Computer Related > Local newspapers online Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 10

Local newspapers online - bathtub tom
I'm no longer able to see my local newspapers online. I can find the links for them, but now just get a grey page. They use something called pagesuite. IIRC it was somehow linked to Java, so I've uninstalled that and re-installed it, but there's no difference.
I'm using Waterfox browser and windows 10 pro.
 Local newspapers online - VxFan
Have you tried another browser?

Rebooted the PC?
Reboot hasn't changed anything. I'll try a different browser tomorrow.
 Local newspapers online - Zero

>> I'm using Waterfox browser

Why?
>> >> I'm using Waterfox browser
>> Why?

I was using Firefox and it was someone here suggested Waterfox to overcome snags at the time.

I've tried Chrome and that's given me an error message relating to Adobe flash (don't know why I thought it was something to do with Java). I'll look into it later today.
I can now read the newspapers if I use Chrome.
If I type adobe into Waterfox I get:
get.adobe.com/flashplayer/download/?installer=FP_28_for_Firefox_-_NPAPI&os=Windows%2010&browser_type=Gecko&browser_dist=Firefox&dualoffer=false&mdualoffer=true&stype=7788&a=McAfee_Safe_Connect&a=McAfee_Security_Scan_Plus

Nothing happens except a white screen.
 Local newspapers online - Stuartli
Waterfox is the 64bit version of Firefox.

Clearing the cache regularly may/should help cure most problems (Tools>Options>Advanced>Clear cached Web Content).

Download Adobe Flash Player from the official website:

get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Make sure you change the location to United Kingdom and also uncheck the McAfee options (if unwanted).
I've downloaded Flash Player again as Stuartli suggested, but I still get just a grey screen.

Curiously, Edge was opened as a result of downloading flash, so I tried opening the newspaper with that. I got a 'flash was blocked' message. Unblocking it allowed me to view the newspaper. I presume I've somehow inhibited flash in waterfox. I've looked in Add-ons and can see I've got AdobeAAMDetect and Shockwave Flash set to 'ask to activate', but wouldn't that give me the option to unblock it each time it was required, as in Edge?
 Local newspapers online - rtj70
On Windows 64-bit, Firefox will default to 64-bit now.

www.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/all/

Of course if you're on an older version then it might be 32-bit. And you can manually choose to install 32-bit. But if your PC meets the requirements a fresh install defaults to 64-bit....

So what does Waterfox give that Firefox does not?
 Local newspapers online - No FM2R
>>So what does Waterfox give that Firefox does not?

It irritated me. It was quite good most of the time, but it didn't handle upgrades very well - both it's own and those of thinks like Flash.

In the end it wasn't worth the effort and I removed it some time ago.
 Local newspapers online - Stuartli
See:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterfox

Also Waterfox no longer uses the Firefox profiles:

blog.waterfoxproject.org/waterfox-55.0-release-download

Last edited by: Stuartli on Tue 24 Apr 18 at 00:49
Latest Forum Posts