Computer Related > Windows 10 Start Up Computing Issues
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 8

Windows 10 Start Up - Duncan
When I start my PC, an envelope icon with a number alongside frequently appears on the screen. The number is usually between , say, 5 and 15. I can't see what the number refers to.

Any ideas, please?
 Windows 10 Start Up - Zero
Click on it, and it will tell you.

Its probably mail, notifications, or messages. It might even tell us a teeny bit more than you have about make and model of pc....
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 13 Jul 18 at 18:22
I have clicked on it and nothing happened. I will try again when I next start up.
It's one of these.

PC-1869C.

NOVATECH LIFE NTI114 - INTEL CORE I5 4460 PROCESSOR - 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ MEMORY - 1TB 6GB/S SATA HARD DRIVE - 120GB SSD- H81M CHIPSET MOTHERBOARD - WINDOWS 8.1
Is it windows 10 or windows 8.1, we have conflicting info now. Have you double clicked it? or right clicked it?
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 13 Jul 18 at 18:38
Changed to 10 some months ago.

Strange thing is, this envelope symbol doesn't always appear on the screen.
Its probably new mail.
 Windows 10 Start Up - smokie
Which screen does it appear on? Your logon screen or your desktop?
 Windows 10 Start Up - Bromptonaut
In my version of W10 there are two icons that might correspond to OP's description.

One on the left side of taskbar is new email, the number relates to new unread mail which has arrived since I last opened and looked at the email client. Another on right, more of a speech bubble than an envelope, is system notifications. At the moment mine has two messages, one about a problem connecting to my NAS and the other that Windows Defender has checked my system and found nothing untoward. I think it also tells me if I have unread mail but I ignore it's messages about mail as I've always got my email client open.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 14 Jul 18 at 09:41
Latest Forum Posts