Computer Related > Wifi Range extender Computing Issues
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 5

Wifi Range extender - Zero
This is an interesting concept

www.free-instruction-manuals.com/pdf/pa_1866052.pdf

www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-2g-13a-sp-switched-wi-fi-extender-socket-white/7706v
 Wifi Range extender - sherlock47
Very neat idea - surprised it has not been done before. Just hope that it is more reliable than most of the cheap and nasty plugin chinese wifi extenders.

This is another BG product that looks as though it might have legs....
www.screwfix.com/p/wifi-connekt-single-band-n300-13a-2-gang-switched-socket-with-ethernet-2-0a-usb-add-on-socket/3628v

Have you tried the original yet? Did you set up with its own SSID or replicate the settings for your main router - and does it changeover seamlessly as you move around?
 Wifi Range extender - sherlock47
Correction - that ethernet socket is not a BG product.
 Wifi Range extender - smokie
I have two of them, they work pretty well.

I seem to have something going on in this house, not really sure what, where any WiFi extender device loses the internet (but the main device is still OK), and I thought these might solve it. To a large extent they have but I still seem to get occasional drops for a few minutes. Not a problem much of the time except when I'm playing something like poker which needs to be always online.

I don't think that's the fault of these devices, which I'd recommend.

Bit annoying though as I'd replaced the sockets less than two years previously with the gen 1 ones with USB charge ports at some costs, then along comes something else... that's the price of being an early adopter!!
 Wifi Range extender - smokie
To answer Sherlock's question, I set it up originally with the same SSID but then wanted to do some testing while being confident which SSID I was connected to so I gave it it's own. In other circumstances the wireless device switching would, I reckon, be seamless (albeit with a slight lag while it made the connection) but as most of the house is covered by a weak but ineffectual signal from the main device it doesn't usually go below whatever the threshold is on the device that causes it to drop the connection, which is a bit irritating as it means you have to manually change it most of the time when you realise you aren't getting much throughput. Devices within it's range which don't move (e.g. under-telly PC and Google home) reliably connect to it each time.

Now I know how to manage it I have put it back to the same SSID, to keep the number of networks down ( - as I also use the guest network on the main device for the home automation stuff where possible - Google Home, LIFX lights and WiFi sockets mainly, but I have a handful of Chinese switches which I can't think of a use for!!).
 Wifi Range extender - VxFan
One downside is that it isn't dual band. It only uses the 2.4GHz Frequency Band and not 5GHz.
Latest Forum Posts