Computer Related > Windows Mail Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 8

Windows Mail - Bromptonaut
Since getting my current PC last year I've used the standard mail programme in Windows 10.

I'm fed up with stuff going randomly to the junk folder. Just found a message in there from the volunteer coordinator at work telling me tomorrow's staff meeting is weathered off. As it happens I'm doing an extra session advising in morning so will be in anyway but I'd have been well cheesed off if I'd driven in just for a non-existent meeting.

I've had mail from her before, including on another matter this morning, so I cannot work out why she's suddenly junk.

Frankly I'd be happy to do without junk folder - it's not as if I cannot delete carp.

Any idea how to switch the function off?
 Windows Mail - smokie
No, but I think sometimes it's done at your ISP. I know Virgin filters spam. You could have a look at your ISP settings and see if there is anything there.
 Windows Mail - No FM2R
Is it a Microsoft account? (Live, Outlook, Hotmail? etc. etc.)
>> Is it a Microsoft account? (Live, Outlook, Hotmail? etc. etc.)

Most is Live. Some legacy stuff still goes to my demon.co.uk domain which is commercially hosted since demon withdrew their POP3 service in 2016. Stuff that's going to junk is (I think) all on Live account.
 Windows Mail - No FM2R
Then you need to log directly on to that [those] account[s] and configure the severity of spam filtering there.

i.e. via a web browser.
 Windows Mail - smokie
Oh well, I was close :-)
>> Then you need to log directly on to that [those] account[s] and configure the severity
>> of spam filtering there.
>>
>> i.e. via a web browser.

Done that but seems no way to disable junk folder. It seems to just trap stuff at random.

Wondered on Monday why I'd not had the automated reminder of my CA volunteer shifts for week. Bit of a hiatus there atm as two senior managers have been sent home on what we're not to call suspension so thought maybe rosters were wrong/notices suspended. No, when I looked this morning the damn thing was in junk. Why is something I've had every week since November 2014 suddenly junk!!!!

Rant over.
 Windows Mail - No FM2R
I can only think of one thing;

Create a rule determining that everything addressed to you is placed in the Inbox.

However, I am not sure if the Spam tag is applied before a rule, so I am not sure if it'll work, nor am I sure how you can test it other than sucking and seeing.

Rather tediously you can, on the web interface, click on anything in your junk folder that shouldn't be and classify it as not junk. Tedious, but you will only have to do it once per sender. Maybe even only once per domain.

The Outlook filter mostly works quite well for me but inexplicably it will every now and again class something as junk for no apparent reason.

IIRC you have 10 days to find it in your junk folder before it is gone forever.
 Windows Mail - No FM2R
As to why it had a mental aberration I have no idea, but it did do the same to a friend of mine a year or so ago and because he didn't notice he lost a lot of stuff.
Latest Forum Posts