Computer Related > Chrome Security Computing Issues
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 13

Chrome Security - Ambo
A while back, someone commented here that he did not like Chrome because of a security problem with it. Can anyone say what the problem is, and whether there are any other drawbacks to it?
 Chrome Security - Zero
Chrome is no less secure than any other browser, and there re no other drawbacks with it.
 Chrome Security - smokie
...but it is still a bit of a memory hog if you use a lot of tabs, which I do. I'm not sure if any other browser would be better but I expect someone will let us know.

Also the Chrome folder is one of the largest in my Program Files directory at nearly 500mb but this may be unique to me. They certainly can't be such space wasters on other platforms!!
 Chrome Security - Ambo
I decided to give it a go this morning and Googled Chrome download - but it won't download from the page that came up. There is a message low left on the screen "javascrptvoid (0)" however the Java site tells me I have the latest version. How can I get round this please?
 Chrome Security - Zero
from what URL did you download from, and what browser are you using to download it
 Chrome Security - rtj70
If I go to Google and search for Chrome download on one of my Windows PCs I get this URL:

www.google.co.uk/chrome/browser/features.html?brand=CHBD&ds_kid=43700010857960492&gclid=Cj0KCQiAoY7VBRDtARIsAHWoO-I-dlW-Q84aOzPBbsqMCqO9plKeOecac7ITgOjs2U0y7XL80PWUWH4aAscREALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=COe_nunM4tkCFVPgGwodGjcORQ

And if I hover over the Download button I see the javascript.void(0) message in the bottom left the the Internet Explorer windows.

Clicking on the button then brings up a Terms of Service window for me to agree to. This PC has Chrome on it already so I won't try to install.

Does clicking on Download not work? This runs a stub-installer if I recall correctly which will then download and install Chrome for you.
 Chrome Security - Ambo
Yes, it works - but I have to go through the process you describe every time I want to use Chrome. It seems to un-install when I turn the computer off.
 Chrome Security - Ambo
The URL is www.google.com/chrome. The browser is Internet Explorer 11.
 Chrome Security - Zero
>> Yes, it works - but I have to go through the process you describe every
>> time I want to use Chrome. It seems to un-install when I turn the computer
>> off.

No it cant do. You have either not installed it, or you are not starting it when you want to use it.

What version of Windows are you using?
 Chrome Security - rtj70
So you are saying it did not create a shortcut in programs and didn't create the Chrome icon/shortcut on your desktop?

If you use Google to search for Chrome you will be show a link to a web page for installing it
 Chrome Security - Ambo
I am starting it when I want to install, via the desktop icon, it but need to reinstall it every time i.e. It does not come up as default when re-starting the computer (which has Windows 7 Home Professional). I used Google at the outset to search for Chrome.
 Chrome Security - rtj70
Have you tried looking for the Chrome executable. The default location is:

"C:Program Files (x86)GoogleChromeApplicationchrome.exe"

If you run that it should not be starting the install all over again.
 Chrome Security - Manatee
Ambo, might you be clicking on the installation file rather than the short cut? Hence running the installation program every time you click, instead of starting Chrome.

Either find the file chrome.exe* using File Explorer (or whatever it is currently called) OR find/create a short cut OR find it in the Start menu (mine is under "Google Chrome").

*this is what rtj70 means by "the executable")

chrome exe on my PC is also in C:Program Files (x86)GoogleChromeApplicationchrome.exe to give you a clue - yours might have a slightly different path.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 11 Mar 18 at 14:42
 Chrome Security - Ambo
I click on the short cut. I can't find any such exe. Oddly, I now find that the shortcut works straight away with links via Favorites while non-Favorites websites are accessible via the usual address box without re-installing - so the repeated request to re-install can simply be ignored.

I wonder if the request will stay there because I have not asked for connections to a phone and tablet as well, but I don't have either.

Latest Forum Posts