Computer Related > Broadband costs Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 22

Broadband costs - bathtub tom
I see the cost of broadband seems to be going down. I renewed my contract with Plusnet earlier this month, and it now looks like I could pay ten quid a month less for the same service. I looked into the cost of cancelling, but there's this line in my contract:
"If you decide to cancel after 14 days and are still within a 12/18/24 month minimum term, you will have to pay £10395 for each month left of the minimum term. Find out more in our Price Guide."
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 1 Mar 18 at 02:07
 Broadband costs - sooty123
Ten grand is a bit steep.
 Broadband costs - Roger.
>> Ten grand is a bit steep.
>>

LOL!
 Broadband costs - Roger.
I'm with Vodafone "up to" 38Mbps for twenty quid a month. This includes line rental, but not any calls. £8 a month buys me "anytime" UK calls.
Speedtests show a decent speed, of around 20 to 25Mbps at most times, occasionally a tad more, so I'm OK with that.
I was with BT, whose speeds were rather higher, but cost a goodly wedge more.
 Broadband costs - rtj70
I'm surprised the BT Openreach VDSL product you are still on is slower than you had before. Vodafone buy this product from BT for you.
 Broadband costs - nice but dim
You will only get a true 38Mbps from the cabinet in the street, still copper from there to the house and then Wi-Fi is slower than cable.

I get similar speeds (20Mbps) on my Talk Talk package on Wifi devices, 30ish on LAN cable devices, far better than the 1Mbps ADSL that I was getting before I switched.

£25 per month but will be going for the Vodafone deal if it is still available. I don't even have a house phone plugged in.
 Broadband costs - rtj70
I'm on the 76Mbit/s service and get around 65Mbit/s even on Wifi.

Just did a quick test on my mobile and that is currently able to reach 62Mbit/s download.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 2 Mar 18 at 09:49
 Broadband costs - smokie
I know we've been here before but I have Virgin's VIVID 150 Optical Fibre and Speedtest is reporting 175.88 Mbps on my hard wired PC and 127.12 Mbps on the phone. I rarely download many large files these days but when I'm on something slower it is really noticeable, even in normal browsing.

Dunno if it's fibre in the street but it is def copper from the street to my house.
 Broadband costs - Bromptonaut
AFAIK Virgin's network is fibre to street whether as most other offers are based on fibre only to the street cabinet. Latter is all we have here and whoever's shopfront we buy it from it's provided by BT.

The fibre/cabinet infrastructure was part funded by local government as part of rural improvement initiative. The cabinets are new with forced air ventilation etc.

We still have our landline from one provider, Talk Talk (was Tesco) and ADSL from Demon - now Vodafone. Just about decided to switch to an all in package with Plusnet. Don't really need fibre as we never stream films etc. Not sure it's worth the extra to download a pdf more quickly.
 Broadband costs - VxFan
>> I'm on the 76Mbit/s service and get around 65Mbit/s even on Wifi.

Same here. BT Infinity 2.

Since upgrading to the home hub 6, I now get around 74 meg download, and 19 meg upload. I was previously getting around 65 meg down and 19 meg up.
 Broadband costs - Roger.
>> I'm surprised the BT Openreach VDSL product you are still on is slower than you
>> had before. Vodafone buy this product from BT for you.
>>
I suspect that it's down to higher contention ratio.
 Broadband costs - bathtub tom
>>you will have to pay £10395 for each month

Finally managed to get clarification from Plusnet. Seems someone using the numeric pad mis-keyed £10.95.
 Broadband costs - Falkirk Bairn
Lucky lot talking about 30-180Mbps

No fibre in my street or exchange - infact no cabinets in the phone exchange area.
Not even copper to the house - aluminium!
5Mbps is the best we get around here with no prospect of anything better - BT supposed to
be looking at something that would give 10 but no dates.

200 yards away @ a former great aunt's house I could get 100Mbps on a different exchange. 20 years ago a fibre cable was laid in the road at the foot of my garden to supply a business park. No real competition so BT just pockets the money & spends SFA.

& we occasionally see a G4 mobile signal at the back of the house but it is weak.
 Broadband costs - Dog
>>5Mbps is the best we get around here with no prospect of anything better

Woss wrong with that then? .. I get 7Mbps which is ok for what I doos, I can have fibre but don't want it.
>>Woss wrong with that then?

When it rains more than a shower we get poor connections, dropped broadband - a 2nd class service - certain times it is 2-3Mbs

It rains quite a lot North of the Border
 Broadband reduced speed in rain - sherlock47
>>When it rains more than a shower we get poor connections, dropped broadband - a 2nd class service - certain times it is 2-3Mbs<<

Years ago I used to have problems with rain and internet speed - I always suspected a terminal box on top of the pole feeding the house as it was the only above ground point. And the problems appeared quite quickly after the rain started but lasted for sometime after cessation.

I finally discovered that if you called the line with telephone ringing (ie call but do not answer) the ringing voltage/current would breakdown the damp verdigris or corrosion that was probably in the terminal box. Internet speed restored.

Maybe worth a try.

Assuming you are not served by miles of open uninsulated wires out in the sticks. Corrosion issues are also more prevalent with old aluminium cables.
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Sat 3 Mar 18 at 12:07
 Broadband reduced speed in rain - Manatee

>> I finally discovered that if you called the line with telephone ringing (ie call
>> but do not answer) the ringing voltage/current would breakdown the damp verdigris or corrosion that
>> was probably in the terminal box. Internet speed restored.

That used to work for us too.
 Broadband costs - Dog
>>It rains quite a lot North of the Border

The rain it raineth every day in Cornwall.
 Broadband costs - Stuartli
I have 38Mbps fibre with TalkTalk - on average I get Pings of eight or nine ms, Download speeds of around 37.70Mbps and Uploads of 9.65 Mbps (maximum is 10 Mbps).

Costs me £25 a month including line rental but, if I didn't have to have a landline for broadband, I'd stick with my GiffGaff mobile phone £10 monthly Goodybag, now unlimited minutes and texts, plus 3GB of data. The data is not really that important as there are so many wi-fi hot spots these days, but can be used for Sat Nav purposes.
Since writing the above, the cost of broadband and line rental with TalkTalk has dropped to £22.50 a month. You can easily switch on-line to new, better offers with the company (they are detailed in My Account).

For those who seem happy to knock TalkTalk at every possible opportunity, this week for the third time in about 12 years I've suffered a noisy phone line which prevented me making phone calls, although the fibre broadband was fine.

TalkTalk checked my line remotely, agreed there was a problem and, next day, an OpenReach engineer turned up and sorted out the fault within less than half-an-hour.
MSE tip - Sky - £10.40 / mth done via prepaid card & voucher - this is BB & line rental
Go to Broadband unbundled site on MSE.
>>Go to Broadband Unbundled site on MSE>>

Good offer, but only ADSL2+ and rather a lot of ifs, buts and maybes....

Prefer to pay £22.50 for fibre and line rental...:-) :-)
 Broadband costs - movilogo
>> and it now looks like I could pay ten quid a month less for the same service.

I recently noticed new customers are paying much less than for what I pay for broadband+phones + mobile to BT.

Rang them and threatened to leave and they reduced by my bill by £15/month.

However, I did figure out whom to move to in case they didn't offer me a good deal.
Latest Forum Posts