Computer Related > FTTC Availability / Router Power Computing Issues
Thread Author: Driver Replies: 12

FTTC Availability / Router Power - Driver
I cant get FTTC as my cabinet is full and there are no plans to upgrade it.

My MIL lives 300 yards away and can get it.

She is about 100 ft higher on a hill and a few houses and trees separate us.

It is feasible to have some sort of fast wireless connection between the two premises?

Thanks
Actually it's 70 meters per Google maps in a straight line - 1/4 mile by road - don't know why its mixed Imperial / Metric.

FTTC Availability / Router Power - rtj70
>> She is about 100 ft higher on a hill and a few houses and trees separate us.
>> It is feasible to have some sort of fast wireless connection between the two premises?

My main WiFi router is in the home office at the front of the house. At the back of the house in the conservatory I get a weak signal through the walls etc. I am sure I could position the router better but I have an access point downstairs so that's not an issue for us.

But I doubt you'd get any WiFi connection working over 70 metres even if line of site. With houses in between no chance.

You need to get BT to upgrade the cabinet.
 FTTC Availability / Router Power - No FM2R
I've just had some new wizzy wizzy security cameras put in. I reckon the furthest ones are about 250m from the server in the house, and wireless. There are a few trees in between, but nothing as substantial as a house. The man has installed a wireless LAN covering the whole area.

So yes, it can be done.

The man's back tomorrow, I'll ask him a few more details about it.

FTTC Availability / Router Power - No FM2R
Is she wired into the same cabinet as you?
>> Is she wired into the same cabinet as you?
>>

No, I am plugged in to cabinet 59, she is plugged in to cabinet 61.
 FTTC Availability / Router Power - Zero
>> Actually it's 70 meters per Google maps in a straight line - 1/4 mile by

70 metres? Wireless is possible. Fast? not likely You'll need to be canny with wifi aerials, an access point upstairs at the host facing your place, another at your place high up facing hers. Anyone in between uses a microwave, forget it.

However, Ii'd try some nanobeams

www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/30050-ubiquiti-nbe-5ac-gen2-ptp/

you'll notice they never mention distance, but if you can install so there is line of sight between the two, it should work. Few quid to lash out on experimentation tho;.
 FTTC Availability / Router Power - sherlock47
I had the good fortune to borrow a pair of Ubiquiti M5s about 5 years ago We tested them on an over a hill route for about 1km with multiple trees and obstructions, and they performed impressively, with data rate well with then BB speed of 8Mbit/s. Operating the local unit as a base station I could see other installations from over 15km away! Straight forward small rod aerials - nothing sophisticated like a parabolic reflector or array.

The only reason we did not proceed was because the end users were not technically capable of resetting / maintaining. And my property was un occupied for 6 months a year.

They appear to have been superceeded now but the price of similar units has come down.

But available from Amazon

The cheper point to point units should work well over your limited range.
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Thu 6 Sep 18 at 21:22
There appears some confusion on naming of products 'Airmax ' I believe is the correct term/ They are used extensively by commercial operators for setting up temporary facilities.

Amazon link

tinyurl.com/y7fepajh

Ubiquti Link

www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/16607-ubiquiti-nsm5-kit/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9YbvhZ2n3QIVyLHtCh2-owyAEAQYASABEgIX-_D_BwE

worth reading set up guide
set up tinyurl.com/yc6252h3
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Thu 6 Sep 18 at 21:39
Don't these need to be setup with line of site between the two aerials? He said there's some houses and trees.

Another option might be to share a neighbours connection over WiFi and contribute to their FTTC broadband connection. Win-win.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 6 Sep 18 at 23:38
>> Don't these need to be setup with line of site

As I said I used some M5s over a longer distance without line of sight and they were remarkable. They are designed for Base station/Access Point installation and not necessarily very directional.

However the link from Z is for a newer product specifically designed for P to P with a parabolic ?shape claiming to be very directional. Also lower power?

It could be that a greater distance and non directional aerials is an advantage when the line of sight is obscured with the signal taking multiple paths and reflections?

The only way for a given pair of locations without line of sight is probably to try it and see.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 7 Sep 18 at 10:16
If you are going to invest in something like Zero or Sherlock47 have suggested test it before taking out a 12 month FTCC contract.

As the OP said it's not line of sight.... there's houses in between that might block a signal.

Don't suppose there's the option of running some CAT5 cable.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 7 Sep 18 at 23:59
Thanks for all your replies.

Some good ideas and I will need to do a bit of thinking about this.
Latest Forum Posts