Computer Related > Internet Security Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Clk Sec Replies: 12

Internet Security - Clk Sec
Owing to some problems I'm having with the security suite provided by our current ISP, I would very much like to look at installing something different.

Rattle mentioned a free one a long while back and it worked well, but I can't recall which one it was.

Can anyone recommend an alternative, please?

Internet Security - Pat
It was Microsoft Security Essentials that Rattle used to recommend CC.

Pat
 Internet Security - Bromptonaut
>> It was Microsoft Security Essentials that Rattle used to recommend CC.
>>
>> Pat

Windows Defender, which I think was MSE's successor, works for me.
 Internet Security - Focal Point
I use Avast, with occasional scans from Defender, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, HitmanPro and Sophos.

I also use a VPN, delete all cookies and browsing history etc., and back up all data every day.

Paranoid? You bet.
Last edited by: Focal Point on Tue 19 Dec 17 at 18:26
 Internet Security - No FM2R
Subjective of course.

I find that Avast slows stuff down.

Defender runs frequently and automatically, not sure it has ever found anything on a scan though it has blocked the occasional thing in real time.

Malwarebytes I do have in case. I've been know to run the odd Panda Scan. rarely do either find anything of note.

Can't be a***d to run any more.

Don't use a VPN, don't give a flying crap who knows my browsing history and couldn't care less one way or the other about cookies.

Back up *all* data once a year or so, back up more selectively more frequently, usually just keep a shadow copy of anything current that matters in the Cloud.

Truthfully what do I have? Project work? Well once they're consigned to the cloud on completion that's done.

Photos and videos, they only ever increase, they don't change. So cloud copies are fine.

EMail is stored online, who needs a local copy? Saving emails is a massively overrated exercise anyway.

No doubt Armageddon will strike any day now, but is not like it's the end of the world or anything.

Paranoid? Can't be a***d.
 Internet Security - Hard Cheese
I've used Kaspersky IS for a few years, five licences free by way of banking with Barclays. Though Barclays have dropped Kaspersky recently due to apparent concerns over Russian companies controlling UK infrastructure, unfounded I reckon though I'll have see what Barclays offer instead, if anything, or buy my own.
 Internet Security - rtj70
>> apparent concerns over Russian companies controlling UK infrastructure

More like access to your PC. I could have Kaspersky for free being a customer of Barclays. I would not install that on my home computers.
 Internet Security - devonite
Avast, Malwarebytes, Ccleaner and Spybot S/D for me, - can't remember the last time I suffered an infection! (all free versions). (and S/D Antibeacon, to stop windows 10 spying!)
 Internet Security - Zero
The one provided in Windows 10 is all you need the rest is just pure paranoia
I tend to agree re Windows 10 ...
>> I could have Kaspersky for free being a customer of Barclays. >>

Not now you can't.

>> I would not install that on my home computers.
>>

Kaspersky are now a multinational business with Russian origins and HQ, I really cant see how they would risk their reputation by spying on home PC uses through there software, and if they were doing it then the organisations that evaluate AV and IS software would have already found it ...

Barclays are reacting to a broader risk, that of Russian based hackers and perhaps a little unfairly wrapping Kaspersky up in that. Though they have said that they believe that to use Kaspersky is quite safe, it's more of a PR move for them in dropping the Russian link.
 Internet Security - Clk Sec
I've downloaded a couple from the suggestions above.

Many thanks.

Clk Sec
 Internet Security - Ambo
I use MSE and the free version of Malwarebytes. (The latter is hard to access: "free" may turn out to mean "free trial" if some slight error is made in attempting.)

An advert at the foot of this page as I write gives a link to "Best Free Antivirus 2018" and Total AV comes top with a 98% rating.

I also use Ccleaner to get rid of the history of recently created links. I use it on the assumption that, if they are lying around in my computer, they could be harbouring viruses. Is that true or just paranoia on my part?
Latest Forum Posts