Computer Related > Watching UK TV Abroad?
Thread Author: BiggerBadderDave Replies: 47

Watching UK TV Abroad? - BiggerBadderDave
"Still with me?"

Yes, until you talk about the geographic approach. Then I get frustrated. I pay my tv licence, I pay Sky, I have property in the UK. Why can't I watch any of it abroad? I can watch some Sky but you could never watch the terrestrials or any derivatives and they are slowly switching satellites from European coverage to UK-only. Gold has gone. Watch, Dave, Drama, Quest, Paramount, Yesterday all went this year. Alibi went. Can't even watch Father Brown ffs and I'm starting to get grumpy. All Discovery went last year. Never bothered me cos I was catching up in the UK every month. Now this pestilence has upset my schedule.

Would Kodi work abroad (whatever that is)? Do you get the terrestrial channels from where you are and is it easy to find a way? Does it involve routers and disguising your location because that already way exceeds my IT knowledge. Open to ideas.

I have Prime and Netflix but I know what I see here is different from you see in the UK, I can't watch some of the stuff my mates are watching.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 25 Sep 20 at 12:59
 Watching UK TV Abroad? - helicopter
Try downloading Mobdro onto your firestick Dave, it gives you access to worldwide TV channels.
Check out firestick tricks on Google to install.
I know that it works in Europe because my B i L in Portugal told me about it .
 Watching UK TV Abroad? - No FM2R
>> Then I get frustrated.

You and me both.

>>Do you get the terrestrial channels from where you are and is it easy to find a way?

Yes & ish.

Disguising your location and using a VPN isn't that difficult, but it is an irritation. None of the free ones are much good.

NordVPN is seemingly one of the best and easiest. $5 - $10 per month depending on which deal you go for.

There are also paid services such as;

www.filmon.com
www.tvwhenaway.co.uk

About the same price as a VPN package.
Dave,

I just had a good look, so FWIW.....

The best price / performance VPN at the moment, bearing in mind safety, security and reliability, seems to be NordVPN. ExpressVPN is also pretty good, but it's a bit more expensive.

www.nordvpn.com

GBP 9.20 for a month, or GBP 2.86 per month if you sign up for 2 years.

To register one needs a credit card an an email address. It will then send you an email which you click on the link and complete the signup and account creation. a 30 second job.

You then download the application for whichever device you're on - router, phone, pc, Apple etc. etc.

You start the application and it asks you which country you want. Click on a map, job done.

I installed it on a PC and on a phone just to see. (The phone I use with a Chromecast to watch on a TV).

It really is both quick and easy. Just follow the instructions in front of your face. No skill required.

Having got the VPN working, and there are no material usage restrictions, then you simply need to choose a service to watch;

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer
www.itv.com/ (ITV Hub)
www.channel4.com/ (All 4)
uktvplay.uktv.co.uk/channel/dave/ (Dave)
www.my5.tv/ (Ch 5)
www.sky.com/shop/tv/sky-go/ (If you already have a Sky subscription)
uktvplay.uktv.co.uk/ (UKTV)
I'm going to check these possibles tomorrow, thanks for those. I had a look at the Filmon.com which gives you a preview of two minutes, so it works, but has almost no information on the website.

TVwhenaway.co.uk, that looks really professional and informative and I was about to try it out for a week but of course I haven't used PayPal before so I've hesitated. But very, very tempting, there is a function that tests if it works in my area, and it does. And a good price.

When Helicopter spoke about the Firestick, again (embarrassingly) I had no idea what it was but when I googled it, it seems I actually have one. The kids clubbed to together to buy one so we can watch Netflix and Prime on the unsmart telly in the living room - no more linking the telly to the MacBook. And it does other things, YouTube, Spotify and all that jazz. I'm going to check out this Mobdro thing, too. Or the kids will do it for me...

I'll check nordvpn, too. But really, I don't want to be watching late night telly on any device or Mac or at my desk so I want it all to work on the bedroom telly which is smart but probably out of date. I can't fall asleep without a big screen and a rich, warm sound. But not only that, Firesticks come with a remote. Man's best friend. Don't ask much do I?

