Computer Related > Android to smart TV Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 3

Android to smart TV - Rudedog
I want to show my home video taken on my Android phone on to my smart TV.

When I had my previous phone I just connected through my home network just by tapping an icon on the video file.

How do you do it on Android?

I can see an icon in the corner of the video called Cast but no devices show up.

Do I need a separate app? If so any recommendations?
 Android to smart TV - rtj70
Cast is referring to 'casting' to a device like Google Chrome. It's related to Miracast.

Knowing what phone make/model you have and TV make/model would be helpful. Android isn't enough info to suggest anything at all.

And what was the video player app that you're using too.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 4 Dec 17 at 00:48
 Android to smart TV - Rudedog
Phone = Blackberry Keyone
OS = Android 7.1.1
TV = Sony Bravia (about 3 years old).

With my older BB10 phone I could find my wifi TV on the home network and then just play the video in the BB video player and a second later it would start on the TV.

In the Google photo app that comes with this phone there is a Cast icon in the corner of each video/photo, when you touch it shows one of our TVs but not the one in front of me.

There doesn't seem to be a way of adding a new device (TV) to the list or editing it.

When I've looked on Google Play there seem to be loads of apps linked to using Cast that seem to allow you to broadcast your photos/video to devices on the home network.

Do I need one of those to just play home video from my phone?

Seems my old BB10 phone made it very easy with no extra apps or cost.

The video files are just copies of the older ones on my old phone.
 Android to smart TV - rtj70
>> With my older BB10

But Blackberry 10 was a QNX based operating system that happened to have an Android compatible runtime to allow you to run Android apps.

The Blackberry Keyone is an Android phone made (probably by) Chinese firm TCL Corporation. It runs a different OS and apps so don't compare to your old BB10 for functionality. It's like saying my Ferrari would do 200mph but now my replacement Punto does not.

You seem to be hoping this being a BlackBerry it works the same as a BB10... it might as well be a OnePlus 5T. You still haven't told us the actual model of TV but I am guessing it supported Miracast and the phone maybe doesn't. But you're making us guess here.

The Google app and Cast is really about Google's Chromecast device - hence cast. If you had a Chromecast then I'm sure this would solve your problem so to speak.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 4 Dec 17 at 23:37
Latest Forum Posts