although some are expensive high end phones. Some are just built to be tough... this one has thermal imaging:

www.clove.co.uk/cat-s60
 IPhone 4S backup - MD
I want iOS not android. The 4s in the Lifeproof fre case is working fine, but the camera is slow on acquisition. I am very careful with the phone as I am with all of my tools and equipment so fragility as you may be suggesting is not an issue. What is an issue is the inability of the lifeproof case to perform correctly.

Someone mentioned that the SE was not plastic. I haven’t checked the weight details, but I can assure you the 4s in a fair bit heavier than the SE and of course the 4 is smaller.
 IPhone 4S backup - VxFan
>> Someone mentioned that the SE was not plastic. I haven’t checked the weight details, but
>> I can assure you the 4s in a fair bit heavier than the SE and
>> of course the 4 is smaller.

As already explained, but apparently ignored (just like my other suggestions to fix things):-

The 4 & 4S sides are made of stainless steel.

The 5, 5S, & SE sides are made of aluminium.

That is why the 4 & 4S is heavier.
 IPhone 4S backup - MD
What berk scowled that? It’s humour. Get a life.
 IPhone 4S backup - rtj70
>> What is an issue is the inability of the lifeproof case to perform correctly.

Maybe you should have bought a decent case rather than a knock off for £10 on eBay.
No Martin, its not. Its like a wallet which will protect the phone against scratching and impact, but it won't keep s*** out.
What about an Otterbox? I've never used one myself but I keep hearing good things...

www.amazon.co.uk/Otterbox-Defender-Protection-Apple-iPhone-Black/dp/B00F3SIW18
Latest Forum Posts