Computer Related > Windows 10 PnP? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 20

Windows 10 PnP? - Zero
My main windows 10 PC threw a wobbler this morning, shut it down last night normall, this morning - Nothing.

I have fans, I have whirring CD, but nothing else, no beeps, no screen.

Isolate it down to motherboard or CPU.

I drag my older slightly less whizzbang machine out, pull the Boot SSD from the dead one, and stick it in the older one. The older one has a different chip set, and different video card architecture to the newer one.

Machine boots, Windows starts to boot, does an update, and then boots to logon screen.

Ok Video resolution is screwed, dump the old AMD drivers, install Geforce drivers and Bingo all is well again.

Impressed with Windows pnp capabilities.

So its time for a new mobo and cpu. While I am at it, someone wants me to build a micro cube PC for them, so its tech fun time.

Windows 10 PnP? - smokie
I would say I'm off tech projects at the moment (currently re-using a couple of pallets to make a strawberry planter or two) but in actual fact I'm not as the old ones are backfiring a bit.

Due to tariff changes at my supplier a bug has appeared in my program which interrogates and reports my energy usage, and not being a PERL person it takes me ages to get anywhere. Also there appears to be another intermittent bug when I use it for a full update, which might be an issue at their end but I din't know how to tell.

And I've had to reboot my router a few times, and once it went unexpectedly, which has had the end effect of Google Home becoming somewhat unbalanced in its capability to control a diverse set of manufacturers smart devices.

I'm, not grumbling, it's nice to have something to get up for each day!!! I'm just a bit frustrated that sometimes I feel like I'm going round in circles.

I didn't know that Windows was so much more PnP - not before time really!!

Anyway good luck with your builds. I always got a sense of satisfaction building PCs from components but haven't needed to do it for some years now. I suppose my Pi stuff has taken it's place (- which reminds me, I must do a build with the new IR cameras I was given for Christmas. Otherwise I'd be looking ungrateful!)
Last edited by: smokie on Sun 19 Jan 20 at 14:01
 Windows 10 PnP? - tyrednemotional
Given the expiry of Win7, I've just updated two machines to WIn10, the oldest now being over 11 years old.

Both took a clean install of Win10 quite happily, and sorted all the drivers out (with a trawl required for a motherboard specific one in one case). Rather surprising really, as Win8 had problems with non-availability of some of the drivers.

Both moves from Win7 to Win10 were achieved free, and fully activated successfully via the (reasonably) well-documented, Microsoft-engineered loophole using the Win7 product key.
 Windows 10 PnP? - Falkirk Bairn
Win 7 to Win 8 had poor driver coverage for older technology things such as printers, scanners along with internal cards & DVD / video chipsets etc etc

Win 10 MS paid hardware suppliers to provide drivers for both new & old hardware - hence the difference in installation process for Win 10.
 Windows 10 PnP? - Bromptonaut
>> Given the expiry of Win7, I've just updated two machines to WIn10, the oldest now
>> being over 11 years old.

For same expiry reason we've had the tech in at work thus week updating remaining Win 7 machines to 10. Some are so old they're stickered as Vista compatible but seem to be running OK.

They're used for Word, simple spreadsheets and to access web based CMS plus call/webchat handling applications. Talking OK to network printer/scanner.

Makes you wonder just how long a Pentium era machine can go on for.
 Windows 10 PnP? - Mike H
Inspired by this thread, I upgraded my 13-year old Mesh from 7 to 10 a few days ago for free. It's a bit slow (it has a very old hdd in it, not even SATA, as the SATA controller packed up several years ago). I had a minor glitch when it installed the MS basic video driver because there is no Windows 10 one available. I did a bit of googling and found that the Windows 7 one worked OK for most people, so I downloaded and installed that, and it seems to be fine.

Given the rate of apparent advance in computing over the last few years, I was surprised and delighted that such an old machine was able to accept and run Windows 10. It started life as a Vista machine!
Last edited by: Mike H on Sat 29 Feb 20 at 15:16
 Windows 10 PnP? - John Boy
>> Inspired by this thread, I upgraded my 13-year old Mesh from 7 to 10 a
>> few days ago for free.
>>
I did the same with my 8-year old Chillblast a short while ago and I'm agreeably surprised at how fast Windows now loads and shuts down.
 Windows 10 PnP? - Zero

>> So its time for a new mobo and cpu.

Just out of interest for the techies within you I have ordered

1 x Intel Core i7 9700 9th Gen Desktop Processor/CPU R
1 x ASUS PRIME Z390-A - Intel DDR4 ATX Motherboard
 Windows 10 PnP? - No FM2R
How much, if I can be so rude?
 Windows 10 PnP? - Zero
>> How much, if I can be so rude?

around 450 squidlets
 Windows 10 PnP? - Zero
Well, the broken "newer" machine has now had the new motherboard and cpu transplant. It threw up some issues with an existing windows hard drive, it couldn't be found as a boot device. Turned out to be a Windows secure uefi issue, after much head scratching I found a hidden compatibility option hidden deep in the advanced bios menus.

