Computer Related > Cheap fibre broadband. Vodafone 38. Computing Issues
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 1

Cheap fibre broadband. Vodafone 38. - Roger.
Carrying on from the original posts in Bargains thread, Volume 23, I've now had my Vodafone38 service since the 28th. November.
The changeover went fine, as all I had to do was to unplug my BT router and, using the existing cables, plug in the Vodafone one.
I've had to contact Vodafone by web chat three times, once to re set-up my account as they kept on sending security log-in numbers to my landline, not my mobile.
The next time was to complain about slow download speeds, and help was given on accessing the router's configuration (I could do that myself, anyway) but would not have known how to set up dual band, with 2 SSIDs, on both the 2.4 and 5Ghz frequencies.The agent was helpful, but speeds remained slow, with downloads varying from 15/20 to 6/10Mbps depending on daytime or evening use.
My third chat was a couple of days ago, with the results of tests from speedtest (dot) net, and Which? speedtester, using an ethernet cable to my laptop and Chrome, Firefox and MS Edge.
This time I politely suggested their contention ratio was poor, as evening downloads were markedly slower. The agent was helpful and while I waited, ran a line test, which was OK. She then raised a support ticket saying they would try and correct the service remotely and if that did not work, an engineer would call.
I enquired if, as they do with their mobile network, offer a 30 day satisfaction period, with a no penalty get out of contract, if dissatisfied. They do!
That gentle hint seems, so far, to have worked as my download are now running in the mid to high 20s Mbps, done this evening (After Strictly was off, not that I watch it). Given it's "up to" 38Mbs, that is acceptable in my view.
I was impressed the the web chat service, which unlike many in India, was staffed by folk who were literate in English and helpful, too
 Cheap fibre broadband. Vodafone 38. - Hard Cheese
I have four mobiles on contract with Vodafone and find them to be good. Our broadband is with Plusnet however who have also been good over 13 years.

Re the download speeds, if you were with BT before you should notice little difference once the router has settled down as Vodafone's service uses the same network.
Latest Forum Posts