Computer Related > Spycam needs wi-fi? Computing Issues
Thread Author: Focal Point Replies: 20

Spycam needs wi-fi? - Focal Point
I'm hoping the experts here can advise over a somewhat delicate family situation.

My wife's mother and aunt are elderly and suffer from fairly advanced dementia. They just about manage on their own, with daily visits from various people. (They really should be in a home, but at present are absolutely refusing this option.)

A man has taken to visiting them. He scarpered fastish when someone called the other day. We suspect he's after money, and jewellery has disappeared, though the old ladies' confusion could easily mean they have hidden, or lost the said items.

My brother- and sister-in-law are the main carers and are wondering if they can install a spycam which can monitor the home in real time. They live about a mile from the old ladies' flat.

Here's the question: does the spycam need wi-fi in the flat, or is there such a thing as a camera that can transmit a signal that can monitored without - e.g. with a mobile phone?

I suspect wi-fi is required, but I hope someone can confirm. Is it necessary also to have a computer in the flat, for the camera to talk to?

In addition, please add any bright ideas you have - a bit of lateral thinking here might be good.

As ever, my thanks in advance.
 Spycam needs wi-fi? - No FM2R
You need to connect the camera to something. Typically this means that it must have WiFi or a wired LAN. The are GSM/ SIM capable cameras, I know little about them other than the fact that they are available. On EBay as "GSM camera".

You can plug some camera's straight into the internet via a router, but then you will lose any review capability. On eBay as "IP Cameras". I find that recording or reviewing recordings is a PITA

For about £100 - £200 you can get a networkable DVR with 4 wired cameras. You can get wireless cameras for a little more.

e.g. (there's cheaper, this is just the first link I saw)

www.maplin.co.uk/p/swann-4-channel-1tb-cctv-kit-with-2-cameras-a70wg

That DVR connects to the internet via a router, and can be monitored from your mobile or another computer.

The DVR also records, so that you can review at a later date.

It is difficult to make them invisible so it depends whether you are looking for a deterrent (in which case visibility doesn't matter) or you are looking to detect after the event (unwise and mostly unsuccessful, they don't make great court acceptable evidence).

Of course you have to consider the thief stealing the DVR, but of course it can be locked in a cupboard.

My feeling is that visible deterrent is the way to go. Hidden cameras don't stop stuff happening.

A camera at the entrance way, in the living room, and in the bedroom will stop most people, there's simply easier targets.

Oh, and don't discount the value of this type of stuff....

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dummy-Camera-CCTV-Security-Surveillance-Dome-Cam-Fake-IR-LED-Light-Outdoor-UK/282768066882?epid=4011197711&hash=item41d64a4942:m:mjOKtSUWO9aDUN4y7aSWOhQ
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 12 Dec 17 at 21:45
 Spycam needs wi-fi? - VxFan
>> and in the bedroom

Another thing to consider is would the in-laws be happy with you or other family members (possibly hackers as well) potentially seeing them in the nude, or even just invading any privacy in general?

I would imagine you would have to get some kind of consent first as it's someone else's house you're monitoring.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 13 Dec 17 at 01:56
 Spycam needs wi-fi? - rtj70
Who mentioned bedrooms?

Although you're right to highlight consent and the fact someone could be in a state of undress anywhere in the house... We are talking dementia here.
 Spycam needs wi-fi? - VxFan
>> Who mentioned bedrooms?

One of Mark's suggestions of where to put a camera.

"A camera at the entrance way, in the living room, and in the bedroom will stop most people, there's simply easier targets."
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 13 Dec 17 at 08:31
 Spycam needs wi-fi? - devonite
Why not just put up a discreet sign that he will spot, that says something like " CCTV installed" He doesn't know it isn't, but it may make him uneasy enough to deter him!
>>Another thing to consider is would the in-laws be happy with you or other family members (possibly hackers as well) potentially seeing them in the nude, or even just invading any privacy in general?

Well, I wouldn't worry about the hackers, but certainly the subject of privacy is important and difficult. Typically bedrooms is where ladies of a certain age keep their jewelry.

I quite like the idea of dummy cameras myself.
 Spycam needs wi-fi? - Zero
why not just wait for him to turn up then have a "word*" in his shell like?

*Something like. "if you don't F off, permanently I am going to rip off your head and sh down your neck"
 Spycam needs wi-fi? - Haywain
"dummy cameras"

Potential scene featuring elderly ladies with dementia and unwanted visitor .......

Unwanted visitor: Ah - I see that you have a camera to deter burglars.

Elderly lady with dementia: Yes - but it's not real, you know.
 Spycam needs wi-fi? - Zero
>> "dummy cameras"
>>
>> Potential scene featuring elderly ladies with dementia and unwanted visitor .......
>>
>> Unwanted visitor: Ah - I see that you have a camera to deter burglars.
>>
>> Elderly lady with dementia: Yes - but it's not real, you know. "whats a camera?"
 Spycam needs wi-fi? - Pat
FP, this may be a silly suggestion but I've been thinking this one over and I think it may work.

Have you considered a wildlife cam?

bushnell.eu/uk/produits/all/trail-cameras/

It runs on batteries, doesn't need wifi or an internet connection and can be set to record video.

They are discreet and the SD card can be removed and viewed at any time.

We have three in and around the garden of this make and I can certainly recommend them.

Pat
 Spycam needs wi-fi? - smokie
I suppose you need to consider what the plan is if you do catch some incriminating footage. I'm not sure the police would accept it as evidence, and you may not want to confront the individual.

You could also consider moving some of the higher value stuff (either monetary or sentimental) out of the house, to take away any incentive, with or without their knowledge. Sounds like the poor old dears may not even notice it's missing, and if they did you could explain why. (I'm thinking smaller stuff like jewellery or cash, which is likely to be the targetted stuff anyway)
Many thanks for the responses.

