Computer Related > Passwords Computing Issues
Thread Author: neiltoo Replies: 8

Passwords - neiltoo
We have an old Acer Aspire 1650, running XP.
We want to donate it to church, to play hymn tunes and display the words, via a projector.

I don't normally password protect my computers, but Mrs Too, being paranoid, does.

So obviously, we've forgotten the password.

How do we break in?

All suggestions gratefully received, especially working ones!

8o)

Neil
 Passwords - Robin O'Reliant
If you have the original installation discs, can you not do a fresh install?
 Passwords - No FM2R
Windows password or bios password?
 Passwords - No FM2R
If it is a Windows password then though you can remove it easily enough (see www.notebookreview.com/howto/how-to-change-or-reset-a-windows-xp-password/ for example) you are considerably better to do a new install to ensure that you remove all your data.

Getting it to be boot from a USB may be tricky so if you have the disks that would be ideal.

Failing that, download a copy of the same version of windows, burn it to cd/dvd and then boot and install it from that (you can use the same product licence key which should be printed on the laptop somewhere).
 Passwords - neiltoo
Windows.

I don't have the discs
 Passwords - tyrednemotional
I had a friend who was trying to help someone with a similar problem.

I tested Ophcrack, and then talked him through the process. It worked for him (even on WIN7, where technically it shouldn't).

It cracks and reveals the password in a very large number of cases.

If you have another machine, a USB drive, and the ACER will boot from USB (Google reveals this is probable), and you aren't daunted by the prospect, then you might want to give it a try.

The details can be found on this page (amongst others).

www.isumsoft.com/windows-xp/windows-xp-forgot-admin-password-unlock-with-free-tools.html#1

(I downloaded Ophcrack from the site referenced there, I used "rufus" from rufus.ie/ to burn it to a USB ISO).

In rufus, when you run it, select the Ophcrack ISO from above as the “Boot Selection” (it will give you an option of USB to burn to, which may, of course, be a single option if only one inserted).

You then need to boot the laptop from this USB. You’ll have to manipulate BIOS setting (or find the startup Fn key that gives boot device options - F12 for an Acer probably) AND, before you go into BIOS settings, make sure the bootable USB is inserted or it won’t appear as an option (In "removable devices"?).

The instructions on the above page imply everything will be done automatically when you boot from the USB - it is worth giving that a try, but I have notes that (at least how I invoked it) I had to "load" a cracking table manually. If that turns out to be a requirement, I have some sketchy notes from an email to my friend.

It took but a few seconds to reveal the password in both cases (you can then logon normally with that password).

Passwords - Zero
>> I had a friend who was trying to help someone with a similar problem.

So did I, spent all night fixing it he did, ended up humbled and determined to be better, but that was very short lived
 Passwords - tyrednemotional
>> >> I had a friend who was trying to help someone with a similar problem.
>>
>> So did I, spent all night fixing it he did, ended up humbled and determined
>> to be better, but that was very short lived
>>

....for my friend, I think the motivation was less than altruistic.........

.....the laptop belonged to an attractive young lady of his acquantance...

....I think any subsequent enjoyment was equally, if not more, short-lived.... ;-)
 Passwords - Zero
>> Windows.
>>
>> I don't have the discs

If you have the license key on a label on the bottom, I would be inclined to format the drive on the laptop, download the last fully patched XP iso, ans install that for a nice new fresh install

softlay.net/operating-system/windows-xp-sp3-iso-full-version-free-download.html
Latest Forum Posts