Computer Related > Kaspersky - is it really a threat? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Hard Cheese Replies: 7

Kaspersky - is it really a threat? - Hard Cheese
As a Barclays customer I have had free IS software for some years, at one time it was F-Secure and for the last six or seven years it has been Kaspersky. I have found it to be excellent.

Barclays have withdrawn Kaspersky suggesting it might be a security threat itself, the following is from the latest reply to my enquiries on this:

--

The UK Government has been advised by the National Cyber Security Centre to remove all Russian products from being used in sensitive systems.

This is the reason why we’ve made the decision to no longer offer Kaspersky software to new customers. For our existing customers, there is no obligation to change provider. It is important that our customers continue to protect themselves with anti-virus software. We’ll continue to take every practical measure to ensure that our customer’s personal and financial details remain as safe and secure as possible.

Unfortunately Barclays is not able to recommend a specific alternative provider at this time, however we strongly believe that it is important that you continue to protect yourself with anti-virus software.

--

Any thoughts?

They say that for existing customers there is no obligation to change provider though they are not providing FOC license renewals.

I am surprised that no one has any comments on this.

Aside from which any IS software recommendations?
 Kaspersky - is it really a threat? - smokie
I've not commented as I only use Windows Defender which I think is adequate for most stuff, and is free. But maybe Kaspersky does more.

In my mind there is a bit of unnecessary paranoia going on, with people telling me I ought not have bought a Chinese phone for SWMBO etc, and people stopping using certain brands of network hardware because they might be eavesdropped by the Chinese government.

OTOH I have recently implemented a VPN for my surfing as a) it was cheap and b) I do love a challenge. In fact I just turned my Raspberry Pi into a VPN server. I'm not mandating VPN use by all devices yet as I've not tested it enough, and I'm not sure I really need it much of the time () - there is something of a performance overhead on the Pi) but I think that day will come, as I see the ISPs almost as a greater threat (not through their own volition) than foreign governments.

I probably have the wrong end of the threat stick though...
Last edited by: smokie on Sat 13 Jan 18 at 15:07
 Kaspersky - is it really a threat? - Zero
Is Kaspersky a threat? I doubt it. Is it any good, good enough to put up with its overhead and occasional major cockups? Resounding No.

MSE is good enough, and like smokey I feel the threat is institutional and a VPN is a good idea. I have a paid VPN and my location of origin sometimes varies as required for the task at hand. Torrent sites for example,
 Kaspersky - is it really a threat? - smokie
I saved something like 12% on the cost of a hotel last weekend by being Portguese last weekend. I was looking for an all inclusive hotel in Spain and found the one I wanted. The lowest price I could find was about £690.

Started up the VPN, surfacing in Portugal, and found the same place at £610. I could probably have found the same site on my normal connection but much further down the Google results list than I'd have ever gone.
 Kaspersky - is it really a threat? - Roger.
Hmm - I've just stopped my sub to Cyberghost VPN. I torrent little these days!
>> Is Kaspersky a threat? I doubt it. Is it any good, good enough to put
>> up with its overhead and occasional major cockups? Resounding No.
>>

Kaspersky has been reliable and reassuring for a number of years and no noticeable performance impact. I'm happy to keep it, and do not believe it's a threat, though do I want to pay for it having had it free, hmm ...

I'll probably resort to MSE.
Barclays have now given me an activation code for Kaspersky IS, they are doing so for existing customers upon request though apparently not for new customers ...
Latest Forum Posts