We need a live camera, I think, because my sister- and brother-in-law would want to check in real time about what is happening and would not want to have to keep removing an SD card to review hours of recording. Whether recording is actually necessary I'm not sure, but presumably if there is evidence of theft it might be useful.

Regarding NoFM's suggestion about the deterrent value of a highly visible device, the problem here is that my wife's aunt has a habit of trying to switch off or unplug anything she thinks is electrical. So the device is best kept hidden.

One problem with people with fairly advanced dementia is that you cannot get any reliable information from them; they either forget something as soon as it's happened, or they lie - because they have lost any concept of "fact" or "reality" and because they can, in spite of everything, sense when someone is checking up on them by asking questions, and (paranoia being a common aspect of dementia) go on the defensive.

Most valuable things have been removed from the flat and the old ladies' access to cash is pretty limited. However, they do sometimes notice when things have been changed and can get obsessive about it.

It's more the worry that they are opening the front door to all and sundry, and also that they are preyed upon by door-to-door people who try to get them to sign up for things. I think the idea would be to position a camera to show the front door from the inside and possibly a second in the lounge.

We know there may be privacy issues, but we feel there is a need to protect people who are vulnerable and the old ladies are not going to make a fuss about it, provided they don't know what is happening - they won't understand, anyway.

It looks as if my brother-in-law will have to install a router (that in itself will cause problems, as explained above).
Last edited by: Focal Point on Thu 14 Dec 17 at 18:30
 Spycam needs wi-fi? - rtj70
What about turning an old smartphone into a remote camera so using 3G/4G to transfer data.

There's apps for Android that do this for sure.
 Spycam needs wi-fi? - smokie
Not sure I see how this helps that much, unless someone going to monitor the camera all the time ready to spring into action should a "person of interest" appear.

But on that topic I'm sure you could fairly easily rig up an alarm to alert when the front door is opened - there is loads of home automation stuff around these days. Do they go out a lot?
"Do they go out a lot?"

Every weekday they are fetched by staff from the day centre around 9:30 and return around 4:00.
 Spycam needs wi-fi? - sooty123
>> Not sure I see how this helps that much, unless someone going to monitor the
>> camera all the time ready to spring into action should a "person of interest" appear.
>

that was my thought. At least recording might give you a clue as to why something happened. I do accept that it could be a pita viewing lots of footage.
 Spycam needs wi-fi? - zippy
If you need a mobile router how about one of these:

www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/phones-broadband-and-sat-nav/broadband/mobile-broadband/4gee-mini-pay-monthly-mobile-wifi-10146703-pdt.html

They use a mobile sim so can be expensive to run but for a potable solution in a pinch.....
 Spycam needs wi-fi? - Lemma
On a different, related but fundamental matter has any friend or relative obtained power of attorney? This would make things easier as the attorney can act in the interests of the person concerned. This really is the first step in securing the safety and interests of the person you care about.

I was advised to do this by my mother’s family doctor who really spoke from the heart, related to his personal situation. I can only reiterate that this was excellent advice with respect to my mother. I had to deal with a similar situation to that discussed above. With POA this gives real clout. I had to deal with an “old friend” of my mother’s who used to borrow things but “forgot” to give them back. Items were returned and advice to stay away, backed with the knowledge that this could be reinforced, worked well with a polite but very firm approach. An old lady is a pushover but an angry, committed and determined approach delivers in my experience. This one time regular but latterly unwelcome visitor and his wife now maintain a distance, have moderated their behaviour and I know that they know what the unwritten rules are.

OK not an immediate response to the circumstances but a very positive step on the way. This sort of thing really upsets me as my old mum is a vulnerable person and I hate to think of others being taken advantage of.
Power of attorney.

Yes, indeed. This is being investigated as we speak.

I did not mention (for fear of overly complicating matters) that this situation is playing out in Poland. There are some legal differences from the UK. The aunt in question has no close relatives apart from her sister (my wife's mother), with whom she lives. She never married. Both the sisters have dementia.

Power of attorney in the hands of my wife's sister seems achievable with my mother-in-law. With the aunt, if her niece (my wife's sister) takes power of attorney, the state will take a controlling role and, at death, the aunt's remaining estate will pass to the Polish government. That is what I've been told. (How this relates to a will I don't know, but there is no will and no chance of doing one now.)

Added to this, the two sisters have a close bond and there is no question of them being homed separately, for example, which might be an issue if control of their finances were subjected to different constraints.

I take on board what Lemma is saying about warning off undesirable characters. The unwelcome visitor was discovered when the two carers from the day centre turned up one morning to collect the elderly sisters. He rushed off as fast as he could, but not before one of the carers had the presence of mind to take a photo of him with her phone.

Maybe he's gone for good, but the incident has understandably worried my sister- and brother-in-law.
Last edited by: Focal Point on Thu 14 Dec 17 at 22:06
I take Focal's point about the aunt attacking anything visible. The issue with this is that without visibility there is no deterrent so one is doing nothing to lessen the likelihood of a crime.

The only thing on can achieve, at best, is being able to find the person afterwards. The problem is that unless you spend a great deal of money home security cameras simply do not work as evidence. And in any case the jewelry will be long gone. Perhaps one can recover some of the financial value, but the chances are one will never recover the actually jewelry lost.

Of course if one is not concerned with the jewelry at all and simply wants to keep an eye on them, then you'll have top spend a lot of time staring at the screen, however you do it.

Equally I'd point out that the aunt would spend many an hour completely failing to unplug a dummy camera.
Latest Forum Posts