Computer Related > SSDs Car Deals
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 18

SSDs - No FM2R
Considering a couple of SSDs;

SATA, SATA II and SATA III; are they backwards compatible? (I realise the port would limit the speed)

Other than that question, when putting an SSD into a laptop are there any other considerations other than whether or not it will physically fit?

Are there any other considerations when putting one into a desktop?

Obviously I need to decide the capacity I want.

SSDs - Zero
Your choice of motherboard decides, you get the best spec your motherboard supports. If its a recent one it will be SataIII

Dont forget your internal SATA data cables, check your motherboard supplies them, and the length from motherboard port to SSD location dictated by your choice of case.

SSDs - No FM2R
>>Your choice of motherboard decides, you get the best spec your motherboard supports. If its a recent one it will be SataIII

Got that. But if I buy a SATAIII anyway and my board is SATAII, it seems to me that it will still work although at SATAII speeds. Do you agree?
 SSDs - Zero

>> Got that. But if I buy a SATAIII anyway and my board is SATAII, it
>> seems to me that it will still work although at SATAII speeds. Do you agree?

Agree, Satadrive is backwards compatible.
 SSDs - Zero
Doh didn't read your first post properly, being a laptop the cable thing don't come into play,
 SSDs - smokie
Yep, no, no.

Well on my pc I don't have my two ssd's properly mounted in anything, they just lie loose in the bottom of the case, but as i never move it it is not really a problem.

And I suppose it's worth saying.. On my desktop I use the ssd solely for windows and apps I. Ë. It has very little data on it (except under users/data which seems unavoidable). This is pretty good as I can easily sync my data d drive regularly, and just image the c drive once in a while too, takes about 20 minutes ,usually after a windows update. I think the image is something like 25 Gb now (it's compressed). But I'm sure you've already worked this out... :-)
 SSDs - No FM2R
>>On my desktop I use the ssd solely for windows and apps

I know that there used to be the concern about the longevity of the SSD with too much RW, is that still the case? Is it unwise/impractical to use it for everything?

How does that work in a laptop which can only have one disk?

As for User data, it seemed to me that you could move all the major directories, including Desktop, to other drivers. It was the User profile itself that you could not move, but there is no great amount of data under that.

SSDs - Driver
Lifespan:

www.compuram.de/blog/en/the-life-span-of-a-ssd-how-long-does-it-last-and-what-can-be-done-to-take-care/

In laptops, the form factor for SSDs can be a bit different. Mine has two M2 drives:

www.techspot.com/guides/768-ssd-form-factors/
Last edited by: Driver on Tue 7 Aug 18 at 22:37
 SSDs - Zero
>> >>On my desktop I use the ssd solely for windows and apps
>>
>> I know that there used to be the concern about the longevity of the SSD
>> with too much RW, is that still the case? Is it unwise/impractical to use it
>> for everything?
>>
>> How does that work in a laptop which can only have one disk?

With modern Ssd's its a problem that no longer needs worrying about. Its not like you don't back up is it.
 SSDs - rtj70
And apart from speed, QLC SSDs are available. Samsung will have a 4TB one soon.
 SSDs - Kevin
What do you use the desktop for? SSD might not make much difference depending on the useage profile.

My home server (an x3550 M4 E5-2609, 48GB RAM with M5110 Raid plus 512MB cache) would show no discernible difference with SSD once it has booted because it does very little random I/O. The I/O subsystem is not a bottleneck.

My old laptop however showed serious signs of being diskbound and would have benefited from SSD but it wasn't worth the cost to upgrade.

>How does that work in a laptop which can only have one disk?

My old Samsung NP550 laptop (i5 with 8GB RAM and 1TB HDD) was replaced a couple of weeks ago after one of the hinge covers broke and started to crack the display bezel. It was replaced with a Dell 7577 (i7 with 16GB RAM, 256GB SDD, 1TB HDD and GXT1060 6GB) and the extra performance is very noticable, certainly when running Gimp. The SSD is used for OS and applications and the HDD is used for data. Quite cheap for the spec too.

Are you are any good at man-maths? It might be preferable to replace the laptop with something newer.
 SSDs - rtj70
>> My home server (an x3550 M4 E5-2609, 48GB RAM with M5110 Raid plus 512MB cache) would
>> show no discernible difference with SSD once it has booted because it does very little random I/O.

Your home server for starters is not a desktop with that Xeon processor and 48GB RAM and RAID controller :-) Then again my work laptop is a few years old and has 32GB RAM.

When I swapped out two drives on my desktop for 250GB Samsung SSDs a few years ago it booted a lot quicker into Windows and macOS. Data remained on a large HDD. I rarely power it on these days. Used to use for VMs but the work laptop has more memory.
 SSDs - Kevin
I'd hoped that "home server" might have been a clue. I guess not.

The point I was trying to make was that SSDs may, or may not, make any appreciable difference depending on the usage profile. Understanding what needs to be improved and where the bottlenecks are is the first step. He might see more bang for his buck with more RAM or a better graphics card, for example.
 SSDs - rtj70
But if the laptop or desktop is often shutdown and rebooted, replacing the system disk with an SSD will decrease boot times. Also decreases time to open apps. It's not going to speed up gaming, Internet access, etc. but I think NoFM2R knows that.
 SSDs - Kevin
.." depending on the usage profile."...
 SSDs - No FM2R
Kevin,

You have certainly given me pause for thought.

I think though, I want one. Both more RAM and certainly a better graphics card may make sense. But I think I'm going to for an SSD because I'm a boy and it's shiny.
 SSDs - rtj70
For the laptops where graphics cannot be upgraded* and RAM may be difficult then an SSD will make a difference.

My desktop certainly boots to Windows (and when it had OSX on it rather than Windows 10 on the other SSD) that did too. Very fast loading apps compared to an older HDD.

* I know newer laptops can have external GPUs via USB-C. And RAM cannot always be upgraded. Then again you cannot swap out SSDs on the later MacBooks either.
 SSDs - Kevin
>But I think I'm going to for an SSD because I'm a boy and it's shiny.

Which is the perfect justification for buying one. Like my new laptop and phone.
 SSDs - car4play
>> Considering a couple of SSDs;
>>
>> SATA, SATA II and SATA III
>> Are there any other considerations when putting one into a desktop?

On a Mac desktop drives have a thermal sensor that controls can speed.
You don’t get this with non standard drives so have to get a utility to set the fan speed manually.
Latest Forum Posts