Cheers for these!

D
This would probably be worth either you working out or bribing the kids to do so...

I presume that you have WiFi and pretty much all your devices run off that WiFi?

Go buy a WiFi router which is compatible with VPN - about 50 quid for a good one. Subscribe to and install the VPN on that router and plug it into your existing kit. You will now have two WiFi networks - your original Polish network and the new 'UK network.

Anything connected to the new 'UK' WiFi will see the UK versions of Netflix, Prime and anything else you choose to use with no further or future effort - including your Firestick in the living room or your smartish TV in the bedroom.

Simples. It really is. I and others will happily offer suggestions and advice.

You could make the frustration go away for ever.
Yeah we have the WiFi, Orange I think. It’s plugged into a phone point or something like that so it’s fixed to that point in the house I suppose, and my Macs are cabled to it.

I want to go in that direction - another UK WiFi - for the bedroom telly mostly. Does this second WiFi need to be tied to a phone point or is it stand-alone?

And since the kids have taken over everything downstairs, I think I should get another Firestick for my telly. Does it have to be a particular brand to make sure it has all the BBC iPlayer stuff? The Amazon one?

It also means if I take the uk wifi and the firestick to the UK pad, I will have the same over there - unsmart telly made smart and a wifi for my work. No more using my phone as a hotspot - just take the wifi. So long as they fit in a laptop bag, of course. Sounds fantastic. A twofer result.

So any good router recommendations? Fifty quid sounds good. I’ll worry about the VPN subscription when the hardware arrives….

Cheers!

D
Firstly could a Mod please split this thread at Dave's note Tue 22 Sep 20 15:31 and move it to Computer problems.

Secondly, no doubt others will correct any mistakes I make.

To correct some understanding;

You have an ISP, an internet service provider, who supplies internet connectivity to your house. That is usually a cable of one sort or another. In your case the phone point. (very common).

That connection terminates in your house at a modem. The modem is the box responsible for your house communicating with the internet.

Connected to the modem is a router. That router is responsible for sharing the connection from the modem to all the devices in your house.

The router shares that connection out in two ways; via cable and via WiFi.

There are essentially three devices; the modem, the wired router and the WiFi router. Typically they are a single box and you wouldn't even know that there were three devices in the one box.

So you can add a second WiFi router by simply plugging it into your main router. For your purposes that second router has to be able to use a VPN.

Thus, anything connected to router 2 will be part of the VPN and think it is in the UK. Anything connected to the main router, by wire or WiFi will not be part of the VPN and will know that it is in Poland.

The main router will be set to ignore and simply pass through any VPN traffic (the default setting in virtually all cases).

In attempt to illustrate...

Orange ISP -> Chez BBD Primary Router

Primary router -> existing WiFi registered as Poland based. (current situation)
Primary router -> VPN WiFi router (new router)
VPN WiFi router -> WiFi set as UK based

There on anything which connects to WiFi 1 will bypass the VPN and be seen as Poland based, anything which connects to WiFi 2 will go through the VPN and be seen as UK based.

No change is required on your devices, other than simply connecting them to the appropriate WiFi - and changing them to the other as often as you want.

So you need to buy a VPN compatible WiFi router, a VPN service and whatever device you will plug into your TV to make it smart.

Others know more about which device to use. I use a Chromecast but most people seem to do well with Firesticks.

As for moving it to the UK, then sort of. A WiFi router needs to be connected via a modem to an internet service. Simply taking it to the UK will do nothing unless you plug it into a UK service.

Unless you use a 5G/4G mobile internet service and then you'd need to worry about roaming charges.

Try and get that lot straight in your head and ask for clarification wherever neccessary.
 Watching UK TV Abroad? - VxFan
>> Firstly could a Mod please split this thread at Dave's note Tue 22 Sep 20 15:31 and move it to Computer problems.

Done (obviously)
Thanks Dave.
As if Youtube traps are not bad enough, I'm now stuck in a UK TV Catchup trap.

