Computer Related > Home Automation Smartish Home.
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 5

Home Automation Smartish Home. - sherlock47
[Split, rather messily, from the thread about the WiFi switches]

>>>Google Home, LIFX lights and WiFi sockets mainly, but I have a handful of Chinese switches which I can't think of a use for!!).<<<

Which chinese switches? I have beeen playing around with Sonoff products which appear relativey well built compared with some chinesse crap. The Ewelink site seems pretty reliable as well. I suspect Sonoff products get copied and not sure that all meet the same standards?

Energenie products (and support ) are excellent but if i had not got them relatively cheaply would be difficult to justify on price.

IFTTT works well for both products. I keep thinking about transferring everything on to a second guest network - are the security issues real?
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 11 Jun 18 at 15:02
 Home Automation Smartish Home. - smokie
I've got Sonoff basic switches, 5 of them. They were so cheap... :-)

The initial idea was to put them in the ceiling behind multi-bulb lights where it would cost a small fortune to install multiple LIFX (or similar) bulbs. But the possible problem was that there is no "override" so you have no manual control over the lights if the internet is playing up or out of action.

There is a post here somewhere where I discussed getting replacement light switches but then realised they are wired differently therefore unsuitable (they are not designed for a ring).

The Sonoff Basic switches seem to b built OK but are only good for up to 10A.

I use EWELink and LIFX software through voice control on the Google Home devices, no problems except the LIFX bulbs sometimes come on in the middle of the night!!

I also bought a 5m LED strip, 16m colours. Not yet sure I have a use for it (except maybe at Christmas) but again it was cheap. That uses yet another app, Magic Home. They all seem to work fine.

Lastly I have a couple of plug-in WiFi switches, you know, where it has a socket you then plug your device into. Those are EWELink too. Again, not really found a sensible use for them but I'm sure I will... :-) One of those was DOA but they refunded, and I took it part before throwing it away and it's a badly made joint. I might fix it but then again I may not... Again 10A max.

I'm not that aware of security issues with home automation but I've read about Alex sending stuff to some's contacts and suchlike, but it doesn't especially concern me at the moment.

I'd like to tinker with IFTTT or MacDroid but haven't yet got round to it...
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 11 Jun 18 at 13:02
 Home Automation Smartish Home. - Robin O'Reliant
I've read this thread twice and I still don't understand a single word of it.
>>>The Sonoff Basic switches seem to b built OK but are only good for up to 10A.<<<

There is a version around that is rated to 16A (TH10 and TH16).

The Sonoff 4 channel pro can be controlled by a 433Mhz remote so you could install that in the ceiling space and have a back up solution for when the Internet is down. This unit is brilliant - you an use it as 4 independent 'switched change-over contacts' if required, powered by a separate 12v supply so making it 100% safe. It also supports a pulse mode output if you wish to operate a lock or garage door for example. I will check the 433Mhz operation later and repost.

>>>There is a post here somewhere where I discussed getting replacement light switches but then realised they are wired differently therefore unsuitable (they are not designed for a ring).<<<

i have several Sonoff 3 gang light switches which are very good value.
I must have missed your post. Nothing to do with a ring. They require a wired neutral to the
switch (which is rare), however if you have multiple gang light switches that have been wired for independent fittings it is easy enough to steal a 'live' and convert it into a neutral. (If you have access to the ceiling rose or similar). Alternatively use one of the light circuits that is not used, and put and incandescent bulb in it and just use this as a 'derived' neutral.

These will also support 433Mhz control - so could be hidden in roof space where you will have easy access to a neutral - and then get back up for internet. failure.

I have not explored the Sonoff 'hub' but this could overcome your your requirement for backup control.

I think that this might start to deserve it's own thread - can you split it?

>>>I will check the 433Mhz operation later and repost.<<<

Sonoff pro is ok for control by a standard Energenie 433MHz remote - can control all 4 outputs independently!

RR is now totally confused.
 Home Automation Smartish Home. - smokie
... and you are getting beyond my technical level too!! :-)

But it's an area I am interested in and am keen to learn.

I don't understand electricity and wiring enough to do what you said with the light switches. Though I'll re-read and concentrate on what you said to see if I can achieve it.

I've also been tinkering with a number of projects on a Raspberry Pi (well, two of them actually, a B+ and the newer cheapo one) but none have yet grabbed me enough to stop me re-using the SD card! There seems to be scope for some home automation projects using that, but compared to some of the ready-made stuff from China it seems an expensive option!! I made a motion detection camera which sent pictures and video to me via email but the parts (reusable) probably cost over £70... also a VPN "server" and an ad blocker.
Latest Forum Posts