Computer Related > Password protect USB Computing Issues
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 9

Password protect USB - Bobby
Is there an easy way of password protecting a USB stick or a portable EDD on USB?

Have googled but seem to be a load of companies wanting to sell their software!

I am looking for something that is right click, set password, save sort of thing!

Is it possible this easy?
 Password protect USB - Zero
A USB drive? no, a folder on the drive? yes

Right click on the new folder and select Add to archive. Select RAR or ZIP format and set password for the archive so that you can password protect the specific folders.

Password protect USB - Fullchat
I have a password protected USB stick provided by work. It has a 6 digit number I have to tap into the keys on the front to make it accessible. Its a bit of a faff but does what its designed to do I suppose.
We did have fingerprint swipe ones. Now they were a faff :(
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sat 3 Feb 18 at 00:20
 Password protect USB - Zero
>> I have a password protected USB stick provided by work. It has a 6 digit
>> number I have to tap into the keys on the front to make it accessible.
>> Its a bit of a faff but does what its designed to do I suppose.

It's an encrypted drive, probably using a commercial application.
 Password protect USB - Bromptonaut
>> >> I have a password protected USB stick provided by work. It has a 6
>> digit
>> >> number I have to tap into the keys on the front to make it
>> accessible.
>> >> Its a bit of a faff but does what its designed to do I
>> suppose.

We had similar in the Civil Service. After the loss of that CD with Child Benefit details there was a massive panic to encrypt everything. USB drives and CD writers on desktops were disabled. We couldn't even download stuff onto pen drives for conference presentations so we emailed them home and put them on pen drives there!!.
 Password protect USB - Fullchat
Exactly what they did to us Bromp. We have to justify and apply via Branch Head for authority to use such devices. I have the permissions which makes me the Point of Contact for colleagues who either want material to deliver away from the network or to put training material on our network.

Occasionally I go to fulfill a task and found that my access no longer works necessitating a re-application. I don't know if there is a specific time - 6months? 1 year?. They don't send any notification it just doesn't work. Which doesn't help when something is required like NOW.

IT seem to rule the roost and dictate what happens.
 Password protect USB - smokie
It was the same in the bank I last worked in. No removable devices. And many didn't have the ability to send emails outside the bank, all others only if they used a strictly monitored gateway.

Also couldn't print to anything other than authorised printers (can't think how that worked but ISTR that the printers were simply not installed on your machine, and no-one had the ability to install anything on a machine)

I got hauled up for sending myself some meeting minutes I wanted to edit at home - nothing sensitive in them at all!! But three offences and I'd have been out.
 Password protect USB - nice but dim
BitLocker To Go?

www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/secure-your-usb-drives-with-bitlocker-to-go-for-windows-7/

Password protect USB - R.P.
www.amazon.co.uk/iStorage-datAshur-256bit-secure-encrypted/dp/B015DB9G7S/ref=sr_1_20_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1517678960&sr=8-20-spons&keywords=usb+drives+1gb&psc=1
 Password protect USB - zippy
We use ones with a password that is entered in to an app once the drive loads. It's a hassle as every time the drive is inserted the app has to be run and the password entered but I suspect it is easier to use than one with a key pad, especially if you need to access it when its under a desk.
Latest Forum Posts