I just wanted to test what I said to BBD would work and I got stuck in there. Done Dad's Army, now into The Avengers.

Send help.

Watching UK TV Abroad? - sooty123
I found the archive bit on the BBC I player about a month ago. Must be years and years of viewing on there.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 26 Sep 20 at 21:08
 Watching UK TV Abroad? - Zero
For gawds sake, dont watch Porridge, you'll never get away. (for good reason, stunning scripts and actors)
>> For gawd's sake, don't watch Porridge, you'll never get away. (for good reason, stunning scripts
>> and actors)

>>I found the archive bit on the BBC I player about a month ago. Must be years and years of viewing on there.

I can't say you two are improving things. Watching "Tomorrow's World" at the moment. About the space race.
 Watching UK TV Abroad? - smokie
Mobdro is providing material illegally (so in theory you could get in trouble for watching, sya, premium Sky channels) but I've been known to use it and while you can find a massive range of channels the quality, especially of some of the more popular (therefore heavily streamed) programs is poor sometimes OK for a phone screen but would look dire on even a modest telly, and with buffering. (I have 200mb internet).

I've been using NordVPN and it is very good, and they often offer 2 year plans for something less than £60 IIRC. You can use it simultaneously on multiple devices (which is what I do) or as suggested get a router which can run it. The problem with the latter I that sometimes I've had to change which remote server it attaches to because they just seem to slow right down or stop and I guess that may require a router reboot. You can specify which server it uses or you can let it decide for you. There is a specific Firestick version. There are some sites which recognise NordVPN servers and block you so I occasionally need to turn it off - I think the most common has been one of the analytics sites, so it was that if you searched Google for shopping it wouldn't allow you to click to go the the item in store, whichever store it's in - although that example seems to be working fine right now!

Having said that, I couldn't get the BBC to work last year on my laptop under NordVPN. It still knew I wasn't in the UK so there must be something else (and I think I tried obvious stuff like cookies) which identify where you are coming from.

So when I was struggling last year I took a free trial of unlocator and that worked very well but I didn't use it much so can't really comment. It would be my fallback if NordVPN doesn't work, I'll just get it for a month for a fiver or something if necessary.

I would agree that VPN on a router is the best way and probably easiest way to go but just be aware it might need a bit of fiddling at times.

EDIT: I suppose if you';ve found a way to reach the sites you want on an Android and your telly is capable of receiving casting then a Chromecast would also be OK. I just got one and haven't used it much but it looked fine at sending your Android screen content to the TV, along with the sound. Not fully tested it yet but I think once it is casting you can do other stuff with your phone while the stream continues to play on the TV - except walk too far away - and that may depend on something like your Android version. I've no idea if Apple have a similar product (maybe Apple TV?).
Last edited by: smokie on Sun 27 Sep 20 at 09:42
 Watching UK TV Abroad? - Stuartli
This is the method I use with both Mobdro and Potato Streams Android apps, which works very well in conjunction with ProtonVPN and a cheap Neocore N1 tablet for a server. ProtonVPN comes in free or paid form and is offered by a Swiss company; the free version uses a choice of servers in Holland, has no bandwidth usage limits and speeds are excellent.

Obviously if you are using a VPN then you can't cast to a Smart TV, so I use a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable from the tablet to my 50in TV. Depending on the quality of the stream the display can be average or excellent.

Mobdro offers many, many hundreds of channels, including all the UK terrestial versions, whilst Potato Streams is more sport orientated.

I also have a number of paid for steaming services, such as Amazon Prime and Now TV, but these are via the TV's apps and/or Fire Stick.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Sun 27 Sep 20 at 14:10
 Watching UK TV Abroad? - Bromptonaut
Welcome back Stuartli
Thank you, but I've never been away in the form of keeping up to date with threads!
>>Obviously if you are using a VPN then you can't cast to a Smart TV,

Why not? You can if the VPN is on the router.
>> Why not? You can if the VPN is on the router.>>

Because I'm discussing my setup. I only use a VPN for probably five per cent of the time I'm using it.
Sorry, I think I'm confused.

