Computer Related > Keeping inkjet printer switched on..... Computing Issues
Thread Author: Haywain Replies: 17

Keeping inkjet printer switched on..... - Haywain
This is a question following on from a remark in the thread about Seiko watches......

A few months ago, my wife bit on a generous Epson promotion for a printer along with high capacity cartridges; the printer is a WorkForce Pro WF-5620. It dominates the desk - I've seen smaller washing machines - and I have learned from a former Epson executive that the printer is actually intended for small businesses rather than domestic use. It is rather magnificent though, and it does a very good job of what we've asked from it.

When we switch it on or off there's a whole load of whirring and stirring and I'm just wondering ....... is it a general rule that inkjet printers should be left switched on when not in use? Should they be simply switched off at the end of the day or left on for longer?

Cheers
 Keeping inkjet printer switched on..... - Bromptonaut
We leave our printers, a Canon inkjet and a Brother Laser (mono only), both networked, on all the time. Saves faff of needing to turn them on, possibly in another room, when needed.

Previous Epson inkjet suffered clogged jets beyond about 3 years old. Never thought about whether turning it off at night etc would make a difference.
 Keeping inkjet printer switched on..... - Stuartli
I believe you may be referring to my comment about leaving my former Epson R300 switched on permanently - I did it because it not only prevented unnecessary head cleaning etc of its six cartridges whenever it ws switched on previously, but also stopped the print head becoming clogged up...:-)

On the other hand, my current six cartridges Canon MG7550's manual advises to use it at least once a month to prevent the heads clogging up, although I must confess I've never suffered this problem with it. But it does go through a long starting up process when switched on.....:-(

I may start to leave it permanently ready to perform.......
Last edited by: Stuartli on Tue 5 Dec 17 at 21:28
 Keeping inkjet printer switched on..... - bathtub tom
I use a printer only very occasionally. My last one (an Epsom) had a built in program that switched it off after a fixed number of prints. I found on the interweb a solution that required flushing the 'tampon' and re-setting the counter. The 'tampon' was used to absorb the ink that was used at every switch on and off.
I've given up colour printing with my current Canon printer, as I use it so infrequently. I've found I can re-fill the black ink cartridge with a bottle of black ink bought cheaply off the interweb, although I will doubtlessly have to buy a new ink cartridge sometime in the future.
 Keeping inkjet printer switched on..... - smokie
I've got a reasonably modern wireless printer/scanner (Epson Expression 850). Hardly ever print anything but I do scan a document or two most days ( - I'm trying to do away with filing cabinets full of letters and statements by storing stuff electronically!!).

I'd leave it on all the time except it seems pointless using standby power (however little that is) when I will never ever use it when I'm asleep, so I put one of those cheap timer plugs on it and it goes off overnight.

Not sure whether that is good or bad for it though.

Keeping inkjet printer switched on..... - Roger.
I have an HP 3630 networked printer. It stays on as I subscribe to the HP Instant Ink service at its lowest level of £1.99 per month. The printer needs to be able to send its ink levels back to HP, so that new cartridges can be sent when appropriate.
I've paid 8 lots of £1.99 so far, with no need for a re-supply.
IIRC, that a set of genuine ink cartridges are, at best, £26 or so. I reckon I bought at least one and sometimes more, sets a year, I think it, for me, is an OK deal.
 Keeping inkjet printer switched on..... - No FM2R
>>Is it a general rule that inkjet printers should be left switched on when not in use? Should they be simply switched off at the end of the day or left on for longer?

I don't think it makes a blind bit of difference either way.
 Keeping inkjet printer switched on..... - Zero
As mine is a WiFi attached one it never gets turned off, but it does go into a hibernation state with the WiFi just monitoring
 Keeping inkjet printer switched on..... - R.P.
Dreadful (and no doubt expensive) HP Printer in work. Hideously moody and workshy. You turn it off at your peril. Needs an ID card swipe or manual logging when the swipey thing doesn't work (often).
 Keeping inkjet printer switched on..... - Bromptonaut
>> Dreadful (and no doubt expensive) HP Printer in work. Hideously moody and workshy.

We have one like that at One Stop Shop where we co-locate with Council so as to (allegedly) allow quick referrals either way.

Still, it's better than rural outreach I've done for last 6 months with NO print or scan facility.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 8 Dec 17 at 22:46
 Keeping inkjet printer switched on..... - R.P.
This is a Police printer linked to their network, but through the marvels of modern networking it works from the VS desktop which we access via a Police logon then through a Citrix link to the VS servers via a virtual desktop, small wonder that the thing doesn't work reliably you'd think. But it's just as bad from the Police network. In fairness their IT superb is pretty good and some bloke in an anorak come sin once a month to hit it with a hammer.
 Keeping inkjet printer switched on..... - Hard Cheese
Mine is WiFi though can still be turned off ...
 Keeping inkjet printer switched on..... - Haywain
"As mine is a WiFi attached one it never gets turned off, but it does go into a hibernation state with the WiFi just monitoring"

The Epson is like that, going into a state of 'hibernation' with just a small blue light indicating that it is still alive. There is also an on/off button. ISTR that it got its knickers in a twist once, and the only way that I could bring it to its senses was by switching it off at the mains.
 Keeping inkjet printer switched on..... - bathtub tom
>>the only way that I
>> could bring it to its senses was by switching it off at the mains.

A train was recently stopped between Biggleswade and St Neots. The driver reported there was a problem with the electric supply from the overhead gantry and he was in touch with technical services. The emergency lighting was on. After a while the lights dimmed briefly and then full lighting was restored. The train started moving.

A voice was heard "switch it off and switch it back on again".
 Keeping inkjet printer switched on..... - Stuartli
>>I don't think it makes a blind bit of difference either way. >>

Presumably you're quite happy to keep replacing ink cartridges then due to the head cleaning etc routine each time you switch the printer on?

I've left my inkjet printers (other than the latest Canon MG7550) permanently switched on for at least 15 years and had no problems with the printers.

But, as I've said in another thread, I'm thinking seriously about doing the same with the Canon to stop the aforementioned routine as A) it uses up a lot of ink B) it takes a long time before the printer can be used, even though C) Canon says that you only need to use the printer about once a month to prevent the print heads from blocking up....:-)
 Keeping inkjet printer switched on..... - Clk Sec
>>I don't think it makes a blind bit of difference either way.<<

>>Presumably you're quite happy to keep replacing ink cartridges then due to the head cleaning etc routine each time you switch the printer on?<<

>>even though C) Canon says that you only need to use the printer about once a month to prevent the print heads from blocking up.....:-)<<

I always switch my Canon MG3150 printer off when I've finished printing as it's only used about once or twice a week. No problems so far, and my last set of ink jets did me for just over two years.

It does perform quite a song and dance before it's ready to print, though.
 Keeping inkjet printer switched on..... - VxFan
I can't remember the last time I turned my Epson SX425W on. IIRC it's still on it's original colour cartridges and has had one new black cartridge in all the time I've owned it.

Most stuff I print out at work.
 Keeping inkjet printer switched on..... - smokie
What's work? :-)
Latest Forum Posts