Computer Related > Windows 10 updates? Computing Issues
Thread Author: Mike H Replies: 12

Windows 10 updates? - Mike H
The hard disk on my Windows 10 laptop seems to be almost constantly active even when no programs are actively doing anything. This in turn sometimes means that it's slow to respond to simple tasks such as typing an email. I can only assume that it's downloading updates. It seems to have got worse over the last 6 months, it seemed to be quite fast until then. Anyone else noticed the same?
 Windows 10 updates? - Bromptonaut
My mini laptop at home had a massive W10 update this week - took best part of an hour to install with several restarts during process. It's a device optimised for battery life over performance so probably slower than by desktop would be. I've not seen any evidence of a similar update on either of Mrs B's machines or my W10 PC at the office.

Windows 10 updates? - VxFan
>> My mini laptop at home had a massive W10 update this week

My desktop the same a couple of weeks ago. Took nearly 1¾ hours to complete the Win10 update. Since then it's had two further smaller updates.
 Windows 10 updates? - bathtub tom
I had an update earlier this week that slowed everything.
If you click on the windows 'start' icon in the bottom LH corner and then the 'power' icon one of the options will be either 'shut down', or 'update and shut down' if an update has been downloaded.
 Windows 10 updates? - Robin O'Reliant
I don't know if it was update related, but my W10 slowed to a crawl last week and nothing I could do would sort it. It was taking 15 minutes to start up and that nearly length again to respond to any keyboard commands. Luckily all my backups were up to date so I did a full OS reinstall to cure it.

PITA though.
 Windows 10 updates? - Mike H
Thanks for the thoughts. I really don't want to get into a reinstall.

After I posted this yesterday it did a very chunky update involving several restarts. I'll keep an eye on it and see how it goes.
 Windows 10 updates? - VxFan
Sounds like the latest Win10 has been rolled out to your machine.
 Windows 10 updates? - Bromptonaut
>> Sounds like the latest Win10 has been rolled out to your machine.

On further checking the new version and other bits/bobs had come close to filling the mini laptop's 32Gb hard drive. Some elements of update had not installed.

A bit of housekeeping later I've removed a whole load of detritus and drive is just about 50% full.
 Windows 10 updates? - Falkirk Bairn
Slow BB in my area - my laptop (i5, 8Mb) started download at 12.23 and finished just after 5 pm!

5 hours give or take - surely something must be wrong.
A son's I-mac updates take about 30 mins (fibre BB in his area) start to finish!
 Windows 10 updates? - smokie
After Windows updates it worth right clicking the disk in Explorer, going to Properties then disk cleanup. The click Clean Up System files and remove the update files. Often saves quite a few Gb.
 Windows 10 updates? - No FM2R
>>The hard disk on my Windows 10 laptop seems to be almost constantly active even when no programs are actively doing anything.

You may have a failed update causing a road block.

Type "View update history" into the search box and search for a failed update. If you do find one try Googling that particular update.

It may be that a manual update, or simply deleting it and forcing a new update will clear it.
 Windows 10 updates? > Macrium Reflect update - busbee
I use the freebee version it to clones disks, about every 6 months, so not a lot of use -- drag and drop -- 64 bit win10 version.

It keeps offering to update me several times a day, ringing my 'bell'

Anyone downloaded it recently? Did you get converted to a paying version?
 Windows 10 updates? > Macrium Reflect update - smokie
I use the free version of Reflect to clone C drive weekly . Never had to pay and I keep it up to date.
Latest Forum Posts