Just for the avoidance of my confusion then AIUI both the phone and the Chromecast need to use a VPN so the easiest approach is for the VPN to be on the server. If just the phone, or tablet, had a VPN then it would not work.
I'm not sure. I thought the telly and the phone needed to be on the same subnet, which they would be - your internal LAN - if you went the router method.
Only to initiate and control. Then not.

The phone can be switched off even. Or as was the case for me one time, it can be at Starbucks with your daughter.

Daughter regularly goes out leaving something casting to the TV. Doesn't pss me off at all.
>> I thought the telly and the phone needed to be on the same subnet, which they would be - your internal LAN - if you went the router method.>>

On my setup, Proton VPN is enabled on the tablet. The stream is then fed to the TV. There is also a version for routers, Windows, iOS etc. It's a Swiss company that provides it.

protonvpn.com/free-vpn

I think that ProtonVPN Free doesn't support things like iPlayer and other UK TV streaming services, which is a pretty key thing for me, though it says it does support Netflix and Hulu+ in some countries.

Apparently their 'plus' servers do but they are part of the paid offering.

I didn't try ProtonVPN, but I didn't get on very well with any of the free services I tried. Windscribe was probably the best but even that could only cope with iPlayer sporadically.

And of the paid ones NordVPN seems to be both the best and one of the most competitively priced.

It all depends on your requirements of course.
I'm using ProtonVPN in the UK, so obviously can't judge its performance abroad. But I find it spot on for my limited purposes, which is all anyone can ask.

But even if anyone has to pay for the service it would seem to prove good value, whether here or abroad.
Interesting. What's the value or use of a VPN for you other than disguising your location? (if you don't mind me asking).
For steaming sporting events that are not readily available.....
Last edited by: Stuartli on Sun 27 Sep 20 at 23:32
As a long shot, you wouldn't happen to know a good place for NFL streams, would you?

I particularly want to watch US broadcasts, I simply can't live with the UK pundits and Commentary.
>> As a long shot, you wouldn't happen to know a good place for NFL streams,
>> would you?
>>
>> I particularly want to watch US broadcasts, I simply can't live with the UK pundits
>> and Commentary.

I could do without the US commercials! I use the Torrentday IPTV streams
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 28 Sep 20 at 09:53
>>>I use the Torrentday IPTV streams

It says that it is now invite only, so find a friend to invite me.

Failing that, pay. And whilst it's not clear, it seems to be that $15 a month is the going rate. Seems rather expensive.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 28 Sep 20 at 15:36
I have discovered www.locast.org which is free access to local PBS. And PBS shows NFL games free to air which are local to it.

That would mean you'd need to log in as San Francisco if you wanted to watch the 49rs and Dallas to watch the Cowboys etc. etc. And that in turn would mean you'd need to be following the schedule closely, especially as there is no PVR functionality.

All in all, not what I'm looking for really but I mention it here since it is free access to US linear TV and a lot of channels so it might appeal to someone. To get the best service it wants a monthly $5 'donation'. "Donation" because it's only managing to escape the focus of the courts by being non-profit making.

Turn on VPN, go to the site, give email, confirm email, watch. That simple.

You can look at the program guide here, www.locast.org/markets/539 , without either signing up or having a VPN, though it won't let you watch anything. It'll give you an idea what it's like.

As an aside I notice that "The Virginian" is showing right now on Grit in Tampa Bay. I used to love that show. And "The Six Million Dollar Man" on COZI. Hmmmm........ Perhaps I shouldn't be too rash in discounting it.

[PBS= Public Broadcasting Service - it's a local free to air service to which US broadcasters must contribute in order to satisfy their broadcast responsibilities. Particularly for their sports broadcast licenses.]
>> Interesting. What's the value or use of a VPN for you other than disguising your
>> location? (if you don't mind me asking).

Bypasing Virgin medias block on certain torrent sites.
 Watching UK TV Abroad? - car4play
I'm surprised NordVPN isn't blocked by BBC iPlayer. I tried with IPVanish (VPN) to access and found it blocked as they know the VPN nodes.

