Computer Related > Router Query Computing Issues
Thread Author: Fullchat Replies: 7

Router Query - Fullchat
My daughter is studying in Munich. She is in high rise student accommodation with ethernet internet access in her room.
She is complaining about running an ethernet cable across the room to her bed and would like , if possible, to install wireless router.
My query is - is this feasible? I know on a home system the ADSL Router/Modem plugs into the telephone socket and then the router then distributes either ethernet on RJ45 plugs or wireless.
What I see is an issue is that a standard router does not have incoming signal on RJ45 ethernet cable which is what she has. Any advice? Can this be overcome?
 Router Query - Zero
Yes, it's easy and simple simple. Your keywords here are " WiFi access point" or "range extender"

You plug in an rj45 with internet access, power it up, and it provides a WiFi point

Lots to choose from in all the usual places
 Router Query - rtj70
Routers aimed at customers on cable broadband networks (and the original/initial customers of BT Infinity) had a modem that would have a router one could describe as a cable router.

On a "true cable router" there is an RJ45 Ethernet connection for the Internet side (plugs into the cable modem or for BT Infinity the VDSL modem) and then multiple RJ45 Ethernet ports and WiFi on the internal network.

The original BT Homehub they used for Infinity had one of the Internal ports used for the Internet connection to the modem.

You might know some people with spares. I've got my BT one and a Linksys WRT of some sort. There will be some cheap routers described as travel routers that you plug into the Ethernet port in say your hotel room and then get a WiFi hotspot.

Some are versatile and work in multiple modes, eg. (links to a router on Amazon).

goo.gl/tMZbD1
 Reconfigure old router as Access Point - sherlock47
You can reconfigure many old spare routers as access points and provide wireless access point features. Google the obvious phrase from the title + whatever model you have spare.

The point to remember is you connect via a standard RJ45 port not the the network RJ45 port.

I currently use a HH5 + HH3 and a TP Link in this configuration. To give good house garage coverage. You can set the SSID/password to the same, but I believe this can give problems across mixed manufacturers kit. It also makes fault finding more difficult.

A typical source is
unixetc.co.uk/2014/03/04/reuse-a-spare-bt-home-hub-as-a-wireless-access-point/

seems well written and comprehensive.
 Reconfigure old router as Access Point - Hard Cheese
I set up a wireless access point in our son's halls when he was at uni, all he had was an ethernet port in his room. Can't find the one though Google "TP-LINK TL-WA801ND", £22 on Amazon, that should do the job.
 Router Query - tyrednemotional
If she is in Munich, you will possibly want to source something locally to get the correct plug, though, of course, a socket adapter would suffice.

As a solution can potentially be very cheap, I don't think I'd bother configuring an old router as an access point. Confirming Z's advice, I'd be looking at something akin to this:

tinyurl.com/lantowifi

used in "access point" mode, and a small, cheap, neat solution.
 Router Query - smokie
There is a retail chain throughout Germany called MediaMarkt who seemed pretty good when I needed a mobile phone. Not really sure if they do routers but I'd be surprised if they didn't. Bit like Currys and PC World all rolled into one. The phone was certainly a good price. www.mediamarkt.com/
Last edited by: smokie on Sun 10 Dec 17 at 11:20
 Router Query - Roger.
They are in Spain, too. Not particularly cheap, we found.
Latest Forum Posts