So my windows boot SSD went in, did its PNP bit and off we went. Didn't recognise the LAN port, so the device driver went in and fixed that issue.

Didn't want it, didn't realise it had it when I ordered it, but it has 12V RGB led strip light headers. Hmmm thinks I, - so i order a cheap strip light kit from the A, stick it in, download and install the Asus Aura utility and we have this -

youtu.be/LPJiXyQAYt0

Just had two disks on my PC spontaneously fail. Only a pain in the a*** since I keep copies of everything.

However, in this environment one has to keep half an eye on the temperature the PC is running at. Having replaced two disks with two reasonably similar hard disks and changed nothing else the PC now seems to be running the best part of 20 degrees cooler.

Does that seem likely?
 Windows 10 PnP? - smokie
Do you mean CPU temp? Aren't they usually at about 40 degrees C? If so that seems a huge drop!! What is it running at now?

I guess a failing drive could have to work harder due to continual retries, which must affect it's temperature. But again it seems a massive drop.

Mr Obvious says SSDs would run cooler.

I once thought I had a spate of failing disks (one failed then the replacement failed pdq) but it wasn't. it was the cable or controller or something, I forget now. I'd already thrown the first one away by the time I realised...
I've got a number of temperatures shown but the CPU is the only one I pay attention to simply as an indicator.

Right now it's a fairly cool day, 35 degrees, and the CPU is showing 47 degrees with a range of 42 - 61 for today.

I have recently been having issues with it running around 75 - 80 and getting up to 90 - 95, all of which seems to have gone away.

The system disk is an SSD but the other 4 are ordinary hard disks of which two are now new.
 Windows 10 PnP? - smokie
Sorry, nothing to add... except 90 is extremely high and could knacker anything, or shorten its life. Bu then you know that. You're sure your case fan is fitted the right way round???

Back to Zero and machine building... I expect you realise that you can now use disc spanning under Windows 10 - like JBOD under RAID - which I've done, using a small SSD to extend my SSD D drive by a little. I wouldn't plan it into a system but in my case I've made use of an old SSD drive which was otherwise a paperweight - all with the usual risks and disclaimers, of course.
>>Sorry, nothing to add... except 90 is extremely high and could knacker anything, or shorten its life. Bu then you know that. You're sure your case fan is fitted the right way round???

I checked that and more. I've made do recently with a large external fan and a side cover removed.

Despite all the things I did check it did not occur to me to check the disks, or even remove them temporarily just to see.

I guess it doens't much now the problem has gone, but I am still surprised.

Now gone to have a look at disk spanning. Not that I need it, but if it's new and shiny..........
 Windows 10 PnP? - Zero

>> Back to Zero and machine building... I expect you realise that you can now use
>> disc spanning under Windows 10 - like JBOD under RAID - which I've done, using
>> a small SSD to extend my SSD D drive by a little. I wouldn't plan
>> it into a system but in my case I've made use of an old SSD
>> drive which was otherwise a paperweight - all with the usual risks and disclaimers, of
>> course.

I'll only dick about with stuff if there is a significant and reliable advantage.
 Windows 10 PnP? - Zero
>> I've got a number of temperatures shown but the CPU is the only one I
>> pay attention to simply as an indicator.
>>
>> Right now it's a fairly cool day, 35 degrees, and the CPU is showing 47
>> degrees with a range of 42 - 61 for today.

Depends on the CPU of course, but anything above 70c is unhealthy. Modern CPUs will throttle down if they get too hot, had any of those symptoms?

Older failing disks themselves run warmer, and will make the cpu work harder but not 20c harder

i bet you dislodged some dirt or something from the cpu cooler if its now running cooler.

good idea to whip the cpu cooler off, clean off the old heat sink compound and replace it, it goes off after a while and becomes . useless..
 Windows 10 PnP? - Zero
Lets add some real world numbers into this

My CPU runs at approx 55c at 20% utilisation, my GPU is 53c at 48%

Stress tested my CPU* and it throttles back at 100c which it hits pretty damn quickly

(*thats 100% utilisation on all cores)

Ambient temp is 21c

Thank you. Off to check stuff and measure stuff. Will report back.
I checked the fan (right way round and clear of dust etc).

I guess I might need a better connection on the heat sink, but I don't really know what I'm looking at.

GPU seems to run at 48c though I haven't paid close attention.

CPU is 49c at 15%. It's currently showing a max of 105c which I think must have been yesterday evening, but it wasn't me. That's pretty high, but it seems to hit 95c most days.

Though it seems to be around 50c most of the time,dropping to pretty much ambient temperature when idle which is certainly cooler than last week.

Ambient temperature is high 30s most of the time, 20 ish at night.

I rather suspect that you're correct that I disturbed some crud or something when changing 2 disks and re-cabling them all.
Latest Forum Posts