I may switch to NordVPN when my subscription runs out in a few months. Seems to be the one to go for.

I had to use our own VPN to access BBC. If you are feeling really techy one can set up a VPN on one of Amazon's free tier EC2 instances. They too have a cost eventually and this will be around the price of a bought service.
 Watching UK TV Abroad? - sherlock47
ExpressVPN is generally ok - when it does get blocked a communication with their help desk will elicit advice on which node best to use.

I can only guess that they can change IP addresses for individual nodes, once they have been recognised. Possibly BBC track for multip[le/simultaneous IP address usage?
>>I think once it is casting you can do other stuff with your phone while the stream continues to play on the TV - except walk too far away

Your phone works as a launch device then as a remote control. Unless new commands are sent by the phone the Chromecast connects directly to the source and bypasses your phone.

Other than the fact that it is your remote control, the phone does not continue to be involved.

I use iPlayer through NordVPN. Not had a problem yet. The last time I used it was Match of the Day last night.
I'm in Portugal now and just set up the Fire stick. The only internet in this rental is a 4g dongle but actually it could be 3g or worse based on performance. So I have tethered my 2nd phone which has 100Gb SIM to use rather than their tat.

I just put the Firestick on and it worked right away. The phone is not on VPN. I haven't thought it through but I didn't think it would work as easily. nJust as well as I was up at 01:30 to get to the airport and am feeling a bit jaded!!
One of my favourite countries is Portugal. Many happy times & memories. Whereabouts are you?

I don't know anything about Firesticks, but I'm becoming kind of an expert on watching UK TV abroad, so if I can help......
 Watching UK TV Abroad? - Falkirk Bairn
A son lives in Texas - he has YOUTUBE TV as his main feed for TV.

The problem is that US channels carrying UK TV you never know what channel & what time. Equally coverage by US channels of say Golf/Tennis etc, will show only USA players despite possibly some good Europeans doing well.

To get around the issue he has a VPN & uses a desktop computer to watch I-player /more4 etc which he then directs to a television screen in the house.

He also has a box that he bought some 7 years ago (Slingbox??) - his brother's SKY box has the other half - he can watch Sky Sports etc with UK commentary rather than the US commentary.

In Texas Youtube TV is about £20/mth, All you can eat Sports from around the world inc all Premiership matches is £15 extra. VPN is about £30/year.
Was it September when I posted this? Blimey.

Where's BBD been for the last 3 months, you ask.

Watching telly, that's what I've been doing. Catching up on 16 years of good old British telly that I've missed. Those terms that I never heard of before - bingeing, streaming, i.players and hubs and all that stuff. No longer do my eyes glaze over when friends start going on about 'Fleabag this' and 'Fleabag that', I can actually watch it. Not that I shall - I'm hooked on Minder at the moment. That's proper telly.

So thanks to those who helped me out. Very much appreciated, indeed.

I shall reply to any comments (after Father Brown, BBC1, 2.45pm (my time)).

Cheers!
 Watching UK TV Abroad? - legacylad
Whilst in Spain pre Christmas for a few months my rental had satellite TV. More channels than you could shake a stick at. I began watching re runs of The Sweeney. Mainly for the cars and locations. The dialogue has aged somewhat.
Stay healthy !
 Watching UK TV Abroad? - Falkirk Bairn
My Texas based son has all the TV he could wish for.

Youtube TV £50 / month and includes all you can eat European football
9am - all 3.00pm football to choose from in normal times

$5 per month for VPN gives him BBC/I-player, all our terrestrial channels
Apart from Basketball, US Football he watches nil US channels.
He has a UK TV licence for his UK home.
Cor that YouTube in Texas has gone up a lot since you posted about it in Sept (two posts above!! :-) )
And the VPN has doubled in price.
 Watching UK TV Abroad? - Duncan
>> Cor that YouTube in Texas has gone up a lot since you posted about it
>> in Sept (two posts above!! :-) )
>>

Pendant Corner

Three posts above.
 Watching UK TV Abroad? - tyrednemotional
>>
>> Pendant Corner
>>