Computer Related > Router Query - For those in the know :) Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fullchat Replies: 9

Router Query - For those in the know :) - Fullchat
We've just had fibre optic installed (Lightstream). Electricity is due in a couple of months :)

Part of the instillation included a dual band Zyxel router which at best looks like a couple of £'s worth.

This is connected to an installed box with a lot of flashing lights on the top.

I do have still in its wrapping paper a rather expensive Asus dual band ADSL +2 router.

Is there any reason I cannot swap the router or are they specific to ADSL and Fibre Optic??
 Router Query - For those in the know :) - Zero
Lightstream? So you are in the Hull area with Kcom.

That means you have fibre to house. The installed box with lights on is the fibre modem, you can't replace that easily, but you can swap out the Zyxel router, I'm assuming (but not sure as fibre to the house is not common) the replacement for the Zyxel will need to be VDSL not the normal ADSL2

If it works stick with what you have.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 25 May 18 at 21:11
Hull - correct.

Got that. Of course. The modem and router are 2 separate components as opposed to the combined modem/router we are generally used to in the home environment.

Thanks Z
 Router Query - For those in the know :) - Robin O'Reliant
Hull?

And I always thought you were posh...
No I just talk proper. :)

And we have our own telecommunications company.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=k77mFaRDilQ

Last edited by: Fullchat on Fri 25 May 18 at 23:12
 Router Query - For those in the know :) - rtj70
Your KCOM Lightstream service is fibre to the premises and therefore you cannot use a VDSL modem/router. You are stuck with their fibre modem but you can (probably) swap the router for something else.... Just like you could with Virgin's coax to the home based broadband.
 Router Query - For those in the know :) - Arctophile
The box on the wall with flashing lights will be a TPON (Telephony over Passive Optical Network) terminal, this works in a similar way to a conventional modem on a copper network,

The TPON will be connected to the Zyxel by an ethernet cable with the Zyxel acting as a pure router probably also providing wifi. Zyxel have quite a good reputation (but then I would say that having bought one last month).

The Asus is a modem/router. It may be possible to use it as a pure router by switching off the modem, it depends on the model. The Asus would need a WAN (Wide Area Network) ethernet port to connect to the TPON, possibly one of the LAN (Local Area Network) ports could be set as a WAN port.

I don’t know how KCom handle authentication, if they use a conventional username/password arrangement then the Asus would need to handle that, probably using PPoE. ADSL routers often do not have this required PPoE facility.

Which model Asus is it?
Thanks for your reply.

Its a DSL-N55U model.

There is no RJ45 WAN entry port only 4 X LAN ports.
 Router Query - For those in the know :) - Arctophile

>>
>> There is no RJ45 WAN entry port only 4 X LAN ports.

... and a quick look at the DSL-N55U specification indicates that a LAN port cannot be set as a WAN port.

So, it looks like: keep the Zyxel and see how it goes or treat yourself to a new Asus router.
Thank you again. As always Im not that lucky :S
Latest Forum Posts