Computer Related > 2 x pc - 1 monitor Computing Issues
Thread Author: devonite Replies: 18

2 x pc - 1 monitor - devonite
Mrs has just got herself her own computer - which is identical to mine, and now sits on top of it at our computer station, there is however no room for 2 monitors, so she wants her 'puter to use mine. This means I need a lead to connect 2 pc's to 1 monitor. Whilst there are thousands on Ebay to connect 1 pc to 2 monitors, there don't seem to be any of the reverse configuration! - do any exist or do i need some other gadgetry? - we don't intend to use our computers at the same time!!
 2 x pc - 1 monitor - Zero
Unless your Monitor has more then one video input, and it ppossibly has, you will need a video switch.

Now when I say it has, depending on the age, it may have two different inputs. One will be a DVI socket, and you may have an HDMI socket. If your new PC has and HDMI out, then its a simple matter of HDMI to HDMI, if it hasnt then its DVI/HDMI adaptor to HDMI.

Why you need two PC's one on top of each other is beyond me. Why didnt you just set her up a user account on the existing PC. Voila she would have her own pc.

I guess you are using two keyboards as well, you could be really smart and buy a KVM* and have one keyboard, one mouse, one screen and two PCS.

One PC and two user accounts was the way to go tho.

*Keyboard/Video/Mouse switch - does the lot.

Last edited by: Zero on Thu 11 Jan 18 at 09:29
 2 x pc - 1 monitor - sherlock47

>>>One PC and two user accounts was the way to go tho.<<<

Not if the next stage is separate beds, followed by separate houses :)
 2 x pc - 1 monitor - movilogo
This might help.

www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/how-to-connect-two-or-more-computers-to-one-monitor/

Ah! - Thanks Chaps, that kvm thingy looks the way to go! - We did share this computer, but she insists I move or delete things that she wants (I don't, she just keeps losing things, or hiding things in strange places!) and wants her own machine that I'm not allowed to touch!.
 2 x pc - 1 monitor - Pat
Ian does that in my greenhouse, that's why I've banned him:)

She has my sympathy.

Pat
 2 x pc - 1 monitor - VxFan
>> We did share this computer, but she insists I move or delete things that she wants (I
>> don't, she just keeps losing things, or hiding things in strange places!)

If you have separate accounts then you could do this without the need of having 2 PCs.

At work there is one PC where 6 different people use it. We all have our own accounts, which in turn means we all have our own preferences to what icons are on the desktop, what software we want to use, etc.

Also, a lot of the desks in the office are "hot desks" where anyone in the company can come along and log onto the PC with their own account.
>>If you have separate accounts then you could do this without the need of having 2 PCs.

Yep! - but the deed is done! - she's happy! - I suppose I could set her up with it in the spare room upstairs, but banishing her would cause more probs than installing the kvm thingy! - so I'll give thaat a go first! ;-)
 2 x pc - 1 monitor - Hard Cheese
I agree with those that say two user profiles on one PC is the way to go.

Though if you are to have two PCs then a monitor with dual inputs is the tidiest solution, many do have dual inputs, have you checked yours?
 2 x pc - 1 monitor - Duncan
Why doesn't Mrs devonite have the computer of her choice, with her own email address/account, in the room of her choice?

Whilst Mr Devonite has the device of his choice, in the room of his choice, with his own email address/account?

Would that work?
>> I agree with those that say two user profiles on one PC is the way
>> to go.
>>
>> Though if you are to have two PCs then a monitor with dual inputs is
>> the tidiest solution, many do have dual inputs, have you checked yours?
>>

Two Keyboards? Two Mice? Nah KVM is the way to go now he has been defeated.
 2 x pc - 1 monitor - smokie
But what if they both want to use the computer at the same time, like maybe to Messenger with each other? :-)
>> But what if they both want to use the computer at the same time, like
>> maybe to Messenger with each other? :-)

They only have one chair.
 2 x pc - 1 monitor - Pezzer
I sort of do what Zero says - my monitor has both a DVI connector and a VGA one rather than HDMI. The DVI is connected to the main/home computer and when I work at home with the laptop I use the VGA connection.
YEP! - Monitor has dual inputs! - kvm it is! - one chair is plenty (as long as she sticks to her allotted times!) I can live with the harmony! - got to do the rota now ;-). Think I'll use excel and mail it to her then she's no excuses!
Print out the rota and pin it to the wall next to the pc so there can be no mistakes....
 2 x pc - 1 monitor - smokie
KVM doesn't usually need 2 inputs on monitor does it? Mine never have... but they were pre-DVI/HDMI
Nah a good KVM just needs a monitor with with one input, be that VGA, DVI or HDMI, but you need to match what your KVM can handle with the input your Monitor requires.

If the monitor has two inputs I'd go with that and put up with two keyboards and mice. Wife keeps moaning that our single use keyboard is full of crisps, and covered in ketchup and coffee stains anyway.
 2 x pc - 1 monitor - Hard Cheese

>> If the monitor has two inputs I'd go with that and put up with two
>> keyboards and mice. Wife keeps moaning that our single use keyboard is full of crisps,
>> and covered in ketchup and coffee stains anyway.
>>

Did you just contradict yourself Z?
Latest Forum Posts